Yacht collided with Yknot at Anchor

The amount of near misses we have all experienced finally have recorded a bow to bow collision by a Yacht motor sailing from Hurst Castle to Poole. We had allowed a number of yachts in a group to pass before we anchored, we had just arrived on a different mark and the yacht approaching was a couple of miles away. We anchored and raised the black anchor buoy and set about putting the rods out.

A 1pm today we were struck by the 35/40 ft Yacht bow to bow, a huge strike from a boat travelling at about 8 knots with the tide sent us stumbling to the stern of the boat.

Luckily we stayed on our feet and turned to see the boat scraping all down the side of the boat and wiping out a rod. It was a German couple who immediately held their hands up and admitted it was their fault. They did not see us!!!!!!. They passed their details to us and have subsequently rung to see how we are a couple of times.

I reported the collision to Solent Coastguard and the NCI who were on look out by but missed the incident. The coastguard and the Yacht also spoke after my report was logged.

I think my strong customised bow roller deflected them down my starboard side, had they hit Yknot 1mtr on either side of the bow they would have turned us and this story might have been very different.

Now the slog of all the claims and paperwork will start, I am not looking forward that. The Anchoring of the boat is not safe at the moment so I have hindered usage. The bow rail has been bent back to the second post and will be beyond salvage. My view is we had some bad luck but then again it could have been much worse.

Photo 14-05-2022, 13 34 32.jpg

The ironic statement of the day was the German skipper saying they are very safety conscious doing such a Long Tour and my reply was you have just smashed into the safety officer for the largest fishing club on the South Coast please take note of my raised black buoy.

So the message is it might not have saved me from someone not at the helm or down below or not looking, but it may clarify the blame in the insurance companies. 

It was probably the longest period I had not checked through the windscreen because we were sorting ourselves out, but my airhorn for these events was also close at hand and I strongly recommend you all having one close at hand. It might save you.

Was very sorry to hear this Mal but so so glad you and Trevor are both ok.

The boat can be repaired but it may take sometime for the thought/fear of what may have happened to fade away.

Keep your pecker up and make sure you cover all bases and report to the MAIB 

3 hours ago, 2006holmwood said:

Glad nobody was hurt , boats can be repaired.

on a lighter note did you catch any fish.

We did ok, 17lb Blonde, 10lb Thorney and plenty of Mackerel within minutes. A few other smaller rays and plenty of LSD's.

Lots of weed close in the sea bed was black with the stuff and baits smothered in minutes inshore.

Sorry to hear that Mal, there only so many near misses we can get away with before one hits. These rag and stick boys are some of the worst for inattention, their slow speed I assume makes them think nothings going to happen so they don't maintain a proper lookout. The other high risk lot are the professional fisherman, again slow, busy with their gear.

Glad to hear the black ball was up, as you say it should at least simplify the claim, they couldn't claim "we thought you were underway".

Glad to hear you are both ok Mal, shame about the damage as Y Not is a fine vessel. But like others have said, boats can be repaired!
Also happy you caught some good fish, every cloud and all that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad that you are all OK Mal

Sorry to hear that your lovely boat was damaged by some WAFI.

But as others have said you and your crew are more important

Good example to the rest of us to get our black balls up when at anchor.

I hope that the repairs are prompt and you get her back out there soon. If I can help with any contacts let me know.

Well done on the fishing

Glad to hear you ok. Not good news for the boat though. You’ve gone one better than us we’ve only had a sailboat hit the anchor rope (black ball up too). Lucky for us the skipper rushed up on deck and steered away at the last minute.I firmly believe that the skipper says to an inexperienced crew member to head towards that boat and they don’t think to tell them to steer around it. Good luck with the insurance claim Mal

Pleased to hear no one was hurt Mal.

I had a similar experience as Colin, whilst fishing in Swanage Bay. I was at anchor and the skipper of the sailboat was underneath and his wife/mistress was steering and ploughed into my bow. Luckily, no damage was done but he came back up and explained that he was un aware of us!!!. But here again, he would be if he was not at the helm!!!

The most annoying thing was he had a line of feathers trailing which went over my anchor rope and not one of them caught in the rope!!!

Now I thought these sale boat people were supposed to be the more experienced in the boating world 😔 

I have never had a stink boat hit me.

No offence Mike !!!!

very sorry to hear Mal, but glad your both ok, a bit shook up I am sure. When relentless 11 had an encounter with me while I was at anchor it was a bit spooky,but I sustained no noticeable damage. I hope the repair goes promptly so you can get out and enjoy your your fishing once again.    Best wishes.   Colin.

Thanks all for you comments, I have spent a few hours today and had some very timely help to get the bow roller straightened and refixed  back on the boat. Got fed up with the bow rail in the way of the hatch so I have cut it off so the hatch can close. I have worked out a safety lanyard to tie me onto the boat whilst lifting the anchor over the end of the bow roller. I am hoping to go out Sunday weather permitting. Estimates are coming in so I can forward to the insurers for the new bow rail. fingers crossed.