Jump to content

Refurb and running repairs on JY177

Recommended Posts

So as with any used boat, there are a few niggles that I want to sort out on JY177. The list started off quite small, but the more time I spend working on her, the more things I find I want to do or fix.

So far I've removed the Lowrance LSS-1 downscan/sidescan transducer and black box, and in its place I've installed the Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer from Apache (the orginal Totalscan transducer has gone back on Apache). The LSS-1 kit may be available shortly - need to test that it works and assuming so I'll advertise it here.

I've drained the propylene glycol from the Airmar M260 transducer tank and epoxied up a leak in the tank itself. Need to re-fill it with new fluid next.

I've started to unpick the wiring loom from behind the helm - much of what is there seems to have been done well/competently, which is encouraging. There are some oddities but nothing too serious or un-fixable. For example, the deck light is not wired into a switch or power - just loose cables routed round to behind the dash. Or the fact that the existing plotters are wired into the permanent live side of the switch panel, and therefore aren't actually switched, or the fact that the stern bilge pump was wired to run off the Start battery instead of the House.


I've also replaced the diaphragm on the manual bilge pump which had gone dry and cracked along the fold inside.

And nipped up a small weep in the main helm hydraulic unions. Had to go and buy a 16mm spanner for that. I'll replace the hydraulic fluid with new and bleed the system shortly.

Next up is to install the HDS 9 Live from Apache and remove the old HDS 8 Gen 1 from the helm, then figure out how to cover or make use of the hole that it will leave

Then replace the desk wash pump. Here's the old one. The new one is sitting on my desk waiting to be installed.

Two new flush-fit rod holders are on their way from Italy which will be installed in the corners of the splashwell top surface, and two new batteries are already on the boat waiting to be installed.
Also need to re-wire and re-secure the forward bilge pump as I found it rolling around free in the bottom of the hull.

Then replace the ground tackle with a longer length of chain and more rode. The current set-up has 6mm chain barely half the length of the hull, and only 70m-ish of rode.
Then after all that is done, I can go fishing...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to the above I've since removed the HDS5 from the second helm station, enlarged the hole in the wheelhouse and installed the HDS7 in its place. Wired up and fired up. All good.


The original hole with the HDS5 removed.

The template marked up, showing the areas of GRP to be removed.

The finished installation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...