Shambles Tuesday 13 th April.

Leicester Fisheagle

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Mines same engine as yours, it’s never going to be the same .

I have been working out my consumption, 1.5lts per mile

Taking 100 litres, .

Very happy to have some buddy’s on this trip, it’s the sensible thing 

it’s been a while but 🤣

000DF25E-1470-40BE-95C7-60683A9EDB75.jpeg

Just got a job booked in for Tuesday so that puts an end to my dreams Tuesday lol thanks gor the info guys and if Hooky is taking 100 ltrs I recon id be pretty safe with 170total fuel plus another 20 as emergency back up so next time you guys go there I'll have to book the day off work and then I'll definitely come 😀really looking forward to seeing some pics !! Turbot is numner 1 on my fish wish list and one of the main reasons I bought a boat so ill hope there's another outing soon guys 👦 cheers 

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

Taking 100 litres, .

it’s been a while but 🤣

I remember that Hooky.....jammy git !!! 🤣🤣

9 hours ago, Hooky said:

Taking 100 litres, .

it’s been a while but 🤣

That's a lovely photo Hooky you should put that in photo of the month 😀 how much did she weigh magnificent fish have you caught many turbot ? 

11 hours ago, Rob said:

Was he using bait again!?!? Surely not!

R

🤣guilty, Allan told me to try his ‘special’ Turbocharged rigs ( was this 2017 ?.) 

From memory he even had the rig baited up, I just clipped it on and dumped it.

Huge amount of skill on my part 👍🙃

17 hours ago, Ragdoll said:

That's a lovely photo Hooky you should put that in photo of the month 😀 how much did she weigh magnificent fish have you caught many turbot ? 

Simple answer , nope.

Lets face it , we all try our best to hit that one day dream 🎣

I have had far more blanks and failures , I honestly think that the best thing to do is go out with other members.

I have (this year) have a boat and engine that Seems up for the job.

I will never be a species hunter or dedicated bait man, I get the biggest smile having a few fish on very light gear ( Pen rods ! ) 

6 hours ago, Hooky said:

Simple answer , nope.

Lets face it , we all try our best to hit that one day dream 🎣

I have had far more blanks and failures , I honestly think that the best thing to do is go out with other members.

I have (this year) have a boat and engine that Seems up for the job.

I will never be a species hunter or dedicated bait man, I get the biggest smile having a few fish on very light gear ( Pen rods ! ) 

Love pen rods too but prefer shimano I got a nice penn uptider . 

23 hours ago, Leicester Fisheagle said:

It weighed 15 or 16 lbs. That was a few years ago when there were more big ones about. We will be taking an extra 25 litres for Hooky plus a manual transfer pump. Sorry Rag Doll cannot make this one, perhaps next time.

It's good to know that you will carry some fuel for us that will help 😉

Has the Shambles lost some of its glory? We headed down to the Shambles from Cobbs around 7.15 am. on one of our annual pilgrimages. Departure was a little later than anticipated due to a few hiccups and an iced up boat and slippy pontoons.

As high water on the Shambles was 8 am. We had a little bit of tide against us and conditions were relatively calm. Our average speed was around 18 knots. Spoke to Doombar and Bobblin 3 several times during the day ( Buddy Boats).

On our arrival at the East Shambles Buoy, we joined the flotilla of some 22  other boats. Our attempts to catch Mackeral and Launce resulted in one Mackeral so mainly frozen baits were used.

We had seen Mackeral earlier in the day on the way down not far from Dancing Ledge. They were skillfully being chased by Puffins. Around half the birds were diving to chase the fish to the surface, while the remainder of the flock were scooping them up. Great teamwork. I would have loved to get a picture but they would not let us get near and the shoal of fish was darting in all directions.

The weather during the day was quite chilly and, at times, the water was a murky grey. In total we caught four Turbot. Three keepers and one returned. The largest was just under 5lbs. so nothing exceptional. However, as they say, fishing is not always about catching fish. 20210413_104752.thumb.jpg.0e0fccacda5d509394d903b7e6b6579d.jpg

There seemed to be very few fish about and most boats were hammering a small area.

For those who are interested, three of us used "bling boom" rigs while Ray Ashby ( ex England and former Boat Team Manager) used a simple single flowing 5 ft trace baited with a thin sliver of Mackeral as a Launce look alike nailed to the bottom. This caught him one fish. No real conclusions here. I had two fish on bling booms, Mike Hall had one and our other Club Member, who will remain anonymous, blanked. 

We left early in the afternoon after a couple of hours of the flood as we were catching nothing. We then headed some twelve miles to Kimmeridge having first checked with the Lulworth Range Safety Boat before entering the restricted Firing Range Area on Ch 16 and then Ch 10. Fortunately, the Bream were more cooperative than the Turbot.

Fuel wise (there were no unforseen circumstances and the weather and tides were favourable). Hooky on Doombar, a Wilson Flyer with two on board with a new FStroke 115 Mercury used under 70 litres. Fisheagle, Merry Fisher 755 Marlin with four on board and quite heavily loaded used around 170 litres with a Suzuki 200 V6. The total distance for Fisheagle was around 90 miles. A bit less than anticipated as we did not stay for the whole afternoon.

So saved on going back up drifts and wind and tides were favourable both ways.

20210413_120544.thumb.jpg.7ecdef0a87de1df75cfda8cf8a5521ef.jpg