Plastic/fibreglass moulding.

plaicemat

Right, I can't play with my new toy as I can't get it back to Poole so what to do. Of course, plan what I'm going to do and how I will spend some money. One thing I want to do is fit a new chartplotter/fishfinder and flush fit it into the dashboard. However, the dash is almost flat which will make seeing the screen whilst seated virtually impossible so, what I want is an angled plastic/fibreglass moulding to fit on the dash to give me an angled surface. Question, do we have or know anyone who could fabricate one for me?

Terry.

625 dash.jpg

Hi Terry 

depends how big the unit will be Terry.

would it fit where that large gauge is in the [Timber?] part of the dash, so its just a case of swapping things around

If you want a moulding made, and nobody here has time and expertise,

You could try Andy Middleton who does a lot at the Yacht Club, he is on 07860 167991

Charlie

11 minutes ago, great white said:

depends how big the unit will be Terry.

would it fit where that large gauge is in the [Timber?] part of the dash, so its just a case of swapping things around

No, it's to go on the  area where the current chartplotter/radio are Charlie. I want to put a larger 12" Raymarine unit in there but you will now see my problem as regards visibility, that area is virtually horizontally level. I could obviously knock something up out of wood but I want it to be cosmetically appealing and consistent with what's there.

Terry.

i wouldnt be so quick to get a flush mounted version. they look really nice but are really annoying when you get the sun reflecting on them as you cant change the angle.

But if you are dead set on it, i think rob has the right idea, just remember to make it so that you can get it out of the mould!

In years gone by, I would never have admitted that I couldn't sort something being an engineer. However, I am past the age when I can be arsed so was hoping to find a talented fabricator to do it for me. I may change my mind if it proves too difficult.

Terry.

One man's correct angle could be different to another's Terry. When we fitted JV2, Ad and I mocked it up in scrap wood first. Everything from seating, galley cabinets and dash. Size, height and angle of dash were important to get right.

Anyone who can do a bit of glassing/mould making could make a "box" cut at an angle, correct size and shape etc is the challenge.

Shame you didn't buy her earlier, could have had 9momths to tinker at home and learn from YouTube!

Good luck.

R

Terry ,I think making a box to give you the best viewing angle will be tricky on your installation as you will realistically have to follow the viewing angle of your existing plotter which means losing your existing dash mounted gauges as they wouldn't be visible  behind the new moulding.

Option would be to remove the existing dash and gauges and extend using the binnacle curve as the base angle into a new moulding with a front vertical dash which can accommodate  all the equipment with the correct ergonomics.

Personally I would consider consider mounting your new unit on a tilt swivel stand so you could angle it as required under differing conditions not as pretty but very practical😎

Another vote for adjustable brackets here. I have a flush mounted unit that is harder to see (wrong angle) than the two bracket mounted units, which I have angled to suit my height. I also find that it's easier to flick my eyes between the bracket units and the horizon, whereas my whole head has to look down to see the flush mounted unit.

ttbKDs4.jpg

I think I may have been convinced to bin this idea, I already have a Lowrance Hook Reveal 9 and am tempted by Andy's setup. I was going to fit a Raymarine unit and have the Lowrance free standing but I could save some money on a second unit by following this path.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's good to talk things through

Terry.

Returning to this topic briefly, I have almost certainly decided to go for two units mounted as Andy has shown. However, as always, there is a conundrum which I can't fathom. I have decided upon the Lowrance Elite Ti 2 9" units as they have a few benefits based on the fact that they are fitted with wifi. Once paired, they will run from one Navionics card which cuts down on the expense of an extra card and they will also run on one transducer, pretty handy. I have also been looking at running off a shoot through hull transducer but, unfortunately, this will only give me standard sonar and 2D display, no downview or sidescan so, back to basics. Another option was a 12" display which I thought I could probably manage with on split screen display but here lies the conundrum I spoke of, for the same model, one 12" display costs almost double what two 9" displays cost all but about £4 so, no brainer! An additional benefit is. being wifi, I can mount an additional bracket and power cable in a convenient spot for displaying the sonar whilst drifting wrecks. Cool!

Nothing else to do so deliberations continue.

Terry.

8 minutes ago, plaicemat said:

Returning to this topic briefly, I have almost certainly decided to go for two units mounted as Andy has shown. However, as always, there is a conundrum which I can't fathom. I have decided upon the Lowrance Elite Ti 2 9" units as they have a few benefits based on the fact that they are fitted with wifi. Once paired, they will run from one Navionics card which cuts down on the expense of an extra card and they will also run on one transducer, pretty handy. I have also been looking at running off a shoot through hull transducer but, unfortunately, this will only give me standard echo sounder and 2D display, no downview or sidescan so, back to basics. Another option was a 12" display which I thought I could probably manage with on split screen display but here lies the conundrum I spoke of, for the same model, one 12" display costs almost double what two 9" displays cost all but about £4 so, no brainer! An additional benefit is. being wifi, I can mount an additional bracket and power cable in a convenient spot for displaying the echo sounder whilst drifting wrecks. Cool!

Nothing else to do so deliberations continue.

Terry.

I've not used the wifi connectivity on the Ti2's but before you buy seek out some feedback from those who have. You may find that sharing chart card and transducer data over wifi results in lagging between the two units. This is occasionally evident on Ethernet connected units, so I can only presume that it will be the same if not worse for wifi connections. After all, you're passing a lot of data between two units and you'll want the connection to be as good as possible. Do the Ti2's have a yellow ethernet connection on the back? I'd use this if so as the ethernet cables are quite cheap.

Edited to say that if you plan to use one unit as the chartplotter and the other as the FF, with the transducer connected to the FF unit you should be able to avoid data lag, its only when you want to see your FF view on your plotter unit or vice versa that you may run into lagging.

All good points chaps, Andy after speaking to the tech fellows at Navico, I had almost decided to fit the sonar to one unit and the card in the other, thus designating purposes; further research will continue as I have nothing else to do. With regard to the smartphone, the Elite Ti 2 will indeed talk to my phone and I can upload or download data from the Navionics app. However, using the 'phone as a sonar device whilst drifting would not really be an option as I am having to gradually increase the size of my displays so I can see them on the move, a disadvantage with age.

Terry.

24 minutes ago, plaicemat said:

I had almost decided to fit the sonar to one unit and the card in the other, thus designating purposes

This is exactly how I run my units. The lower unit is the chart plotter, the upper unit is the FF. I share depth data from the FF unit to the Plotter unit so I can see the depth reading simultaneously on both screens.

Another advantage of having two identical units is that if one should ever break whilst I'm out, I can easily switch the chart card or transducer cable into the other unit and still salvage the rest of the day and get home safely.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Another advantage of having two identical units is that if one should ever break whilst I'm out, I can easily switch the chart card or transducer cable into the other unit and still salvage the rest of the day and get home safely.

My thoughts exactly.

Terry.

I have raymarine kit and I think I use mine a little different to you guys.  If we are to drift fish, when we are travelling to say a wreck or bank I use my 12" unit to navigate and the 7" as a sounder.  When we arrive at a wreck after locating it and pinging marks (if not already done on a previous visit) I switch them over and navigate with the 7" unit and use the 12" as a sounder.  Having already found the wreck or bank a small screen zoomed in is fine for navigation.  This allows us to see the 12" screen soundings from the back of the boat with either one of us shouting when the feature starts to show up.  Both units have a navigation card and both are connected via wifi with either being able to be the master screen.  As my screens are a little far from the helm and to save standing up to reach them when underway we also have a tablet that also shows all the information and can operate either screen via wifi

I have yet to refine my technique, this will be saved for when I can practice. As you know Martin, I am a very amateur wrecker having only done odd trips on clement days in my Warrior, with a certain amount of success, I have to say, As the screens will be banked one behind the other, I imagine I will navigate with the nearer one being on chart and then when arriving will change over so we can see the nearest one from the cockpit, they will both be 9" screens, big enough on my small bigger boat I think.

Terry.

19 minutes ago, Death Trap II said:

one benefit of a smaller boat, i can fish from the same seat i drive in!

i think this year i am going to make use of the navionics app on my phone as well to get a better view of the bottom features while using the sonar on my fixed screen.

I intend doing the same.