Smart Tabs

Member Removed

Cant comment on the actuator size ( Adam has them fitted to his, so will know better the size ).

If you fit the tabs with too large an angle down then they will act as brakes as described. I presume you have the angle as per the template that comes with them ?

Try sending off an e-mail to nauticus ( info@nauticusinc.com ) I found them extremely helpful.

Onslow,

60lb actuators are correct for the 165. I only have a 60hp on mine, and to be fair, I havent noticed a rise in top speed, but it certianly hasnt got any slower, and the boat is now much more useable.

Assuming you have fitted them correctly, as per the instructions - you may need to play around with the settings. I found that maximum angle (down) and minimum pressure setting (Actuator closest to the boat) works best for me - gets me planning quicker and at lower speeds and makes the boat more stable.

I spent a morning in the harbour with a spanner, a pen and paper and a pair of waders trying all settings and recording planing time and speed and max speed.

Let me know if you need further help.

Regards

Here is a picture

Everything is fitted according to instructions ( i think !) Kit number : ST 1290 -60

The flaps are angled down 25 degrees in mid position. I will try to play around with the settings, but i can only move the actuater about 2 centimeters towards the boat . Do you think that will be enough ? - or should i try to 40 lbs actuater instead ?. I dont carry much weight but the motor is heavy (162 kg)

By the way, transducer works fine in this position

Regards

Onslow

post-6-1154094083jpg

I'm by no way an expert at anything to do with boats or fishing, in fact everything I've learned has been in the last 8 months from the visitors to this fantastic club's site, but Nauticus reckon on using the smaller ST980-40 kit for my Shetland which is 17' 7" and has a 50Hp Johnson 2 stroke on the back. Like Paul says, you might want to wing them an e-mail to check if you haven't already done so. They are very good- I sent an e-mail just before lunch and they have just replied.

Perhaps Adam carries more weight at his stern than you do i.e. it might be that your actuators are a bit stiff for your particular 165's set up?

I'm sure other contributors will comment on this!

By the way, I notice your trailer number plate isn't a Brit one. Where are you based?

Yes, Onslow, pretty much exact, except you seem to have a shallower angle (25 degrees) and the mid pressure setting, but if this works for your combination, that's cool.

BTW, where in Denmark are you? We have friends in Lemvig who we are going to visit for a fishing fest and are looking forward to trying for sea trout from the sea shore.

Terry.

No, he's mostly a trout and salmon angler (by the way, nice one in the picture). We met originally in Canada, salmon and sturgeon fishing. If anything, his wife is even more fanatical than him. They are good company and fortunately have quite good English as Danish is a complete mystery to me. It is completely unlike any other languages I have studied. We were originally coming this month but the plans fell through when their work schedule changed. Looking forward to a new date but may have to put off 'till next year.

Terry.

Why we are on the subject of trim tabs, anyone know of maintenance ideas for the actuators underneath the rubber gaitors?

Do we need to grease them or oil them or is this a bad idea??

I fitted mine after a trip on Maverick, with Martins advice i realised i shouldn`t really be going along with my bow pointing skywards!!!! huh.gif

best thing i ever bought for the boat!!

Gary

Mike, i believe you live in the Kinson area???

I live Castleton Ave . If you would like to see my trim tabs fitted to a warrior 165 you are more than welcome to come and have a look.

Gary

That's very kind of you. May I PM you on Monday so we can arrange.

Our American visitor arrives tomorrow (with trim tabs) and I expect I will end up very drunk by tea time laugh.gif As we are having a bit of a bash to welcome her.

Mad Mike

Hmmm, for my Family Four Nauticus have said ST980-40 but shop says ST1290-60

So now I'not sure which would be the right ones.

Thinking of what's been said on the trailer thread about the Shetland being heavy I'm starting to lean towards the ST1290-60's, what do you lot think?

And where would they go on the shaped hull of a Family Four?

post-6-1154346385jpg

I would imagine the bigger ones as the Shetland must be similar to the 165...

The tabs need to go as far out towards the transom as possible, whilst still staying on the flat plane of the hull, somehting like this:

post-6-1154349385ibf

Charlie

On a completely different subject, your transducer need fitting about where the orange mark is on the hull in the picture!

....was that helpful?

PS: Do you have a bigger picture showing the transom and engine leg in the down position? It may be a dodgy camera angle, but the outboard leg looks too long for the transom in the picture....