Which Small Boat?

Newboy

I am hoping to put Sweet Honey on Boatandoutboards soon. I plan to buy a much smaller boat once she is sold, so in the ad I will take a P/X on a small fishing boat.

The question is 'Which small boat should I consider? I want a 13-16' fishing boat, light, so that it will seat on an unbraked trailer, easily launched and retrieve with just one man (me), reasonable deck space. I have looked at Boat and Outboards, I've narrowed it down to the following: Shetland-sheltie, fast fisher, dolphin/cadat, 536; Pilot; CJR; Seahog/trooper; Dory; Orkney 440 and Dejon 14.

I like those Shetland boat, I used to have a sheltie variant, it was light and handled the sea well. It never slams, it cuts thru the wakes cleanly. The sheltie being the upper limit (over really as it's 17'6"), but the rest is well under.

I understand the Pilot, CJR, Seahogs and dory are all Catherdral hull (Tri-hull?). I have heard of people commenting they slam a bit. What is the ride really like? How would a open boat like a Dory or Boston Whaler typed boat handle? Do you get wet/soaked?

Orkney and Dejon 14 are displacement hull, slower but fairly stable both on the run and anchored.

Bearing in mind, I want to fish the inshore water around Soton and IOW, maybe venture out to the X'church ledge for the bream in extremely good weather. The boat doesn't have to be children friendly, as the kids didn't really like boating/fishing that much, the few times I took them out on Sweet Honey, they asked within 30 mins of setting off from Lymington:"When are we going home?" mad.gif

For me fishing in a small boat is just a way to relax and get away from everything else. I used to anchored just off Hamble and fished for a few hours. Never caught much, a few bass, small smut, plenty of crabs, but I enjoyed it.

Hi Kam

I had a Seahog Hunter, 15ft with a 40hp Evinrude 2-stroke and it went ok no problems.

Very easy to launch if the rollers are kept greased as I had bunks to support the sides.

Yes it did slam if trying to go too fast in large waves but so does the Warrior at times!

It is very stable at anchor and ideal to fish 2 in comfort with a cuddy to stow gear.

No front hatch so lazy line anchoring is the way to go.

Did not like the look of the Shorty version but others swear by them.

Depending on your budget the Orkney Strikliner is a fine boat and will get you home in some poor weather albeit not fast.

Check out my website for other ideas from users.

Coddy

cool.gif

Kam

Of all the boats you have posted here I would probably go along with your first choice. The Shetland sheltie. It is an old design but is a good inshore boat that was very popular in the 80's - early 90's

Regarding slamming, all small boats will slam if driven hard enough but some are worse than others. A poorly designed cathedral hull is akin to putting an outboard on the back of a builders skip (well almost) Others are not so bad. All that said I used to own a Pilot 17' which had a semi cathedral hull and I loved it. The upside of cathedral hulls is there stability.

Orkney 440's are I believe semi displacement and as such can give a fair turn of speed.

Dejons have been around since I was a lad so their an old design. To be honest I would steer clear. They appear to be seriously lacking in the stability department with no room for the cat.

The Dolphin Cadet have also been around for years in various guises but is not a bad boat for the size.

At the end of the day you pays yer money and all that tongue.gif

Martin

Hi Kam,

If interested, I can show you all the pros. / cons. of an Orkney 4 40.

I've had one from new for the last 4 years...... and she's a joy for single - handed fishing [ all the points you mentioned ].

I'm doing more fishing with others [ this is cramped and slow ] , so I'm going the opposite way to you.......... and looking to go bigger , later this year.

Come for a spin out of Mudeford when it warms up a bit and see if it suits.

Cheers,

Alun.

Dave, I do like the look of either the Trio or Hunter, small and light. How slow is the strikeliner? I don't plan on very big outboard anyway, just something to push me along around 15k would be nice. I plan to spend no more than half of what I get for Sweet Honey.

Martin, the sheltie would be my number choice as I had one before but it's a little on the large side. Isn't the cadat built by Shetland in the 90's?

Alun, would love to go out in your boat when you have time. You are lucky you live by the sea, It takes me 2 hours from leaving home to finally set off from the slip, not to mention all the washing down afterward, rather then it being an enjoyment, it becames a chores unsure.gif .

Kam,

10k would buy you a nice Orkney 520. Easy to launch and retrieve single handed and 21 knots with a 30hp Yammy loaded up. Slams a bit but don't they all.

Simon.

Simon,

I must get to see your trailer sometime, as I need to get the rollers adjusted n mine to make retrieval a little easier.

Kam,

From your to do list of uses for the boat you can immediately eliminate the Dejon 14, it's only suitable for rivers and Poole Park boating lake. My father in law used to have one and as already mentioned, this design has some serious issues with lateral stability.

Gordon H

Kam,

10k would buy  you a nice Orkney 520. Easy to launch and retrieve single handed and 21 knots with a 30hp Yammy loaded up. Slams a bit but don't they all.

Simon.

Simon,

I must get to see your trailer sometime, as I need to get the rollers adjusted n mine to make retrieval a little easier.

Paul,

no problem, next time you're in Poole let me know and I'll let you have a look.

Kam,

From your to do list of uses for the boat you can immediately eliminate the Dejon 14, it's only suitable for rivers and Poole Park boating lake. My father in law used to have one and as already mentioned, this design has some serious issues with lateral stability.

Gordon H

I must agree about the Dijon, downright dangerous if used in coastal waters.

I also agree that if top speed is not too important an Orkney is a very good boat.

However I can thouroughly recommend the WITH (pronounced Wit) group of boats. Unsinkable, very fast with low HP engines and excellent sea boats.

A Scandenavian design, and built to their very stringent safety and construction rules. They also hold their price very well because of all the plus features.

Mad Mike

Kam,

Not that I have a fraction of the experience of most of the guys but Martin referred to the pilot 17

All that said I used to own a Pilot 17' which had a semi cathedral hull and I loved it. The upside of cathedral hulls is there stability.

. I would heartily agree I've fished The needles to Durlston Head for 5-6 years in my Wilson Flyer 17 (all-but identical hull to the Pilot) and loved it too. Will be giving her a polish soon and putting her on the market as I need to crack on with Otter. I would add my Wilson might be considered entry level and basic but has served me very well.

Wedger

cool.gif

Kam,

Whenever you like !!

Decide how you want to use the trip.........

..... if you want to come out and have a fish....... then wait till things warm up a bit;

..... if you want to have a whizz about and see how she goes single-handed and two up; launch / retrieve etc. ........ then anytime it's not too rough or cold

Have a think and I'll probably catch up with you Sat. [ on the river ] ??

Alun.

Having had several open boats over the years I

can say they are good to use in the summer months, You can anchor drift as you wish. A cathederal hull is probably the best bet over all due to the fantastic stability and carrying capacity, but you do need to wear suitable clothing as even on a summers day an open boat gets quite windswept and cold.

Mad Mike

Your welcome to come and have a go on my Whaler.

you have to dress like an artic explorer this time of year though

ah what a shame..............

I found it not much better with a cuddy........... sad.gif

then there was the hard top............. smile.gif

finally the hard top with heater............. biggrin.gif

takes your choice I guess.

on a more serious note re dory's I found mine (17ft Fletcher) had a relatively low freeboard and you feel 'exposed' in a way that the Orkney and others of that ilk just doesn't.

equally that same 'stability' means that when the wter is going up and down - at anchor or drifting - you do too.

Kam,

I have a folding dodger on my 4 40..... this is like a collapsable cuddy.

Most of the time I have it folded down, then I have an open boat with access all around , for lines out in more directions !!... and easy access to anchor and warp.

If the wind gets up or if it's cold [ and you still want to stay out ] , then up comes the dodger for cuddy-like protection [ but it is small..... as are cuddies on 4 40 s].

Anyway, you'll see when you come and have a go.

I like the arrangement and will probably opt for same on new, bigger boat.

Alun.