Smart Tabs

Member Removed

Thanks for the piccy Adam, exactly what I wanted to know, as usual!

How big are the plates in the ST1290-60 kit?

Very helpful Tom! laugh.gif

The orange mark is where I've cleaned the antifoul off to make sure I get a good watertight seal when I screw the transducer on.

It might be a dodgy angle and a saggy bag combining to give that impression Tom. tongue.gif

Will take another picture later for your perusal.

My set of Smart tabs 1290-60 are here now and awaiting fitting. Would you like to see them and offer them up to the blunt end so you could see where the would fit?

Bearing in mind Adams advise that they should be fitted as far outboard as pos', if this was done on your boat that would place one slap bang on the transducer position. Therefor you would need to locate the transducer more inboard towards the center line.

Mad Mike

Exactly why I thought I'd see where Smart Tabs would go (if I were to get some) before screwing the transducer on!

Thanks Mike, that could be useful.

Anyway, I've paused the transducer mounting at the moment in favour of getting the trailer running! And stopping! laugh.gif

Exactly why I thought I'd see where Smart Tabs would go (if I were to get some) before screwing the transducer on!

Thanks Mike, that could be useful.

Anyway, I've paused the transducer mounting at the moment in favour of getting the trailer running! And stopping! laugh.gif

Tomorrow afternoon OK ?

Mad Mike

Cheers Mike, I don't want to hold you up so I'll measure up a couple of bits of card... (or just send for some Smart Tabs? biggrin.gif )

The sig is a song lyric... I'm not paranoid, I just tend to do my research and plan things out for a while before leaping in and drilling holes all over the place!

I have the 165 also with the DF70 and know what your going through there! we fitted the smart tabs with the 60lb actuators and had exactly the same problems of reduced top speed. We got there in he end with nearly maximum angle (just slightly raised) and the middle pressure setting. What suprised me is how little adjustment made masses of difference. I have quite a few pics if any more info is required.

Also told that where possible remove the actuators and store inside in a dry environment, bit hard on a moring but easy if you tow the boat about.

Hope this may help

Yes Mike,

Try for Monday evening

your hangover may of gone by then sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

plus you may need a clear head to think wink.gif

Gary

Gazza, now I have got them and had a look they seem to be almost fool proof to fit

(I guess I will be the ultimate test of that), so further fitting advice is not needed but thank you for your kind offer.

I guess the tricky bit is getting the setting right and I also guess that that depends on the actual boat. How one achieves adjusting to the right setting is a little baffling to me apart from hanging over the back end with spanner in one hand and screwdriver in the other between each test run?

Mad Mike

Even that is tricky Mike, even for a young flexible whipper snapper like myself!!

We went out for a morning around Brownsea and found a sectipon of shallow beach where we could jump out with chest waders on.

As I have noted before, take a pan and paper and log the results against the settings - planing time, planing speed and top speed - but overall you will just get a 'feel' for what is best after about an hour.

Most 165 owners have found that maximum angle on the tabs coupled with medium actuator pressure works best, but as you say engine and boat combinations can effect this.

Adam

Even that is tricky Mike, even for a young flexible whipper snapper like myself!!

We went out for a morning around Brownsea and found a sectipon of shallow beach where we could jump out with chest waders on.

As I have noted before, take a pan and paper and log the results against the settings - planing time, planing speed and top speed - but overall you will just get a 'feel' for what is best after about an hour.

Most 165 owners have found that maximum angle on the tabs coupled with medium actuator pressure works best, but as you say engine and boat combinations can effect this.

Adam

The method you described Adam was the best solution that I could come up with too. However it is nice to know that those who know used the same method. I seem to remember you did yours when the weather was brass monkeys ohmy.gif

I hope to do my adjustments on a hot summers day smile.gif as I have not got the fortitude that fit blokes like you have laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Just checked my set-up;

Maximum angle, minimum actuator pressure.

Fully loaded 165 with moderate power (60hp 4 stroke).

Have fun! biggrin.gif

Thank you Adam, I will probably use those as a starting point, but do you have a bait tank ? I don't so will the lighter stern make much of a difference?

Suck it and see I s'pose is the answer. biggrin.gif

Mad Mike

Mike

My only advice would be to make a decent template out of timber or plastic to get the 25 degrees angle as the bit of paper they give you is rather flimsey.

Also an extra pair of hands will help alot when offering it up to mark the position!

hope it goes well

Gary

Also an extra pair of hands will help alot when offering it up to mark the position!

I know, we really should have evolved with four arms shouldn't we laugh.gif

I was going to use a variable bevel set to 25deg and block it up to the hull with a length of wood so as to leave two hands free. Either that of a sky hook!

Mad Mike

I have to say, I went the same way as you, Mike, and managed fairly easily single handed. You won't need any more than 30 degrees so if you set them for the middle of the brackets (approx 25 degrees) on both the extension and pressure brackets, tighten up, mark the holes, double check the angle then drill, you shouldn't have any problem.

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

• 3 weeks later...

OK, phase one complete, all the bits assembled, just need to attach them to the transom...

The instructions suggest zinc anodes are required, but I'm guessing that as they are not attched to the electrical system and are mounted on a GRP boat which is trailered (not kept moored) they're not really required?

C.

Yep, I'm nearly there now, and it's only taken me as long as it's taken Charlie C to build a boat, 3 times the size of Star Turn, from scratch! laugh.gif

The trouble is I start a little job on the boat to tidy it up a bit and then begin thinking "Hmmm, while that's off I might as well just..." Fatal isn't it. rolleyes.gif

I am hoping to get her in the water on the Bank Holiday weekend (I'll blend in amongst all the other muppets) and would certainly appreciate a helping hand or two.

If I can get the windows back in this week I might even make in time for the Family Day, although mine can't join me this time as we've got a visitor from the good ol' U.S of A turning up about lunch time.

Fingers crossed!