Mg 530 Pilothouse

Guest Geoff

Guest Geoff

Feedback required! Been looking at the MG 530 piothouse, however cannot

find any reviews on this boat, anyone own or fished off one of these? Any info gratefully received.

Hi Geoff,

I think you may struggle. These are built out in the Eastern Block - Poland I think and are pretty new to the market. Have you had a look at Parley Boats - on the Parley Traffic lights, Ferndown? They have just opened up and are a distributer of MG boats - I think they have a 530 on the forecourt.

They look very similar to several other boats on the market - the Selva Fisherman:

http://www.selvamarine.co.uk/infopage.asp?infoid=142

Also Kam's boat (Newboy) is very similar so he may be able to offer a view:

http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/memberboat.php?id=21

Personally (and this is only based on what I have seen on the net) - I think they are quite dear for what they seem - and I would go for tried and tested - in this class this would mean an Arvor, Quicksilver, Merry Fisher etc - I guess the best fit would be the small Merry Fisher 530 - shares even the name in common and has been around for years - features and tests on these are commonplace.

http://www.freeportmarine.net/Jeanneau_Mer...sher_530_A.html

Dave Lewis did one in Sea Angler a few months back - I have the copy if you want a look.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Guest Geoff

Thanks for your replies,

Can get a new MG pilothouse for 7.5k would be interested to find out more of what Kam (newboy) thinks of his boat, as you say they are very similar.

There are a few boats which are very similar in design. In facts, the hulls are the same. Merrry Fisher, Quicksilver, Selva and the new Greek Sunday fisher, etc.

Personally I like my boat (that goes without saying) however, it is not without drawbacks.

First it is NOT a fishing boat, I would call it a family leisure craft. Since it has a pilot house, it centre of gravity is that much higher. In very bad weather/windy conditions, it can roll from side to side more than say a Warrior, similar beam but centre of gravity much lower. It is capable of long comfortable journeys. Specially if you have young family, like I have. The pilot house is very good in keep its passenger very dry, since mine has zip up curtains. Personally I wouldn't go out in it in anything 5 or 5+. Also it catches cross wind (too) nicely when trailering, you must have a vehicle heavy enough to steady it.

Another problem I have encountered with this type of pilot house, since there's more weigh on the front, to make it ride better, you will either need trim tabs or more weigh at the stern to balance it out. When Sweet Honey was using the Mercury 100, which is something like 180kg, it handles well, but since I changed it to a Tohatsu 90 (134kg), it can be more difficult to handle if fuel is also low (even less weigh at the stern, I used to carry 16 gallons + to now 12g)). Certain swells and inbalanced load up caught me out a couple of time.

I would get a ride on it to see you you like it before you hand over your hard earned cash. The price is very attractive, 7 1/2k + outboard, say, 3 1/2k and a trailer 1 1/2 k. The Sunday fisher is also very very similar, they did a review on Boat Fishing Monthly a few months back, the review is quite positive.

Guest Geoff

Thanks for the feedback Kam, I have a 2 yr old mariner 75 which I hoped would do until I could afford something better (would this be too small?) I have trialled the small quicksilver pilothouse which I found to be OK - as you say a little top heavy. My current boat is a 17' Dell Quay dory so am looking for a bit of comfort whilst out fishing..........decisions decisions.........

Geoff

Firstly Please register in this forum, it costs nothing and makes life so much simpler, also makes the forum look better tongue.gif

I cannot comment on MG boats as I have never been on one but DON'T on any account buy a boat without firstly having an hour or so afloat on one. Any dealer will arrange for a test to make a sale unless that is they have something to hide. They will either have a demo model or will have satisfied customers who would be only to pleased to show off their boat. It matters not that you have tested a similar boat, you are not buying a similar boat you are buying (maybe) an MG boat. The handling may be totally different even if the hull looks the same. Weight distribution, lay up, fitting out and a thousand and one things can have an effect on the way the boat handles.

Would you buy a new car without a test drive? so why a boat, they cost as much or more in most cases

Remember buyer beware (even when new) and you won't go far wrong

Martin

Adam: yes it's cheaper to buy a 2 years boat well kitted out, but if everyone is buying a 2 years old boat, 2 years down the line, there will be no 2 year old well kitted out boat for sale. Same as a new car, some people will pay the extra and have the new car 'smell'.....

Geoff: Martin is dead right, the hulls are similar, all it mean is on a calm landlocked lake the handling is very much a like if you are going dead straight ahead. If you look more carefully, the cabins on the boats mentioned, are different sizes, I have a long cabin where I can sleep 2 without having to bend my knees (I'm 5'7"), the pilot house doesn't stop till more than 1/2 way, i.e., more weigh. Some boat have smaller cabins therefore less weigh. The differences in weigh determine how it handles how well it turns etc etc.

I would think the 75 is plenty, in fact I think it might be too big, I'll check with MG boats and see what their max rating is. Most boat this size has a max rating of around 70.

Guest Geoff

Have registered, however do not have permission to add a reply on this forum.

If anyone had the choice (also taking comfort into consideration) would you go for a pilothouse or a Warrior 165?

The MG will take an engine up to 90hp, my intention would be to trade in my Mariner 75 for a fourstroke 90 in a couple of years time. My current boat (tired) is kitted out with VHF & GPS, fishfinder etc so no additional costs as all can be transferred from one boat to the other.

Have contacted the seller of the MG requesting contact details of anyone who owns one of these (apparently only 20 have been sold in this country) so that I may be able to get a 'test drive'

would you go for a pilothouse or a Warrior 165?

Ahh!!! The old 'what would you do' scenario!!!

Its a difficult one to answer Geoff - only you (guided by others comments) can make that decision. Those two boats are vastly different. The Warrior (in my own very, very biased opinion) is one of the best 16' day fishing boats you can buy - the numbers sold reflect this. Easy to trail on even a smallish car - fast, very stable in most seas, good fishing area, small cuddy to protect from the rain, seats that swivel whilst you are fishing and driving....

The pilothouses....you can sleep in them, they have a big, dry cuddy many with doors - these equal creature comforts - better for the family, you get more of a 'big boat' feel.

My advice? = Have a trip in the MG, go FISHING in one of the club members pilothouses (KAM?) and see how they are in terms of practicailty. Then come out in mine or one of the other 165's and try that.

My guess is that the and only then will you be able to make a decision.

Good luck!

Raider 18 too rich for me, Warrior, Explorer, Samurai, all under consideration (what is the difference) as are the Arvor, Jeanneau, Quicksilver- I already have a cathederal hull boat (dare I say like riding a wardrobe in rough/choppy sea) which is one of the reasons for wishing to swap.

Have found an MG for testing - only it's in Portsmouth & I'm in Porthmadog (a 600 mile round trip) anyone fancy a free ride in an MG Pilothouse on my behalf?

Warrior, explorer, samuri,.... same shoe as Jenneave, arvor, etc. They were based on the same hull, with slight variations, if you do a search on warrior explorer you will find a thread a couple of weeks ago discussing the differences between these boats.

I thought the Raider is reasonable, the Arvor and the Jenneave would be the expensive choice. Been on a big Arvor (25 I think) it spacious and ride really well, a little slow with the inboard. It's very well put together. Can't comment on Quicksilver as I've not set foot in one, however, Mark (Loyal Royal) did have a 640.

Getting someone else to ride a boat for you can be difficult as it's a matter of opinions. What I considered to be acceptable, you might think it's unacceptable, what you considered to be a good ride, I can turn round and say that was the worst ride I ever had..... dry.gif

However, I don't mind popping into Portsmouth for you since I pop into Portsmouth from time to time (someone mentioned a free ride? rolleyes.gif ), as long as you let me know what exactly you are looking for. Whether the boat will be fished only in good weather or something a little more challenging. I think there are other members living in Portsmouth too, if they can do it the better.

Waiting for contact details of the guy with the MG, anyone who can compare the ride with anythig 'known' would be useful. There is an MG locally however they want 14k for it (stuff that) which I have had a look over, build quality etc seems OK and has all that I need except for a larger fuel tank. A fair weather fisherman I am, however the wind does pick up quickly in the Tremadog bay area, much of my fishing done approx 15 miles from shore in 12' of water! Sometimes a long trudge back!!

To be honest, I have been impressed after seeing James' Raider 16 handling of the rough sea, none of our (bigger) boats could keep up with him, he just seemed to fly over the waves and swells so effortlessly. I will definitely get a ride on one to see whether it suits you or not. The price is reasonable at around

Warrior, Explorer, Samurai, all under consideration (what is the difference)

not a lot really, very similar and owners of all breeds talk favourably of them.

he just seemed to fly over the waves and swells so effortlessly

Kam you need to be on a boat thats flying before you can comment on the ride quality. I have seen countless boats that looked from a distance as though they give a beautifull ride in sloppy conditions until you talk to the owners and see them walking around with a stiff back etc. Even my warrior 195 will jar your back if driven hard. The trick is to drive to near the limit of comfort and have the best of speed in relative comfort without ending up with a broken back and ultra bright white knuckles.

Martin

Kam,

I have had the pleasure of being on the boat when James was "flying". Take it from me it is not a smooth calming experience sitting on your tackle box and holding on for dear life !!

( Sorry James smile.gif )

My money is on the bigger boats slowing up because the ride was rather bumpy - such matters don't seem to worry James laugh.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

As Martin says so perfectly........talk to the owners and see them walking around with a stiff back etc. Even my warrior 195 will jar your back if driven hard. The trick is to drive to near the limit of comfort and have the best of speed in relative comfort without ending up with a broken back and ultra bright white knuckles.

Being a martyr to back problems I am very conscious of this, having been with speed obsessed skippers who, if they only knew, could make their trip comfortable and enjoyable if they sacrificed maybe as little as a knot or two.

My Samurai slides effortlessly over a choppy swell at about 13kts and slams like a bitch at say 17 kts and if one dares to open up to full chat is barely in the water except when it drops off a peak into a trough and lands with a spine shattering bang.

I think too many boats are bought with the expectation of maximum speed being thought of far more than comfort at a reasonable sustained speed.

Mad Mike

As Martin says so perfectly........talk to the owners and see them walking around with a stiff back etc. Even my warrior 195 will jar your back if driven hard. The trick is to drive to near the limit of comfort and have the best of speed in relative comfort without ending up with a broken back and ultra bright white knuckles.

Being a martyr to back problems I am very conscious of this, having been with speed obsessed skippers who, if they only knew, could make their trip comfortable and enjoyable if they sacrificed maybe as little as a knot or two.

My Samurai slides effortlessly over a choppy swell at about 13kts and slams like a bitch at say 17 kts and if one dares to open up to full chat is barely in the water except when it drops off a peak into a trough and lands with a spine shattering bang.

I think too many boats are bought with the expectation of maximum speed being thought of far more than comfort at a reasonable sustained speed.

Mad Mike

It does not do the hull much good with all that slamming a well sad.gif

Just ask Lookfar who has experianced stress cracks in the hull of his Warrior and had them repaired!

(sorry Steve)

Coddy

cool.gif

Kam,

I have had the pleasure of being on the boat when James was "flying". Take it from me it is not a smooth calming experience sitting on your tackle box and holding on for dear life !!

( Sorry James smile.gif )

My money is on the bigger boats slowing up because the ride was rather bumpy - such matters don't seem to worry James laugh.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

It seems I've been decevied.... tongue.gif I still reckon it looks good when dawn raider launches into the sky tho...

Done my share of 'flying,' fine doing 35 knots in a dory on a flat calm, however we don't often get conditions like that.....hence my requirement for something more comfortable, most of my fishing is done at anchor therfore a bit of roll aint a problem so far as the ride is OK (slamming aint good)

post-6-1123172925.jpg

Just ask Lookfar who has experianced stress cracks in the hull of his Warrior and had them repaired!

To be fair, Dave, whilst I drive hard I'm not berserk enough to destroy a normal Warrior hull. They had a structural engineer look mine over and he highlighted a build fault. At least I now have the toughest 165 in existence, they rebuilt it to 175 spec cool.gif

Steve

hi steve, any idea what the build fault was? they have built alot of 165's...

steve

As I understand it, an oversize crossmember connected floor to hull. Hull couldn't flex as it should and the result was the matrix in that area failed. That then spread down the boat. At least, I think that was the explanation ph34r.gif

Either way, the result was catastrophic. The matrix that reinforces the hull was smashed along several feet of hull on both sides, whole thing was rebuilt from the gelcoat up and substantially beefed up. Paul reckoned it was the first MkII to come back and I believe him, if it was a general problem, they'd be in liquidation by now because I've been out-run more than once by other Warriors when I thought I was travelling at the limits of comfort.

I have to emphasise too that Warrior were superb in the way they dealt with it. No quibbles about being out of warranty, they just got on and fixed it. Great folk to deal with

Steve