Thursday 18th launch local wreck

Hooky

Winds nne 14 - 16 from pm / tide dropping off, my plan was a possible wreck (Betsy Anna) 6 miles off for two hours for my first attempt at slow jigging.

Due to the netting and trawling plan B was to head West in a attempt to catch something that swims,

I have virtually had three blank trips in the last couple of weeks so any help or advice more than welcome 🙏 

So Doombar did fine 😃.

Im not going to bother with a catch report, this was a boating trip.

The main aim was to find a wreck (Betsy Anna) this small wreck is about 10 miles from Cobbs.

The sea swell was nasty, I practiced drifting over while plotting.

I trust my fish finder to show fish ( yes they do !!!) shoals of small fish surrounding this wreck.

No chance of trying out my new slow jigs due to the swell so with Swanage bay not far I decided to use the Navionics shading features in my honest opinion it is truly fantastic.

I have in the past struggled to find the tiny features, the ledges and reefs let alone the areas of sand between slate beds.

The other exercise was to also show Tracy that if you can watch you lure on the finder in 60ft of water they WILL show a fish ( don’t believe that swim bladder noncence)

Messing about with different cone angles is also very interesting, combine that with the signal strength, clarity etc is something I had never had time to play with let alone altering the angle of the transducer.

I was the person that just left it on standard settings, I no expert but four hours messing about has been well spent.

So you find the fish ? that means nothing, getting them to take your bait/ lure etc is down to skill and experience, this is why some of the ‘old boys’ with none of this electronics stuff will out catch you every time 😂

Sounds like fun

Those hours learning how to tune the boats tools are well worth it in the end

Fish around the wreck are possible small pollack and pout, Betsy Ann has never fished that well for us.

It is too small a target when anchoring.

The line of wrecks  a few miles further out are much better, but for lures it needs to be when visibility is good.

Spot on Charlie 

41 minutes ago, great white said:

Sounds like fun

Those hours learning how to tune the boats tools are well worth it in the end

Fish around the wreck are possible small pollack and pout, Betsy Ann has never fished that well for us.

It is too small a target when anchoring.

The line of wrecks  a few miles further out are much better, but for lures it needs to be when visibility is good.

It’s something I have been waiting to do for many years, having a new engine has made this possible.

6 hours ago, Hooky said:

https://youtu.be/PLAwMlMsCLA

This is the bestI can find

Thanks Hooky.

I think i recognize some of those places he is fishing. Looks like he is on the wreck of SS Stanwood outside falmouth in some parts.

plus, i am with you on the lures. I dont like icky stuff in my boat