Im A Sole Man

Gnasher

Hi Dan,

Well done..............a smashing size fish; don't be in too much of a rush to eat it!!

It will improve greatly if you leave it in the fridge......... 3 days at least!

Unlike most other fish, its tissues produce a flavour enhancing compound over several days............. other fish lose the chemical as they age , in store.

It is also easier to skin as the fibres soften after a few days [ and easily a week].

Enjoy your catch.......... I'll be chasing them soon.

Alun.

Alun, does the few days rule apply to all sole or just the dover sole?

Personally I prefer them as fresh as possible. How do you skin a dover sole? I start at the tail, use a knife to scrape at the back fin and the membrane/skin comes off after a few strokes, take hold of it and pull upward.

Jim, I recon there is quite alot of sole down there(although tasty, not the best of sport), my mate had one aswel, only small though. Were watching lots of bass from the pier too, didnt fish for them though, decent fish, chasing masses of white bait amongst the iron work. Worth a go for sure.

The full pic now hope, instead of half of it!!!

post-14-1121461355.jpg

Kam,

Only Dover Sole................... and three days is probably not enough at fridge temp.

Skinning......... yes, that's the method, but it's much easier many days later.

Catch a couple of smaller ones and try experimenting with different days...

....any from the fishmongers could easily be well over a week old.

Alun.

Im not really sure what the boating tactics are, but I catch normally catch my beach Sole fishing rag with a small maccy disc on a flowing trace and a size 1 aberdeen. I normally use a light Korda style carp weight about 2-3 oz and let it bounce in tide. No beads and a 80cm trace (12lb amnesia). I suspect fishing on a slow drift with similar tactics would work. Just keep it simple.