Bream Comp 7-8th May

jerry.shutter

Stuie an I headed for Dancing Ledge after getting the 07.30 Bridges from Cobbs.

Once we had arrived we had a look around and struggled to find fish after a couple of anchor drops.

The going was quite tough with a stiff easterly wind. 

We then motored out to past just JV and saw some fish on the echo sounder. Stuie and I were both in straight away and constantly catching fish. This is where I caught our best fish weighed in dead on 2lb. 

At 1.00PM we headed back to Ballard Down to avoid any possible worsening of the wind and sea state. We settled down at Ballard Down and both Stuie and I were straight back in catching fish again. This time smaller fish but still some kept for the pot.

It was a great Day and the bonus being taught a couple of things by the Master. 

Stuie on Marlin Dancing Ledge 08 05 22.jpg

Greg With 2 lb Black Bream Ballard 08 05 22.jpg

10 hours ago, Greg said:

Stuie an I headed for Dancing Ledge after getting the 07.30 Bridges from Cobbs.

Once we had arrived we had a look around and struggled to find fish after a couple of anchor drops.

The going was quite tough with a stiff easterly wind. 

We then motored out to past just JV and saw some fish on the echo sounder. Stuie and I were both in straight away and constantly catching fish. This is where I caught our best fish weighed in dead on 2lb. 

At 1.00PM we headed back to Ballard Down to avoid any possible worsening of the wind and sea state. We settled down at Ballard Down and both Stuie and I were straight back in catching fish again. This time smaller fish but still some kept for the pot.

It was a great Day and the bonus being taught a couple of things by the Master. 

Stuie on Marlin Dancing Ledge 08 05 22.jpg

Greg With 2 lb Black Bream Ballard 08 05 22.jpg

The sea state in both pictures

was a lot better than when we went out about 8.30 Greg......

Really snotty towards Bournemouth.

12 hours ago, Leicester Fisheagle said:

Jan has asked me to post that Frank Morris had a Bream of 1lb 4ozs. and Jan had one of 1lb 14ozs. both caught on Holy Mackeral.

Was holy mackerel the bait or boat?

Terry 

17 minutes ago, sparky said:

The sea state in both pictures

was a lot better than when we went out about 8.30 Greg......

Really snotty towards Bournemouth.

Jim and I went out just after 8 and had a rough ride to Dancing Ledge but the day progressed into a really delightful bonus one, glad we stuck with it.

Terry. 

Thanks for the day out Terry.

I really enjoyed it despite failing to get the target species.  They seemed to be in small, tight groups and unfortunately we didn't seem to find a busy spot.

You forgot to say that at our first mark you chucked your line down without any bait on the hooks just to test the tide and pulled up a Mackerel. 👍

2022 Bream Competition Results

Greg  on Marlin 2lbs

Jan on Holy Mackerel 1lbs 14oz

Chris on Kingfisher 

Mal on Kingfisher.    Joint 3rd 1lbs 12oz

Well done all who took part, and congratulations to Greg on the winning fish.

Species Comp is 18th 19th June

Thank you Jerry,

Nine years of being a member and taking part in club competitions and this is my first win 😁

The fish was a beautiful specimen and would have adorned the plate in the finest restaurant.

Notice, I said would have !!!

Whilst I was cleaning said fish on the rear bathing platform, I had just finished gutting it and was throwing the bucket of entrails into the water with my right hand and the bloody fish popped out of my left hand straight into the drink and went straight down !!! I was gutted,  Stuie laughing didn't do anything to help either. 🤣🤣 

I must admit I felt a bit of an idiot!! Oh well, you live and learn - again !!!!

Here's to the  next comp

This is too late to help those above......but....don't bother gutting bass or bream ...just keep them as cold as possible.

Even after a few days in the fridge they are in good condition [ and improved flavour ]

Fillet straight off the whole fish as you want them.... I scale the bass but the bream I skin and off comes the scales with the skin.

Saves a lot of mess on the boat ...and the eating is better.

2 hours ago, Greg said:

Thank you Jerry,

Nine years of being a member and taking part in club competitions and this is my first win 😁

The fish was a beautiful specimen and would have adorned the plate in the finest restaurant.

Notice, I said would have !!!

Whilst I was cleaning said fish on the rear bathing platform, I had just finished gutting it and was throwing the bucket of entrails into the water with my right hand and the bloody fish popped out of my left hand straight into the drink and went straight down !!! I was gutted,  Stuie laughing didn't do anything to help either. 🤣🤣 

I must admit I felt a bit of an idiot!! Oh well, you live and learn - again !!!!

Here's to the  next comp

Well done Greg 👍