New Joiner

Anser

Hi,

I have joined and paid up.  I am primarily a fly fisherman targeting Bass from the boat.  Prior to June I am interested in trying to catch a few Plaice and Bream.  On the Plaice seem to get plenty of bites but rarely convert them to fish when drifting.

Any advice most welcome

welcome. you are in the right place for the advice!

I have been interested to go after bass on the fly, have tried it in chichester harbour, but there are fewer spots to try it in Poole. I have been looking at the shingle bar near the harbour entrance, lots of gulleys and 6ft water, and it is outside the bass nursery area. lots of traffic through.

let me know how you get on.  

When you get a bite are you letting out line as you drift? The method for plaice on the drift is to fish holding the rod with the reel in free spool but your thumb on the spool stopping the line. The instant you feel a bite release your thumb letting out line for around 10 seconds then thumb the spool again and as the line tightens you should feel the weight of a nice spotty on the end. 

Oh and welcome

1 hour ago, dicky said:

When you get a bite are you letting out line as you drift? The method for plaice on the drift is to fish holding the rod with the reel in free spool but your thumb on the spool stopping the line. The instant you feel a bite release your thumb letting out line for around 10 seconds then thumb the spool again and as the line tightens you should feel the weight of a nice spotty on the end. 

Oh and welcome

Just out of interest, is that your Witney or my Witney?

Terry.