Cajun Sea Bass With Mango Salsa

Adam F

Nicked this from a hotel I stayed at last week. I actually had it with Escolar, but it seemed so close the bass I thought Id try it. It was wonderful and I vowed to try it myself when I next had a fresh bass - needless to say I only kept one fish yesterday - a nice pan sized 3lber and I tried this on it last night - it went down a storm.

1.) Descale and fillet the bass. Cut the fillet into 2 small portion sized chunks.

2.) Prepare the Cajun dressing - takes a few minutes but well worth it, and it keeps if you dont use it all. 2 tablespoons of Paprika, 1 1/2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teasppon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. Dry the fillet and rub this into it.

3.) Cook the fish fast and quickly on either a griddle or frying pan with just a very small amount of olive oil.

The dressing goes very well with the spicy fish and is a salsa, so gather all the ingrediants, chop very finely or blend roughly.

1 bell pepper (any colour) 1 red onion, 1/2 a peeled mango - add to these a splash of lime or llemon juice, a pinch of crushed chillies and a pinch of chopped corriander.

Serve the bass on top of the salsa with chips or new potatoes and not forgetting a glass of cold white wine!

Sounds complicated, but I knocked it up in under 30 mins last night after a day at sea - give it a go!

Ummm............ sounds up my street........ and I have a bass for tomorrow,,,,,,

Just a queery..............???

Cayenne........that's hot............ do you use 1 and 1/2 'TABLESPOONS' ?? or was it teaspoonful?? ..... need to taste the bass!

Tonight......... just about to start........ bream fillets with clam sauce.......... will make it up as I go along and report back consumers evaluation!!

Alun.

Update.........post dinner..

Celery cooked / poached in clam liquor as it reduces; add alittle parsley and butter ........... for something extra special,,,,,,,,, a good pinch of saffron threads and a glug of cream.

At the last minute add the 'just- cooked' clams [ very important not to overcook these] to the sauce.

Serve the fillets of fish on top of the sauce with something green eg. lots of beans around now!

Alun.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...