Day Off And A Nice Catch

Paul D

Got the week off so as the weather looked to be calming down, headed out of Christchurch for a go at the bass ( not the usual mark by the island ).

Fishing was slow but hooked into an 8lb 4oz bass whilst setting up my other rod. Unfortunately the fish was well deep hooked, so have had to eat it for my tea ( and very tasty it was ) + plenty left for a few more meals.

Helen has bought one of them vegetable steamers and they cook bass beautifully. Steamed fish is now my favourite cooking method.

Picture attached.

bass.jpg

Got the week off so as the weather looked to be calming down, headed out of Christchurch for a go at the bass ( not the usual mark by the island ).

Paul,

As soon as I saw the photo I knew exactly the mark where you caught your dinner and now I'm heart broken, no I can't believe it, you've eaten "GEORGE". I was so looking forward to catching him again.

Gordon H

Paul beat me at the bass fishing today....... I could only manage one 4 lber. .... but ........ I did show him how to get a trigger or two......

...... not so big today ............ two of them together weighed 4 --4 ..... but there was a big one that got away !!

I was caught with my trousers down [ so to speak ] , having a pee..... , screaming bite......... hook - up, big , thumping fish , staying deep ............ but had had tiime to dive into the rocks..... where it wedged itself [ with the trigger !!], and was immoveable ...... even when left 30 mins. + other winkling tricks .... but they don't work on triggers.

By lunch ..... the wind was fresh .....against the tide..... and looking to be going downhill fast

Thanks, Paul, for the offer of a nice bream...... but I did have a few.....and it looks like you can use the livebait tank as keepnet also........ to select supper !!

..... and put a few back [ recovered !].

Alun.

PS >>>>>>>>>> looks like tomorrow's plans are scuppered by weather !!

Yes ...... well done Paul !! ........... you did look well pleased with yourself.

Don't feel you have to rush to finish eating the rest...... keep it in the fridge and wait [ several days], it may well surprise you how much better it could be !!

I'm collecting more evidence.......... before posting my latest culinary exploits.

Alun. [ Gastronaut ].

.......could be name of new boat.

That is indeed a new personal best. When Gordon took the photo we both looked at each other saying it made the fish look a bit bigger and I am well chuffed with the quality of pictures the mobile takes, they are actually better than my camera !

That said it was 27 inches long and weighed 8lb 4 oz so would be interesting to see where that falls on the weight / length scale. The flesh was certainly pretty thick.