Antifouling

spNOam

Mike - absolutely agree with the neutralisation - generally this is achieved to a great degree by polish and wax on a boat after a good 'wash off'. GRP and SS appreciate the attention!

Tom - the optimum (critical/key/?) word you used was brillo. Next you will be trying to convince me that when you said 'hoover' you meant use a 'dustpan and brush'..... rolleyes.gif

We used to use Oxalic Acid in the motor trade (and this will date me  ) to bleach back the colour of dull grey wood on Morris 1000 Travelers.

Eeeeeeeeeeer Mike,

unsure.gif

Would phosphoric acid descaler work?

ph34r.gif

As you boys seem to like playing with chemicals, try diluted nitric acid (50/50 mix with water) which is also excellent for removing marine growth no matter how long its been building up.

Gordon H

Bubble bubble toil and trouble

Eye of newt etc etc

Do we have enough members to form a coven? ph34r.gif

Mad Mike

a lot of teak cleaners have octolic acid in them and are great for returning colour to the hull by removing the staining.

Y10 is an expensive gel that works better the warmer the weather is, I use boatgoard teak cleaner much cheaper and easy to use on a damp cloth.

I try and pick a warm day and use hot water on the cloth.

You can get neat octolic acid from the chemists, some of the yachties use it, by diluting in hot water untill no more crystals will dilute

rust stains on stainless go in seconds with just a cloth application and a wipe off

no spillages so nothing for the do gooders to wory about biggrin.gif

Charlie. biggrin.gif

Sorry Mike

Bit tired

to much time in the Garden maybe wink.gifwink.gif or to many styrene fumes rolleyes.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gif

Charlie

Charlie, back in the 70's when I had the big Romany laid up, I was so engrossed in what I was doing and holding measurements in my head. When I stepped off the boat to go down to the workbench and saw I totaly forgot it was now 8ft or so in the air and I should be going down the ladder!!! ohmy.gif Yes mate straight over the wrong side to crash into the concrete below!! sad.gif

Tricky things boats! laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Thanks for the link...how far will 10kg of oxalic crystals go? (how many kg's to a boat?)

Depends on how many people you want to kill and how quick you want them to die ph34r.gif .

True answer is......... I would start by making up a mixture of a pint of warm water and a weight of Oxalic acid, making sure that you keep a record of how much acid you use. Try this, it will either work fine in which case try a little less acid next time to economise. Do this with separate pints untill you find a dilution that does not work well, Then go back one step. If it does not work well first time add more acid but make sure at each step you keep a record of how much you add so that in the end you can make up a larger amount by keeping to the same ratio. Once you have the correct ratio and you want to mix up a larger batch add some cheap wallpaper paste crystals. This will make the mix thixotropic (it will stick to a surface and not run). You need to leave the mix on to give it time to work, once again experiment will guide you to the optimum length of time.

Mad Mike

Poole Harbour is fairly brackish due to all the underwater springs and the 4 rivers that flow into it.

When I first launched my boat I used a cheap antifoul and kept it on a trot mooring at Rockley from June 2000 until Sept 2001 (15 months). When I took it out we had to scrape the fouling off with spades, then they got the tractor to push it all back into the water.

I'd estimate there was approx 2 cwt of barnacles. The worst job was removing the small white bit the barnacles left behind.

I learnt my leason the hard way, never again!!

I now antifoul every year with International Interspeed on the hull, International Trilux for the outdrive and boot-topping.

Was using Mr Muscle gel sink unblocker at the weekend to unblock the sink on Star Turn (turned out the wasps had colonised the waste pipe!) and whilst waiting for it to do it's magic I had a look at what the ingredients were that would dissolve organic matter so efficiently...

Sodium hypochlorite.

Might be worth a try for scrubbing the undersides?

Charlie,

I'm sure you will know, but for the benefit of all, eye protection and a fume mask are a must with sodium hypochlorite. It will eat anything organic in seconds.....including you........ sad.gifsick.gif

If it works on your boat bottom you could obtain the neat stuff from an agricultural supplier. Hypochlorite is used as a dairy sterilizer and is as cheap as chips.

biggrin.gif

Wedge

By far the best stuff for removing weed is sodium hypochlorite. 

I could be wrong but I think one would end up in serious trouble with the Environment Agency and the local water board as the run off from this chemical might enter the surface drains which go straight into top water disposal either in the sea or rivers.

Mad Mike

It's not a problem, I used at an oysterfarm situated in a seawater filled quarry cut off from the sea for over a week at a time. It simply dissolves, much like the phosphoric acid in the Ece chemical tanker that sunk. Besides, it's only the same stuff as is in bleach, but bleach is diluted down to make it 'safer'.