sunday 29th August

Graham Nash

The weather looks favourable, the tides look reasonable and i will have earned my brownie points on Saturday by taking my missus out ALL day and missing the football :-) .... so .... my plan is to leave Wareham around 8am and get back to Wareham around 8pm. 

What do you suggest for the time between? 

1 hour ago, Tiddler said:

Fishing ! 😉

Keeping to the speed limit you'll have about half an hour fishing. :P

Surprisingly, it takes me under 3/4 an hour from arriving at Wareham to rounding brownsea castle during the summer. It normally takes a little longer getting back (as I'm not quite so eager). No faffing with trailers and slipways. 

Well, with the lack of advice forthcoming, I decided to make a plan of my own ...... I left my mooring at Wareham at 8.37 and exited the harbour entrance at 9.17 (so 40 minutes at "more or less" the speed limit 😉 )

I decided mackerel off Bournemouth pier would be the first stop .... Unfortunately the mackerel had other ideas .... but we did get a tub gurnard as well as getting deafened by up to 40 amazing power boats at speeds of up to 90 knots on the Cowes to Torquay race! 

No mackerel .... no problem, we had squid, worm, frozen mackerel and lures :-) ....

Off towards the IOW to a wreck I fished many years ago. First drift, bang .... snagged on the wreck! Second drift .. nothing, third, forth, fifth ... nothing! We tried anchoring uptide of it, nothing! Then the anchor started slipping so we decided on plan b .... or was it c?

Off to Dolphin bank (or sands) and a rather choppy drift for anything flat ..... nothing (but a very uncomfortable nothing!!)

A slow wet motor back to the shelter of Old Harry  where we managed one sizeable wrasse.

Still uncomfortable, partly because of the amount of boats rounding Old Harry between Swanage and Poole making it like the inside of a washing machine . so we decided on a much earlier day than we had planned. Tying up at Wareham at 4.00

I dont know how many miles, but it was around 30 - 35 (many of which were uncomfortable). I do know it was about 40 litres of fuel.

One tub and one wrasse!!

Ive had better days :-) :-) 

Similar day to me Graham.  We went through the 10:30 bridge with the masses.  First stop was Studland however it was windier then expected so went back in the harbour.  Motored up through blood alley and said to the crew it looks nice here but no apparently we had to go up behind Arne to see if Sammy seal was home, nope.  It was however full of boats plus still windy with northerlies blowing through so back to blood alley.  Dropped the hook in a suitable place and had them jumping all around us..................................grand kids that is jumping off the boat, they had a blast playing loads of water games.  It was Phoebe's 12th birthday who had commandeered the boat for her last before teen birthday treat.  Boats are great for fishing and entertaining the family.  Feeling privileged even though I had caught no fish but did make some loverly memories, lubberly jubberley

12 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Similar day to me Graham.  We went through the 10:30 bridge with the masses.  First stop was Studland however it was windier then expected so went back in the harbour.  Motored up through blood alley and said to the crew it looks nice here but no apparently we had to go up behind Arne to see if Sammy seal was home, nope.  It was however full of boats plus still windy with northerlies blowing through so back to blood alley.  Dropped the hook in a suitable place and had them jumping all around us..................................grand kids that is jumping off the boat, they had a blast playing loads of water games.  It was Phoebe's 12th birthday who had commandeered the boat for her last before teen birthday treat.  Boats are great for fishing and entertaining the family.  Feeling privileged even though I had caught no fish but did make some loverly memories, lubberly jubberley

We passed two seals on the way out of Wareham channel in the morning as well as a kingfisher and an osprey so it wasn't all bad 👍