MOB!!!!!!!!

Adam F

Bob and i were chatting away the other day and we discussing the subject of a Man overboard.

So what would you do?.......

Picture the scene..........

' its a lovely warm summers eve. You are out on the ledge anchored next to 2 other boats with you mates on. You and your boat buddy have 3 rods out each for the eels, which you expect to feed once the big spring tide eases.

It is a calm night, hardly a wave. The tide is about 2 knots. Youre sitting on the gunwhale, when all of a shudden you loose you balance and over you go. Hitting the water takes your breath away, for even though its July, the evening water is surprisingly chill. By the time you shout for help, and you partner has realised where you have gone, 5 seconds have passed, and in the 2 knot tide you are already well on your way to France.'

Okay. So what would you do as the man still on the boat. You have 6 rods in the water with 1.5lb of lead on, 60 feet of water and a big tide. Winding them all in would take at least 5 mins. So cut the lines. Wheres the knife?

Then the anchor?...pulling it up is out the question, so cut that....another 2/3 mins.

So you start the boat. But over the sound of the engine can you hear his shouts? Where the hell is he??????

It sounds pretty dramatic, yes...but reality could be not too different.

I'd like to hear peoples views on what they would do? Personally I am looking for a floating strobe. Activated when turned upside down (biased weighting) this could then be seen for a mile or so, and would make all of the above a little less dramatic. Just throw the light overboard, and do what you need to.

Adam

Adam

Nice one, food for thought, ummmm. save your tackle or your m8? well I would hit my man overboard button first, Cut my fishing lines for definate, Buoy off my anchor (your buoy is already in the water just tie it off) and chuck the rest of my warp in then head down tide to pick up my buddy. Hopefully he has got his whistle which he is blowing like a man possesed oh and where do I buy one of those lights!!!

Martin

I'd like to suggest 3 things when night fishing.

Firstly, everyone one should wear a safety tether that is tied to the boat somewhere. So, if you fall in you will not float away.

This is ok whilst you are at anchor, but might be dangerous when underway.

So, secondly a floating light or strobe which the person left on the boat can throw after the person that has fallen in. That way you have a marker in the water regardless of the state of the guy in the water.

Lastly, each person to carry of few mini-flares which they can fire when in the water.

Had a little look on the net.

About 30 quid i think???

About the size of our throw lines. Battery powered. Powerful strobe, seen for about a mile. You store them 'upside down' when they hit the water, the invert and make the connection for the strobe.

Someone will find a link!!!! biggrin.gif

Adam

Adam,

I have often pondered the same thing. Especially when out by myself and son/daughter. If I fell over would she know what to do ?

I think the best thing is "prevention rather than cure". The lifejacket I wear ( and I do wear one as I am a terrible swimmer ! ) has a harness attachment. I have thought the best thing to do is to attach yourself to the rail of the boat using this. ( I say thought, because I have not done this, but if night fishing, I think I would do this. )

Also, I have considered getting a small pack of "personal" flares as in your other article. Then it will be a case of waiting to be picked up. ( In the colder months - Flotation suit preventing death by cold until then ! )

However, apart from wearing a lifejacket ( and flotation suit when it is not summer ), I have not tied myself to the boat, nor have I got a personal set of flares. Improvement to be had there I think !!

Still, there are many others who would be worst off. Just count the numbers out fishing without lifejackets and/or flotation suits ..... Strong swimmer or not, they would not last long if they fell over in any fast flowing or cold water.

Another thing I often think of, is once you have caught up with your MOB, how do you get them back in the boat ?? - Easy on a boat like Bob's as he has a ladder at the back, but on mine it is hard enough getting in standing in the water, let alone when being rescued - any tips here ?

Also, I have wondered if any boats have managed to "mow down" the person they are trying to rescue - surely this has happened in the past ?

worth tying a small buoy to the inboard end of your anchor rope making sure its larger than your alderney ring then if you need to slip anchor in a hurry just chuck the lot over the side the anchor buff attached to the alderney ring slides to the end and is stopped by the small one tied to the end ready to be picked up later!!!

I think the only answer is a step of ladder, Paul.

It will be almost impossible to get someone into the boat unaided.

If they are unconscious, even a step will not help. The only thing you can do then is to tether them to the boat and call for help, I guess???

My thoughts for you

1. Throw somthing to the mate in the water that he can use to stay afloat

Lifering with a throw cord would be good as you can tow him to the boat and the only drama would be getting a wet adult back onboard.

an unatched lifering or a lifejacket would do as a second choice even better if it had a light or smoke attached

2. the inner end of my anchor warp has a buoy on it just big enough not to pass through the alderney ring so all I have to do is undo the rope and let all my line pay out and i am away

3. Press MOB on GPS while starting engine, so I come back to my anchor warp later

4. Cut the lines away [ Mate more valuable and he can pay later if you are that mean]

5. Call coast guard to get them on standby and head of down tide at about 2.5 knots, all boat lights on. if I could not see him I would track about 50 m off the drift line and stop every couple of minutes to yell and listen.

If you can not see him or hear him within a couple of minutes get the coastguard out and let anyone else in the area know to get some help.

I do not like the idea of being tethered to the boat, and at night would have a light on or a torch in my pocket.

At work we use lifjackets with lights that come on when immeresed in salt water

I have meant to fit them to mine on the boat but have not done so yet.

I also have a strobe light like divers use that has a velcro strp that goes around your arm. this could be quickly attached to the lifring before you throw it at least your mate could see where to swim to and you or a hellicopter can see it from about a mile away.

Nice topic

good to think about such things before they happen

Charlie

Yachties and lifeboat men only teather when under way, or when operating in heavy seas to my understanding.

From our point of view. When fishing at night on a small boat room is tight enough without a lanyard fro0m you to the gunwhale. Also with 2 on board, and one playing a fish for instance, can you imagine the tangle you both could get in?

Just my views though.

Will look into the prices of a strobe. Bob mentioned earlier Aladins in Soton. They are an outlet for the ones on the link above.

Bulk order????

Hi all

Some interesting thoughts and points.

Just to add another question do all of your crew who you take out know how to call on the VHF in an emergency?

Do they know the correct Mayday call procedure?

It could be you, the skipper, who has fallen overboard or ill.

I have produced a Mayday instruction sheet which can be printed or downloaded from my web site. The downloaded versions can have your boat name added in the spaces and then get the sheet laminated to make it waterproof. They are in Excel and Word format.

I carry my sheet with all the maps and other bits in a holder and if I have anyone new on the boat I show them where it is, how to read the GPS to get the current position and how to operate the radio to get it on channel 16.

It only takes a few minutes and could save a life.

Web address http://fishing_boats.tripod.com and look under the "Safety" page.

smile.gif

Very helpful Dave...something every boat should carry.

If anyone wants one of these laminating, I can do it for free at work.

Just email me your form from dave's link with your boat details completed, I will then print it off and laminate it for you.

Adam

the absolutely critical first thing to do is check your watch and note the time whilst shouting to the guy overbord to 'go with the flow and don't fight it - you will now be able to work out where he should be at any time in the future. Knowing how long he has been in combined with the mob position of where he went in and the established tidal drift (from GPS after you cut anchor line) will let you work out where you expect him to be as you proceed down the drift line (once established). Equally providing that info to the coastguard will enable them to do the maths and tell you where to find him if you don't connect first time - remember to tell them what your watch reads now when you call to provide a reference point.

At night you should have a handheld searchlight in the cockpit ready (for the eels!) lifejackets on and whistles on the jackets. Anything else is a bonus and shouldn't be planned around in my opinion.