Wind Turbines 12v battery charging

Raymond Ellerton

Hi Raymond,

I looked into this a few years ago. I take it you have no mains/shore power to use a conventional charger, nor a method of charging it up when under way. I would look to link it to your engine alternator if at all possible, so it's getting charge whenever the engine is running.

The marines turbines/generators are expensive, and only deliver a few amps. The good news is they can keep delivering it 24 hours per day, so need carefully regulating. The vibration and noise can be significant, and wherever they're placed they will need careful bracing on a pole with supporting wires. This makes it difficult to remove if it's in the way. While it will be more than enough to keep a leisure battery on a boat charged, you might have other options open to you.

Have a look on Google (or similar) for "marine wind generators" for costs, performance etc.

If you then look for "marine solar panels" that might give you another option, which could save you a thousand pounds or so...I have a small £40 solar panel that I use to keep my car battery charged when away a couple of years ago, and it fits inside the back window. The car started first time after 16 weeks, despite the security system being active all of that time.

A third option would be a portable power pack you can charge at home, or even remove and charge the leisure battery itself at home.

Others may have a different solution, but good luck, whatever you decide.

Mike

Hi, Mike Thank you for your input. I have been looking at this system. And have seen a video of it running it was noise ( I did not consider this ) The attraction is it will charge all night. It's  $180  But $20 Delivery . And will arrive 10.08.20 to 25.08.20 was looking for something next week LOL

Travel Wind Turbine Kits 12 volt battery charging for electronics

Regards Ray

Hi Ray

It depends what you have onboard that has to stay live overnight

Fridges heaters etc draw a lot of power, but bilge pumps and fresh water systems on auto do not

Overnight I only really need the GPS for an anchor alarm and an anchor light [ I keep meaning to change that lamp to an LED]

Hi Charlie

Yes will need the fridge and heaters also TV Lights and stuff. so thinking of a silent suitcase size Genny. The boat next to me in Cobbs has a turbine it's a bit different to any i have seen before and it is silent but i don't know what the output is waiting to catch up with the owner and get some info 

Regards