Radar safety

Wedger

Trevor just buy one, here is an exert from an online site discussing pleasure boat radars

Boat radars are not dangerous; they don’t pose any threat to humans because they emit non-ionizing radiation, which doesn’t penetrate the human body. Radiofrequency fields above 10 GHz at power densities over 1000 W/m^2 are a risk; but, those numbers are “far away” for a normal radar most boats use.

12 hours ago, Maverick said:

That said don't get in the immediate vicinity of a man of war when they are using their radar on full power, I could tell a little story about that but I have had a couple of glasses of wine :ph34r:

Sounds like an interesting tale! Has the vino worn off yet??

It has but only for a few short hours lol

The story was that we were fishing a mark called the rips which are about 26 miles out from Poole.  We had got there ok with all our electrics working normally however the weather suddenly deteriorated so we decided to about turn and make our way back.  At this time our plotter X2 went down and left us with a totally blank screen we also couldn't use the auto pilot.  I didn't have a clue what was wrong.  Checked connections which were ok, checked trips which were ok and being electrically illiterate at that point I gave up and made a heading at 150 knowing we would hit land and find our way back.  Looking around we spotted a naval ship in the distance, it came, it went.  After it had gone 3 or 4 miles all our electrics came back to life and back to normal.  I can only assume that the amount of power their radar emits blanked out our electrics.

Something fried my GPS receiver for my Lowrance on Small Fry many years ago.   2 Guys from Lowrance were at a show and came over in the evening. They thought it was probably caused by a naval radar on high power.

They gave me a new receiver completely free of charge.

Fantastic service.

;)

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

It has but only for a few short hours lol

The story was that we were fishing a mark called the rips which are about 26 miles out from Poole.  We had got there ok with all our electrics working normally however the weather suddenly deteriorated so we decided to about turn and make our way back.  At this time our plotter X2 went down and left us with a totally blank screen we also couldn't use the auto pilot.  I didn't have a clue what was wrong.  Checked connections which were ok, checked trips which were ok and being electrically illiterate at that point I gave up and made a heading at 150 knowing we would hit land and find our way back.  Looking around we spotted a naval ship in the distance, it came, it went.  After it had gone 3 or 4 miles all our electrics came back to life and back to normal.  I can only assume that the amount of power their radar emits blanked out our electrics.

Well, I can confirm that Jersey Girl was fine whilst being bollocked by HMS Ledbury at the Overfalls today. No electrical gremlins, just a flea in my ear for getting too close to their live firing exercises 😬💥

7 hours ago, Maverick said:

But how far were you out? they do not necessarily have the radar systems at full power constantly and definitively not when near to port/shore

Fair point. I was 15 miles from the marina, but probably no more than 5 from the nearest land (Selsey Bill).