Dog Or Huss?

Manic Moore

Gordon, broad across the head area, dark blotches as well as larger spots, although this isnt always indicative of the Bull Huss, I'd plum for a small Bully.

Rich.

Next time, turn the fish over, and photograph the underside of the snout......all will be revealed!

Paul thats not a dog, I think it looks like a squid eating hound wink.gif

Gordon I found a photo on the aquarium project of the underside of a dogfish, unfortunatly there was not one for a huss but the nasal flaps are very different

here is the dogfish picture

Hope that helps in the future,

if anyone has a huss picture that would help

Charlie biggrin.gif

post-14-1123355639.jpg

Another bit of info from a fishing site

Features: The LSD is one of only three species of dogfish found around the British coast. The black mouth dogfish, as the name suggests, can be easily distinguished by the black inside of it's mouth. The black mouth is also very rare and rarely found in water under 100m deep. The greater spotted dogfish, or nursehound is more similar, but there is an easy way to tell the two species apart. Look closely at the underside of the fish's head. If there is a single flap of skin between the nostrils and the mouth then the fish is a LSD. If there are two lobed flaps then the fish is a greater spotted dogfish. [bull huss]

Charlie biggrin.gif