Alderney 2021...

Steve S

For those staying in B&Bs, a Covid lateral flow test the day before would be very much appreciated although not a mandatory requirement. If it's against your human rights, religious beliefs or you just think it's not necessary, fine, just passing on the information, doesn't seem like a biggy to me and I shall be complying for the peace of mind of my skipper having me in his wheelhouse. They are going to pass this on to the charter skippers.

Terry.

Sounds like a good Idea

I hope the Islands l keep the window for this trip Open

I was talking to a Member at the Yacht Club who has a house on the Island and he told me that the Harbour Master told him not to bring his boat over yet.

Also do we know if the moorings are in place?

Good Idea Martin

I have checked the web, and there is some info on there that I do not seem to be able to copy and paste on here.

In a nutshell it says that the rules may change on 1st July.

So I phoned the Harbour Master on 01481 820070 and had a chat to him. seems like a helpful chao.

Good news is that there are moorings in place, not so good news some are being reserved for vessels having to quarantine on arrival.

He did suggest that if there are not enough moorings we may want to go on anchor as it is good holding ground.

When I pushed further about which band we would be in from Poole , he said to check a few days in advance of going. It sounded like we would at the very minimum need evidence of vaccinations and possibly need to do a PCR test on arrival. Not being allowed ashore until we get results. If changes get tighter it would mean a 7 day quarantine.

Either of these could bugger up the trip at short notice.

I will have another go at pasting the info

Charlie

Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm to remove all testing and self-isolation requirements for UK visitors from July 1st

The Islands of Guernsey – Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm – are preparing to remove all testing and self-isolation requirements for visitors from the UK and other parts of the British Isles.

Today Guernsey’s government set out its planned changes to travel, which it expects to introduce on or close to July 1st.  This is based on the current progress being made with the Islands’ vaccination programme which, like the UK, is progressing quickly.  Guernsey expects to have all of its adult population vaccinated with at least one dose, and the most vulnerable with two doses, by this date.

The Islands will then move to a ‘traffic light’ system for travel rules which closely aligns to the UK’s own rules.  Those who are travelling via the UK to Guernsey from other destinations around the world will need to check if they are coming from Green, Amber, or Red countries to determine what the requirements are for entry into Guernsey. It is important that travellers check the Green, Amber or Red testing and self-isolation requirements on gov.gg/coronavirus as these may, at times differ slightly from the UK.   

But for visitors whose country of origin is the UK, or elsewhere within the Common Travel Area, there will be no testing or self-isolation requirement when they arrive in Guernsey.  This includes UK visitors who have not had a COVID-19 vaccine.

All visitors will still be asked to provide details of their travel history in the 14 days prior to visiting Guernsey through the Islands’ Travel Tracker which can be found by visiting Travelling to and from the Bailiwick | States of Guernsey - COVID-19 (gov.gg).

The move to unrestricted travel for UK visitors, and fewer restrictions for those visiting from many other countries, reflects the changing focus for the Islands’ community which is now able to make its successful vaccination programme the first line of defence, and to take the next steps in learning to live responsibly with COVID-19. 

Chief Minister of Guernsey, Deputy Peter Ferbrache said

“Islanders have worked together fantastically since our first COVID case in spring 2020, and thanks to them we have avoided some of the worst effects of the pandemic compared with many other parts of the world.  But it’s still been challenging, and one of the hardest parts is how we have had to restrict travel meaning many Island residents have been separated from family and friends, and we have not been able to welcome the many visitors who normally come to our shores for holidays and business each year.  It’s a part of Island life that’s been on hold, but finally we’re near the point we can un-pause and reconnect with the rest of the British Isles and the rest of the world.”

The Islands are home to a busy and diverse tourism industry with a wide range of hotels and accommodation providers, attractions, guides, restaurants and visitor-focused events.  Since the beginning of the pandemic they have been supported by the local community through a successful staycation campaign and a busy food-and-drink trade, as Guernsey has been COVID-free for most of the past 18 months.  For most of that period there have been no restrictions on the local community (no social distancing, no face coverings, no limits on business activity etc) because of the border restrictions which have carefully controlled incoming travel and the importation of COVID cases. 

But despite the local support, tourism businesses have relied upon emergency funding from the Guernsey government to sustain them through this difficult period, and the sector is now bursting to begin welcoming visitors again and showing off their fantastic Island home.

Ant Ford-Parker, founder/owner of Outdoor Guernsey and Chair of the Guernsey Tourism Partnership said

“This is great news for everyone involved in the tourism and hospitality industries in the Islands.  We are thankful to all those making the decisions and most especially the community, who have been so supportive, for getting us to this moment.  We now look forward with excitement to welcoming UK visitors, family and friends again. To rebuilding and revitalising our businesses and working to make the most of the new opportunities as people look for safe, welcoming and uniquely different destinations in a changed world.”   

Thanks Charlie, that what made us look for the 'good' tides after 1st July, as it happened the 2nd is a good one being as the neap tides are over a weekend. 

IMO we should be ok unless the Delta variant really takes off with hospital admissions rising and the islanders then get cold feet about having a tourist season this year. I think taking a lateral flow test is ok, any sort of quarantine / waiting more than a few hours to get on the island makes the trip a non starter.

Their vaccine program is as advanced as ours.

This concurs with the information I passed on a while back gleaned from the B&B who had the latest directive. However, as stated, we must all prepare for this to change at short notice as with any travel arrangements.

Terry.

Alderney trip postponed, sad to say but not surprised.

Just seen this:
On the 11 June 2021, the Civil Contingencies Authority have announced the opening of the borders with the Common Travel Area (UK, Jersey & Isle of Man), originally planned on the 1st July, is postponed to a later date due to the prevalence levels rising across the UK.

https://www.visitalderney.com/inspire/coronavirus-covid-19-update/

We’ve been down today on a 1.2m tide and had up to 2.6 knots tide so pretty much ideal. I wouldn’t want more than that.

We we’re chatting onboard today about the possibility of going to Alderney and no going ashore just staying onboard and being self sufficient for a couple of days?

13 hours ago, Wight Magic said:

What about fuelling up? 

JV has a 400L tank so enough to get over fish and get back for a 2/3 day trip. Add in a few Jerry cans for good measure.

Id only took to do it this way on an exceptional forecast I might add!

It would appear that Alderney will now allow visitors from the UK who have been double vaccinated plus a two week time lapse.

That would be ok for me, but would exclude Adam and maybe others, so not sure yet what JV’s plans will be.

Below is the message I received from the guest house we have booked.

Ian

The borders are still opening on 1st July, but are now using a different system. Which Guernsey government changed on Friday.

Here is an update issued since on local radio. 

Or you can look for most recent updates on 
www.gov.gg/coronavirus 
This is the post from Guernsey government as of 2 days ago.

I have received the same information as Ian so the important question is, how many of us are double vaccinated with a 14 day gap from the last one on the day of departure. I'm o/k so will be able to go. Perhaps we will need a bit of doubling up on participating boats?

Please attend to this ASAP as the B&B's will need to know.

Terry.

O/k, as I'm sat doing nothing with gout in my right foot, I've 'phoned around everyone and it appears that we are all good to go, being of 'a certain age' except for Adam so, there's some benefit to being an old git; sorry Chris! All very happy to be going so, can we say it's back on?

Ian and Adam will be making a decision on their way forward and will, presumably, let us know in due course. This is all good because it saves me having to get into negotiations about returned deposits.

Terry.

56 minutes ago, plaicemat said:

O/k, as I'm sat doing nothing with gout in my right foot, I've 'phoned around everyone and it appears that we are all good to go, being of 'a certain age' except for Adam so, there's some benefit to being an old git; sorry Chris! All very happy to be going so, can we say it's back on?

Ian and Adam will be making a decision on their way forward and will, presumably, let us know in due course. This is all good because it saves me having to get into negotiations about returned deposits.

Terry.

Can We take it from that positive message,  that you have spoken to the accommodation owners and all is good, so we can all go back to worrying about weather forecasting.

8 minutes ago, great white said:

Can We take it from that positive message,  that you have spoken to the accommodation owners and all is good, so we can all go back to worrying about weather forecasting.

All good to go, everything sorted but I'm afraid I have no connections to ensure suitable weather, anyone know a priest?

Terry.