Shambles Tuesday 13 th April.

Leicester Fisheagle

1 hour ago, Leicester Fisheagle said:

Hoping to head out on the 7.30 am. Bridge if the weather holds. Anybody fancy being a buddy boat going down to the Shambles?

Hi ive got a quick silver 640 with a 90 mariner it's holds approx 100 litres and I could bring 2 extra drums that hold a total of 70 lrtrs do you think I'd make it there and back lol ive not been any where that's as far as that yet and I'm not sure what sort of mpg my boats doing lol 

As the crow flies its 23 miles to the centre of the shambles but in reality its 30 miles each way plus your drifting for the day plus your journey through the harbour and back so probably need to allow for well over 100 miles for the day plus an amount for safety allowance or mishaps

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

As the crow flies its 23 miles to the centre of the shambles but in reality its 30 miles each way plus your drifting for the day plus your journey through the harbour and back so probably need to allow for well over 100 miles for the day plus an amount for safety allowance or mishaps

Has any one done this before from poole harbour to shambles for the day using a similar setup to what I'm using ? Just wondered what sort of fuel u used and how much spare fuel you took id really love to go but I'm a bit worried incase I run out of juice half way lol 😆

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Good plan.

Yes, we might leave early, still restrictions on revs so 17knts down 

Can anyone estimate the mileage please ??

Hi Hooky what sort of boat and engine you got ? Are you planning on taking your boat there too ,? 

9 minutes ago, Ragdoll said:

Has any one done this before from poole harbour to shambles for the day using a similar setup to what I'm using ? Just wondered what sort of fuel u used and how much spare fuel you took id really love to go but I'm a bit worried incase I run out of juice half way lol 😆

I once had a Warrior 195 (no longer made) with a 150 Mariner optimax on the back and did the trip in that boat.  That had a 120 litre internal fuel tank and was ok but can't remember 100% as it was many years ago.  From what I remember the 640 uses more fuel than my Warrior did

Hi Martin, your figures are bang on. Fishing either side of slack, moving for the Plaice and drifting gave me about 110 miles last time.

We should get some assistance from the tide both ways on Tuesday

Fisheagle will have about 80 litres to spare unless there are unforseen problems or someone needs a tow.

I would suggest that Rag Doll should be ok but could be pushing it if there are any problems, don't know other variables like how many on board, weight carried etc.

Personally, I would like to know my boats fuel consumption before going all that way. I am sure other members will be heading down in the future.

36 minutes ago, Leicester Fisheagle said:

Hi Martin, your figures are bang on. Fishing either side of slack, moving for the Plaice and drifting gave me about 110 miles last time.

We should get some assistance from the tide both ways on Tuesday

Fisheagle will have about 80 litres to spare unless there are unforseen problems or someone needs a tow.

I would suggest that Rag Doll should be ok but could be pushing it if there are any problems, don't know other variables like how many on board, weight carried etc.

Personally, I would like to know my boats fuel consumption before going all that way. I am sure other members will be heading down in the future.

I can take extra fuel and lighten my boat up I could take the spare outboard off then I'd have another 20 ltrs of fuel plus the extra 70 I'll take any way so I'll have about 200 ltrs in total plus a lighter boat 

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I once had a Warrior 195 (no longer made) with a 150 Mariner optimax on the back and did the trip in that boat.  That had a 120 litre internal fuel tank and was ok but can't remember 100% as it was many years ago.  From what I remember the 640 uses more fuel than my Warrior did

Did you go with just the 120lyrs or did you take extra just in case 

Portland Marina Fuel although they do not give either opening times or cost of fuel.  Probably better is you carry enough additional fuel or ask a larger boat to carry for you.  If you were to go up when we are going I would be more than happy to take your additional fuel for you.  Only problem for us is we would only venture up there on weekends

2 hours ago, Ragdoll said:

I can take extra fuel and lighten my boat up I could take the spare outboard off then I'd have another 20 ltrs of fuel plus the extra 70 I'll take any way so I'll have about 200 ltrs in total plus a lighter boat 

I hope you are not a smoker !!!!!!! 

Hi ive got a quick silver 640 with a 90 mariner it's holds approx 100 litres and I could bring 2 extra drums that hold a total of 70 lrtrs do you think I'd make it there and back lol ive not been any where that's as far as that yet and I'm not sure what sort of mpg my boats doing lol 
Sounds like if you use half a tank (50 litres) getting there, you have half a tank left for drifts and then 70 for the way home, just run efficiently as you can and don't blast back up the drift as the tide can be pushing hard. Just stick to you usual cruising revs.

As already said, there is Portland marina close by for a top up.

Using the plotter to reset at the start of a trip, and then calculating the fuel used is something you should know. Then if you do 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 2 litres per mile it's a quick sum and you know what is expected. Just remember, if weather changes you can use 30/50% more fuel if it gets really rough.

Sunday I think we did 70/80 miles in total.

R

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Sounds like if you use half a tank (50 litres) getting there, you have half a tank left for drifts and then 70 for the way home, just run efficiently as you can and don't blast back up the drift as the tide can be pushing hard. Just stick to you usual cruising revs.

As already said, there is Portland marina close by for a top up.

Using the plotter to reset at the start of a trip, and then calculating the fuel used is something you should know. Then if you do 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 2 litres per mile it's a quick sum and you know what is expected. Just remember, if weather changes you can use 30/50% more fuel if it gets really rough.

Sunday I think we did 70/80 miles in total.

R

Think ill leave it this time until I know what mpg I can do . Shame as I've always wanted to catch a turbot 

4 hours ago, Ragdoll said:

Think ill leave it this time until I know what mpg I can do . Shame as I've always wanted to catch a turbot 

Mines same engine as yours, it’s never going to be the same .

I have been working out my consumption, 1.5lts per mile

Taking 100 litres, .

Very happy to have some buddy’s on this trip, it’s the sensible thing 

it’s been a while but 🤣

000DF25E-1470-40BE-95C7-60683A9EDB75.jpeg