E-tec In Demand

Paul D

A bit of a shock today when i recieved a phone call from the boat yard saying someone was trying to steal my engine so you should come down and have a look!

i arrived to see:

Engine still on boat but two of the bolts removed some nuts

All wiring disconnected and wrapped around the case

Remote control removed and lying on the floor

Steering disconnected

Prop gone

What a nightmare not a nice feeling at all!

At least the engine was in tact and it appears they were doing a proffesional job- no v cut out of the transom etc.

there was a hole cut in the wire fence at the back of the boat which is how they got in.

Either they got disturbed or they were coming back tonight to remove it.

Police report done and insurance call to do tomorrow

im free to crew for the couple of weeks!

PJ

Edited by Paul J

Sorry to hear about the engine Paul

Perhaps its time to sit outside the fence and keep a look out for your Friends retunn

I am sure there is a base ball bat here somewhere if you need a hand

Bas####s

If you need anything to help with the repair give me a call

Charlie biggrin.gif

Paul

I think Kam has a point, many policies insist on a locking system and without evidence that there was one would squirm out of a claim.

I am sure they must have damaged a cheap one during their attempted theft ph34r.gifwink.gif

But definatly check your small print before claiming

We had a theft at work with no evidence of a forced entry and therefore received no payment from our insurers. 3k lost

Charlie biggrin.gif

I suspect in PJ's case they probably had "cased the joint" previously. The location is an obvious one to steal from and PJ's boat was in a position whereby it could be "worked on" without being spotted.

I suspect it is no co-incidence that a RIB was stolen from the boatyard down the river a couple of months earlier.

It is also a reminder that it pays to be paranoid. I always think, if I were a thief the first place I would go is to a website like this one and then start learning where boats / engines etc. are.

These unscrpulous characters will steal the horrors from your nightmares. Thieves are becoming more and more high tech in their eforts to take your property.

The difficult part is catching them, the even more dificult part is the recovery of stolen property, and then the most difficult part of the investigation is coupling up property to a burglary/theft and its lawfull owner. You only have to have a gleg at Bumblebee auctions on the web to see exactly what is being stolen, recovered stored for three months, then flogged without even a chance of finding an owner. Take it from me, Police Property stores are full to the gunwalls, because folk will not mark, photograph serial numbers on kit, or such like. It makes an inverstigation so much easier if an officer has a picture to work with.

Most police officers couldnt tell you a warrior from Arvour, an etec from a bigfoot. Bear this in mind, photgraph your property, record serial numbers, remove electronics where possible, and make it difficult to let them in. Ask a simple qustion. Could I steal this?? If the answer is yes, then the thief, who is mostly an accomplished individual, will have no problems whatsoever.

Pehaps a service that the club could offer its members, is a catalogue of boats, by picture, outboards by picture and serial number, and electronics by picture and serial number. Electronics can be couvertly marked with post codes written in UV ink, in more than place on each item of kit. For gods sakes.....lets make it difficult for them to target PBSBAC members.

Rich

Paul

At least, you avoided going down to the boat, all ready for a pleasant day afloat, only to find your day ruined by these total wasters. What is most galling is that there is or seems to be a ready market for this type of stuff. I remember the Police descending on one stall holder at Beaulieu one year and removing most of his second hand engines.

I'm not sure nowdays that the market is in the UK, as I have read this stuff quickly goes across the channel. I'm not sure the solution lies in security marking, but at least datatag have these transponder thingies which you can hide inside your engine covers, but does anyone check for these ?

This must have left you wondering what next ? - I only hope you get it back together and get fully insured.

Regards

Paul

If you find out who they are i'm sure they would make excellent groundbait (just a thought) cool.gif

Datatag seems to only be of any use if your gear falls into the hands of someone who wants to know if it is stolen, if you stole it in the first place or are receiving you wouldn't care! datatag themselves have only issued 36 guns in the uk over the last 12 years. My district constabulary don't even know if they have a datatag gun and it took 3 weeks for them to send an SOC officer to see me after i had a jetski stolen that was stored in my alarmed and monitored garage. Marine theft seems to be a low priority in the eyes of the law.

hope you get it all back together without a fuss and get back on the water soon

Simon L

PJ, this may sound a waste of time, but bear with me on this one. If you feel that the constabulary have not done quite what you would have expected them to do, take time out to record who has done what in the investigation to trace offenders. If you can think of something that they havent done, write a letter of complaint to the Chief Constable, not the oik who is scratching his buttocks in the queue at Burger King. Tell the cheif exactly how you are feeling, but more importantly, cc the letter to the Chair of the Local Police Authority. As soon as you do this, the wheels of motion amazingly become well greased and things start to happen.

The Constabulary are answerable to the LPA, and they have to follow complaints up. By writing the letter, you will be helping the wound heal a tad quicker. If it helps, I know the story from both sides of the fence, both as plod, and the aggrieved in a

Rich,

I dont have any grievance against the police, i'd rather just get it fixed and move

I just hope the b...stds are reading this so they can see that everyones aware of what they are up to.

perhaps they will stay away from Boats flying our pennants if they know they will get exposed on this site ( dought it but who knows)

Thanks for your advice though

PJ

Edited by Paul J