New anchor retrieval rope 😊😊

Graham Nash

I've spent the last couple of months tidying my boat up (new deck and bits n bobs) and will be putting everything back on it soon. My anchor retrieval rope was a big loop with knots and kinks all over (an accident waiting to happen really) so I decided to watch a "YouTube" video and have a go at splicing it. I know that self praise is no praise at all, but I think it's pretty good 👍🤣

IMG20220404142344.jpg

26 minutes ago, djredrupp said:

Out of interest, what is the benefit of using a longer section of warp? That looks to be about 4ft? I have been using about a 3 inch strop to connect the carabiner / ring to the buoy, so wondering if I’m missing a trick…. 

Ive always had this sort of length (and it was easier to splice with plenty of spare :-) ) 

I have another one that was supplied to me by someone else and that is around half the length of this one although ive never used it. 

Personally the one I use has a shorter warp as what I have had on occasions if there is a swell, the buoy has gone the wrong side of the bow. 
What I do as I think others do too is go astern before going forward, just gives abit more space between boat and anchor rope/buoy.

After dropping anchor I have my rope up to the bow and dropped over the bollard and over the bow roller. Then attached to the stbd side midships cleat.

When we want to go the rope is cast off at the front and we back off, the bow goes to port and we can see the rope and drive off at 90 degrees to it, before swinging up tide. when the anchor is under the buoy we set up to drift back towards it whilst recovering rope.

This system is great for the larger boats, but not recommended for smaller boats to be tide side on to the tide.

2 hours ago, Kingfisher 126 said:

Personally the one I use has a shorter warp as what I have had on occasions if there is a swell, the buoy has gone the wrong side of the bow. 
What I do as I think others do too is go astern before going forward, just gives abit more space between boat and anchor rope/buoy.

TBF if theres a "swell" Im normally at home watching the TV 😁

But we reverse away from the buoy so that I can see it before motoring off too. 

• 7 months later...

I have a Stainless Steve coat hanger that I attach to the warp after putting the buoy over the side which keeps it away from the bow.

As you drift back letting warp out you can see the buoy at all times.

A suitable  length of 4x2 with a large hole drilled in its middle to pass the folded warp through will do the same job and costs peanuts