A day of tow halves!

Rob

As JV is in for preventative maintenance, Adam called on one of her support vessels to take to the seas today.

The call was answered by myself and JoJo. Not been out since our sharking adventures in Cornwall where I hooked a tuna send lost a rod!

Having been neglected since October, I had a few jobs to rush through on Saturday. Only have the afternoon and it was a rush. The new bilge pump needs some plumbing changes and I didn't have the correct bends. So, fix / fudge the old. It had split in two, but some silicone sealant and held to dry with sellotape, it looked ok (worked will today too). There was an issue with the live well pump too, again, didn't have the right connectors, so made one with heat shrink, can ties and some plastic tubing.

Oil cange too, needed 2litres, has 1.8 and thankfully a 1litre top up bottle in my travelling boat kit.

Adam's son Ruben was wanting to join us and therefore so did my Olivia. Float fishing for bass was the target.

The four of us headed for home about 8:15 to Mudeford. On arrival, the carpark was half full and we had to pay to launch, having always avoided payment for the last 15+ years. Apparently he was in his hit at 6:45am! He said the dayal before the carpark was closed by 9:30.

Anyway, quick launch and off to HHead for some mackerel, or not, the outlet buoys, one to show.....hmmmm.

78341fe90ef856fed5a044c32505e9c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

a08ed484297188ccc48cc0d08f7ecdd6.jpg

Went to drift with one bait and we'd try and feather on the drift, whilst using frozen joeys where we needed.

The joeys failed and nothing else worked for sometime. The weather was awesome along with the seasl state.

12:00 and beers were opened, puls some food, bingo! The only live mackerel was grabbed. Ruben on the rod with plenty of instruction and guidance. The fish came to the surface and went back and forth for some time...... eventually coming to the net and on lifting the net head fell off! One more job on the list. It went 9lb 8oz and we were buzzing. Next fish was going to be for Liv which ever team's (families) rod it came on!

(Scales pressed and held at 9:6, but it was 9:8)

fdbc4d359f17049e6fec81334cb98d68.jpg

Back to a new drift..........only pollack (too big) as livebaits. Weather was good and spirits had been lifted. Talk was about how good a fish this was and how few bigger fish Adam or I had ever caught.

Halfway through the drift after the 'big one' and Liv was not to be outdone. However, there was a twist in this one.....I went to check the bait on one of our rods, weed was everywhere. Covering baits and putting bass off. As I wound in, there was a thump on the bait and it is let go, it felt heavy, really heavy. I said to Ad "that felt big'", the ones that get away always do!! Anyway, I have it line and let line spill out to the float, just incase it was still about. 10 seconds later, the float slowly moved against the tide, slow and steady. Hmmm, looks interesting "Liv, come here".

Well, the next few mins were exciting, Liv listened well, prob having just watch Ruben helped. I backed down on the fish as it had taken quite a bit of line. Again it was staying on the surface and kiting back and forth.

It came to the net and wow, beast! Having just landed a 9.5, this looked biiiig! Having just whipped the head on the net, it was used more delicately! The fish went 12lb 12oz and was a beaut. Big old belly and very thick across the shoulders.

a6b6a137dfd20b3d14ef298370b432b9.jpg

Well, could.this get any better.......NO!

So we headed to X-ray for rays etc, well, dogfish and not much else, boredem set in for the dads! So, off to anchor and look for pout etc for........a few more bass perhaps?

We got a few pour cod and pout, and back on the flats we were! Fast drifts 2knots and tons of weed clogging the leads and baits. Not good. Last 5 mins and zzzzzzzzzzz Adam had a great take. It was a takeablensoze bass and the kids took the P and laughed!

b78751258df54638fe4d5c0abaebc199.jpg

Time for home. Heading back charging about as we had been doing all day and the overheat alarm on outboard went off and power dropped, some steam from exhaust. Strong tell tail and it started right up. Tried again, alarm. Stopped. Try again at tickover, alarm!! Spoke to Charlie C, who we had spoken too before and he had heard us call for any Poole bay small boats! As always he was checking we were ok and we were. I flagged down a rib who was happy to tow us to the quay. We were only 300m off the entrance buoys to the harbour!

5f0efbfe52c9c858cd9ac62469d6b0fc.jpg

Engine had cooled and bit and we could motor around the corner to the slip. The day was quiet with boats and the slipway, though busy, was not packed with trailers. We think the mid morning by low water had put many users off, great!!!

All home and shattered, rinsed boat ect and in need of early night. I think Liv and Ruben will sleep well tonight, I know I will!

R

Great report of what sounds like a fantastic fishing trip.

Liv's fish beats my PB by 2 lb

Maybe the tow spoilt it, but with those fish I doubt it.

Happy to offer you help Rob, PBSBAC Members always do.

Ben did the same for Sam on Saturday in response to a phone call from me at work.

I have just had a bilge pump pushing ProFlush acid though my Yamaha - up the pickup that goes down to the leg.

It was running and has removed saltwater crud and also corrosion on the block.

I have run the engine for 5 mins without overheat warning, I will run for longer once neighbours are not all outside enjoying the weather.

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Force-4/ProFlush-Marine-Engine-Descaler/4C1F

I run the engine on muffs at home after every use (bar a week a year over the last 8 when i have had it on a mooring), and it still crusted up. The hose connector only flushes one side of the thermostat, so that is not much use. It's worth checking the corrosiion / build up behind the stat on a regular basis, and being prepared to flush the crop once in a while.

Just been though and found my last engine flush / clean post.................2007! so 15 yrs later, not surprised she needed some love!