Lobster Pot

stetra

Hi

This season I bought my first boat and a thoughtful family member decided to buy me a Lobster Pot for my 50th Birthday earlier this month.   I have a few questions if I may;

- Should I invest in leaded rope or would you advise I weigh down cheaper nylon rope?

- What is the maximum length of rope I am likely to need for the sites you recommend?

- Can you recommend any areas that are good for pot placement in and around Branksome, Canford, Studland, Old Harry, Swanage (as far out as Poole Patch)?

- After placement how long should I leave the pot before returning?

- What risks should I be aware of (as it relates to pots drifting or being lost completely) when it comes to winds and tides?  Any tips to minimise the risks?

- I understand mackerel is decent bait ?  I have also read crushed cockles can work well?  any other suggestions?

- I will use a single pot and will be a recreational hobbyist - do I need to mark my buoys to identify myself?

- What are the risks of theft - rigs and or stock?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

Hi Steve,

This is something I would like to do in the future and have had your thoughts and more. Over the last four months I have tried to buy frozen Mackerel from 2-3 commercial suppliers, they have not had any, most commercials using Gurnard now I believe.

I think one of your biggest problems will be not upsetting commercials, I might be totally wrong.

I am sure members with much more knowledge will help you. Try looking at Fishlocker on YouTube, he’s done some interesting films.

Good luck!!