Anchor Trip

Wedger

ps I am currently on the wagon so will unfortunately have to miss out on your little concoction (or come off the wagon I suppose..............)

I don't know about on the wagon, but don't advise drinking these babies "on the boat". A couple the night before is good for a giggle though....

Tom

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....sorry to be a pain but back to the topic for a moment...in the excellent drawings by Bob F, I noticed that the trip was on a one piece Bruce anchor. Would you do the same thing on a hinged 2 piece CQR type anchor where the tripping eye is on the wobbly plough bit?

Regards,

Harry

Thanks for your imput lad's. But it is the only way we trip the anchor up here. But it was the way I was tought by the lad's . And that is by men that have been doing this for year's. So next time I am out I will give the bow end a go and see how I get on. As when I come down I don't want to tred on your safety officer's toe's.

But how did the subject get round to drinking ???it must be a verry sore point down there

Reg unsure.gif

....sorry to be a pain but back to the topic for a moment...in the excellent drawings by Bob F, I noticed that the trip was on a one piece Bruce anchor. Would you do the same thing on a hinged 2 piece CQR type anchor where the tripping eye is on the wobbly plough bit?

Regards,

Harry

The trip should be fitted as far down the shaft of the anchor as possible and usually just "behind" the flukes.

You need to be able to pull the anchor out backwards. If the trip is set infront of the flukes it won't work so efficiently.

Tom

Harry - no. You have to rig a seperate trip line on those or go without.

Reg - I believe that this is a product of fishing small boats in an area with significant ledges that can have very quick tidal flows and nasty overfalls - all appearing in a moment.

98% of the time I would tie a stuck anchor to the stern on Phaeton to rip it out without a second thought - well maybe a thought as to whether it's actually going to come out! The other 2% I have been know to wait out a whole tide until slack water before getting involved in trying to recover the damm thing!

Duncan, thanks for the advice. If I have a separate trip line to a small float above the anchor, can I still use an Alderney ring with a big float too? I assume the potential danger would then be a stuck anchor and no means of tripping it with the power of the boat engine. Harry

Harry,

Alderney ring is a recovery method rather than a trip although many use it as trip and rip!

Seperate trip line wont interfere with the operation of the AR recovery but in general I have to say they are a pain in any tide or depth of water.

I would seriously consider switching to a one piece anchor for areas you might get snaggeed - unfortunately that includes gettign pot lines as well as rocky areas so I would just change anyway!

Bruce copy/M/claw is only

Harry

I used to use a cqr and used to trip it from the bottom where I believe there is an attachment point. The thing to remember is to put an additional cable tie on the rope side of the pivot point on to keep the warp pulling in a straight line. If you dont do this your anchor will trip in large tides when you dont want it to.

The thing to do is when you are down here fishing in company ask to see how your buddy does it.

Martin

Duncan,

I could be incorrect here, but I am 99% sure that Charlie uses ( or should I say used to use ) a CQR anchor ( ie. one with a swivelly bit on it ) and had it tripped.

I am sure he will comment if this is the case !

Duncan

Can you give me the address of the place where they sell the Bruce claw/m claw copy's I would be much obliged as I can come down ready prepared.

Thanks

Reg

One can buy them on ebay and even with the delivery charge they are cheaper than most chandlers.

Mad Mike

PS Try http://search.ebay.co.uk/bruce-anchor_W0QQ...Q3aTB2Q3aUKQ3a2

There are 29 at the moment

This topic has certainly given rise to a large amount of comment etc. As a complete newcomer I must say that the whole idea of getting an anchor stuck is quite worrying. Does it happen often and with a tripped anchor is recovery usually accomplished? I have a small boat (Orkney Strikeliner) and am not sure of being able to use too much grunt to motor the anchor out in a tricky situation.

Any thoughts please.

By the way I am hoping to be going out from Christchurch on saturday to drown a few worms. If I see any boat namesw that I recognise I' come and watch how it's done.....fishing that is.

Thanks

Steve