How reels have changed.

FB_IMG_6940160278731528843.thumb.jpg.d26a125fe11a479796716663acdbb655.jpgAt Mars ( Mike and Allan's Reel Service) we receive all sorts of different reels. I hope to put up a picture showing an Abu Garcia Fixed Spool called a D4. The clutch is located on a dial ring located under the reel with nos. 1 to 10 on it. Internally, parts are quality stainless or metal and quite heavy by today's standards. Some of the Abu Garcia reels in mint condion from the 60's and 70's are fetching thousands in the States. From the picture, it can be seen that this classic reel has very few parts.

The second picture shows a modern big Pit Reel used by Carp Anglers with a bait runner feature which has not yet been stripped down. In this case, a Wychwood costing around £80 new. Much lighter, long cast coned spool, better clutch etc. There are a lot more parts and they are far more complicated.However, lots of plastic and nylon and the bearings are not stainless. I don't think it will be around in four or five years time if used regularly.

received_978157369660353.thumb.jpeg.6c862f6f3682eaf8a81457ac5af09372.jpeg

Very interesting, as they say, they don't make em like they used to.

As with so many things, with the price of reels today they are almost disposable.

It's difficult to make comparisons with so many fixed spool reels to choose from, I guess just go with established brand names, but even then they do various grades of quality, so very confusing.

As a reel expert, what would you  suggest, for lure fishing.

We don't claim to be quite up to the Dave Lynes standard yet, but we are getting there. The big problem at the moment is getting parts. Have had some Carbon Tec clutch plates for a couple of Charter Specials on order from the States for several months.

Some Companies like Jim's Reels, a Company that does a wide range of reels and a good job, but twice our price, will not touch Modern Mitchell's or Penn Surfblasters for example. 

When you say lure fishing are you thinking of light spoons, shads etc? 

We have just returned a Shimano Tyranos 8, a multiplier lever drag which has an extra narrow spool for lures. The owner uses it in 60 plus foot of water for bass using artificial and live baits but these cost £170 plus.

Budget can be a big factor for many people. Personally, one of my favourites on the lighter side are the old Shimano Bait Runners. I have seven of these and probably around 20 spools. Perfect for braid or fluorocarbon around the 10 to 12 lbs mark. Not really designed for saltwater use, but like any reel wash them and spray them with Corrosion Block from time to time. I also like these as they are pretty bomb proof, not the easiest to repair, especially the clutch/bait runner parts. Mine are 40 years old. There are plenty for sale around £35. Check if they have a spare spool and some of the later ones have a metal lipped braid friendly spool. Go for the GT Mdels. More recently, I have become a fan of the small and two speed Penn Fathoms. These are budget copies of far more expensive reels. Also, look at well known brands and read online reports. Some people's favourites could be Avets or American Fin Nor or expensive quality Shimanos. Abu, Akios and Scorers for example

are all clones of each other and worth a look at. They can suffer from corrosion if not looked after. Gear ratios can be a bit low for some and handles a bit small.The once great flagship Penn reels and lots of other Companies reels are mainly outsourced to China. Pure Fishing seems to buying up Companies all over. Others may have older reel which have a nostalgic value, a gift, a prize or one from a deceased friend or family member. How many of us have reels going back to our childhood or the first reel we were given. I will perhaps come back to this theme in another post.

Can I answer your question, yes, in part. You tend to pay for what you get but it still needs washing and looking after. What are other Members favourites and why? This is a discussion that could go on for a long time. Please feel to add your thoughts.

I just love the ABU 7000 synchro.  They are great for all sorts of medium weight work.  I use mine for just downtiding or even better when wrecking.  I have owned one from new, it must be 25 years old now plus I have just purchased another second hand that is in near new condition.  Best feature on them is if a fish runs and you want it to take line 1/3 of a turn on the handle in reverse and you have just reduced the drag by around 30%, wind forward you then have your previous drag setting.  Solid original Swedish made reels, much better quality than most of the current Chinese made ABU's

I just love the ABU 7000 synchro.  They are great for all sorts of medium weight work.  I use mine for just downtiding or even better when wrecking.  I have owned one from new, it must be 25 years old now plus I have just purchased another second hand that is in near new condition.  Best feature on them is if a fish runs and you want it to take line 1/3 of a turn on the handle in reverse and you have just reduced the drag by around 30%, wind forward you then have your previous drag setting.  Solid original Swedish made reels, much better quality than most of the current Chinese made ABU's

How do you tell the difference between the two Martin ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Tarlach. said:

How do you tell the difference between the two Martin ?

Easy my 25 year old abused one is fully functional but tatty, my little used second hand model is in near new condition however, it really doesn't matter which one I use as both are loaded with 25lb Crystal Whiplash and work equally well

My favourite reel from a purely nostalgic reason is my ABU Ambassadeur IGFA 20 bought second hand in the early 1970's for £80. I think new they were going for around £150+ then.

Just did a quick google  and found they had appreciated somewhat especially in  Sweden

ABU IGFA20

The reel is lever drag and built like a tank .

I used to use it with steel wire when first going on charters in the 80's with an all roller ugly stick which I also still have.

Was a crane rig...It would crank anything up but weighed a ton ....pre braid days of course

Both still work perfectly but much too beefy for my present day escapades.

Might dig them out to go after the Poole bay monster one of these days  or if blue fin turn up in the bay(for purely scientific research reasons of course) 😋

6 hours ago, Maverick said:

I've got a Shimano lever drag which I really like for wrecking, and an Abu Ambassador which I used to use for beach casting, yet to use it in a boat, but a fabulous reel.

My original question was about lure reels, and have been tempted with a baitcaster, but am really looking for a fixed spool, for bass which should I go for.

Easy my 25 year old abused one is fully functional but tatty, my little used second hand model is in near new condition however, it really doesn't matter which one I use as both are loaded with 25lb Crystal Whiplash and work equally well

I didn’t mean you personally . I meant if somebody was going to purchase one on say eBay, how would they know the difference between a good original and a copy.?

8 hours ago, Ohgreatone said:

I've got a Shimano lever drag which I really like for wrecking, and an Abu Ambassador which I used to use for beach casting, yet to use it in a boat, but a fabulous reel.

My original question was about lure reels, and have been tempted with a baitcaster, but am really looking for a fixed spool, for bass which should I go for.

Sorry Adrian I am the wrong person to ask about fixed spool reels as I hardly ever use them in fact I only have one cheap fixed spool which I don't even know the name of.  I am a lover of the original ABU multipliers and tend to use them for almost everything.

You can really go wrong with any smaller sized shimano for lure fishing. 2500/3000 size.

I have to use fixed spool reels for casting.

I use multipliers if we're fishing straight down & hoping for bigger fish.

I know nothing about what's best though.

Except that the really cheap stuff will dissolve in salt water.

Those that Pete mentioned look really nice.

• 9 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 11:22 PM, Ohgreatone said:

Me personally I'd go for a penn spinfisher if you are not too worried about budget or maybe a fin nor megalite 

A tough one this one as its a balance between budget and standard

But Alans advice to wash them down and dry them counts for all.

Like him I am a fan of the two speed Penn fathoms, I have two 30's for the tough jobs. I recently bought a single speed 12 and I like that too for lighter fishing.

My go too reels are AVET SX and AVET MX, but i must say I have had to change the bearings a few times

I still have a fair selection of ABU's that unfortunately are showing their age, because of the very thin paint scheme.

Fixed spools I have some very nice ones that I keep for holidays and cheaper Rovex ones that last a few seasons bream fishing. to be honest they are not the best but they are not much dearer than the braid that I put on them.

If anyone is planning to go abroad for big fish, Will has a Stella 1400 for sale, mint condition and unused.