Black Bream conservation time

Coddy

It is getting close to the Black Bream spawning season, please be aware you may get challenged by government officials on what you are doing when out fishing.

The environmental groups want to impose a ban on fishing for Black Bream during the spawning season, April to July, so please keep any retained fish to a minimum

If you catch a female full of eggs please return asap, the male of course guards the nest and tries to fight off predators who want to eat the eggs, so females are the best to keep after they have spawned.

There is of course no ban or restrictions on recreational anglers in the Dorset area at the moment but please do not give anyone reason to target RSA's like they have tried to do over the past two years

By demonstrating that RSA's are responsible and environmentally aware, will help stop any articles targeting RSA's as the villains

Thanks Dave

Out of interest, when I catch females I automatically return them eggs or not. For the males, I use a 2.000 meter long keep net which is tied off from the bathing platform. This keeps the fish alive during my fishing session and then returned at the end. Of course, I  may keep the odd one or two for the pot!!

• 5 months later...