Chartplotter problems

plaicemat

My backup chartplotter, an Eagle Fish Strike (Lowrance) is giving me the message GPS Module is not responding so I assume the antenna is furgled. Do we have a tame electronics firm who can confirm my diagnosis and, perhaps, supply a new module. I like to go with local people where possible (your local, not mine, Oxfordshire is not known for it's marine electronics))

Terry.

My backup chartplotter, an Eagle Fish Strike (Lowrance) is giving me the message GPS Module is not responding so I assume the antenna is furgled. Do we have a tame electronics firm who can confirm my diagnosis and, perhaps, supply a new module. I like to go with local people where possible (your local, not mine, Oxfordshire is not known for it's marine electronics))

I've got an old lowrance 3300 globalmap  that is my  backup and the GPS antenna module regularly gives up the ghost with the not responding message.

There is a possible software update that can assist this problem but not guaranteed.

Mine sometimes bursts back into life if I unplug it and replug it in after about 30seconds and sometimes restarting the plotter fixes the problem sometimes it comes back on its own.

A new /replacement Lowrance antenna was around £125 last time I looked but would probably not fix the issue as it is a known design fault on this model and although 3rd party units can be made to work at lower cost i would recommend paying a bit more and getting a new budget chartplotter for backup.

I do have a spare 1st edition unused antenna at home if you need to try it but these were even more unreliable as didnt have the software mod.When I get back from Wales next week I will send you a picture to see if its compatible with yours .If so your welcome to it.

Thanks everyone for your input, all useful stuff. Brian and Dicky, I tried The Service Centre as I have used them in the past but, regretably, I didn't get farther than "we don't deal with Lowrance or Eagle". Despite asking for a bit of advice, I got the same response. I then tried Greeham Regis and they were helpful but the person I really needed to speak to was absent. Hey ho! Then, on Brians recommendation, I called Navico who are the Lowrance agents and asked to be put through to the Service Dept as I generally find engineers more knowledgeable that sales people. He talked me through my problem and advised, as I had suspected, that my unit is obsolete, Eagle are not made any more and I can't get a replacement GPS module. I could get a compatible unit which might work but no guarantees.

Now I was able to make a decision, it's definitely a new toy! I decided on a Lowrance Hook Reveal, 9" and Navico obviously sell them but the engineer had a quick look on line and found that Force 4 have them at a discounted price with £100 off, bargain! I found this surprising as it is the latest bit of kit they do and the one recommended by the Navico engineer.and, again surprisingly, he had recommended NOT to go for the Triple Shot model which saved me about £60. Long story short, I am awaiting delivery. As usual the Club has come up trumps with advice and my problem is, hopefully, solved. I look forward to being able to see where I am going. Next challenge is transferring my marks, hopefully easy as they are both the same manufacturer.

Terry.

If that is Navico in Romsey then they have been ace for me. I had what I thought was a problem, and to troubleshoot I popped my unit in to them. Even offered to go through to their workshop whilst they hooked it up to their system to check the unit. Can't remember the result outside of, it wasn't the unit as worked perfectly on their bench.

R

I think I'm going to have to go back to school though, this thing has so many features, I believe I would probably lose the plot using it at sea. A good session with the simulator on is required, I think.

Terry.

2 hours ago, Tiddler said:

Quote "  I believe I would probably lose the plot " :lol:

I think in the " Sales bumf " it says . . . . . . . 

" Impossible to Lose the Plot " :smileys-fish-721285:

Lowrance used to have downloadable simulators.

Indeed Jim, and simulator mode on the unit

Terry.

Just a quick update. The new Lowrance unit has arrived and is installed, it produces some very nice pictures. I used the opportunity to take care of one or two other little jobs so spent two days at it,, a very nice break. Of course, I couldn't risk an overnight stay so travelled down and back both days. Worth it!

Terry.