Which Small Boat?

Newboy

Hi Kam

I used to have a Dell Quay 15 which was a super little boat in calm seas, at anchor and on the drift (stability was great for such a tiny boat). The downside came when trying to make good headway in any form of chop... ...It slammed like a goodun.

The Dory and Cathedral style hulls have some great benefits and they can be like fishing from a pontoon, but such a wide entry bow is bound to make for a bumpy ride in a chop.

If you go for this style be very careful of the amount of freeboard as usually it is all but non existent (on the Dell Quay anyway) and you may want to consider fitting extra rails for safety.

With regards open boats generally, the more modern centre console stye do tend to offer a level of protection underway (to varying degrees depending on console and screen size) and on a clear winters day are not realy any worse than open cuddy styles, however if the heavens open you have no real place to shelter (the bigger ones have sit in consoles) and still see your gear. The huge plus to them is tremendous all round space, great for drifting, uptiding, retrieving the anchor, taking the family out etc etc. The majority are quite sporty and will also double up as ski boats etc should you want them to.

You are welcome to come and have a quick blast on the one I used for the PBSBAC training day. I am not suggesting for one minute that this actual boat would be the boat for you as, relatively speaking, it is huge, however it will give you a very good all round impression of an open boat. This model is produced down to 17 feet rather than the 25 footer here.

Tom

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I have a withy 495 which is very light and I can launch her myself no problem

She hold's the sea well as I have been cought out once or twice. I have a 30hp johnson which will give you 18 knots Does tend to slam a bit when you give it the gun only trouble is anymore than two onboard you are well cramped.

Reg

BFM have an article on the open version of the 520 this month - hard to beleive that mine is the same with a cuddy ( rigid dodger ) attached.

Launching is a breeze single handed ( now I have sorted my trailer rollers out smile.gif ).

Hi Kam,

If you want to look at a couple of small Orkneys, check out Crayside Marine web site Crayside Marine as he has a 13ft Spinney, open boat, for sale and a picture of the 14ft Coastliner which has a cuddy, the boat is sold but I know he gets a lot pass through.

Coddy

cool.gif

I had the sailing version of the Spinny which was called a Skua as 'my other boat' for a time. An amazing little sea boat, when I used it with a 7.5hp outboard it would cork over big waves at the most alarming angles but never ever took a drop of water over the bow.

Mad Mike

Mike It is a with 495 but it got abrevated to withy up here. It seems they are very poplar in scotland as I think Mr Wills takes a lot of his boats up there.

I did not have mine foam filled as it put's a fair bit of extra weight on but as for launch and recovering Its light enough for one man to manage on his own. The only drawback I find is that the gunnels are a bit low but that might be me having long legs" You really want hand rails all round for safety. But apart from that I can't fault them.

Reg