Hinged bow roller any recommendations??

Ben

Hi all 

Going to fit a hinged bow roller to the boat as the anchor keeps tripping just as it goes into the existing roller and the hinged one will stop this .....has anyone got any good makes to go for ??? 

Cheers Ben 

I think the biggest problem is to get the anchor to hang in the right position as it is being lifted.

When Allan had an extended roller fitted on his Merry Fisher, he tried a number of different ideas to see if we could get it in the correct position to stow on the roller.

In the end I found it easier to winch it up until the anchor was clear of the water and then manual pull the last bit in by hand, this way I could keep the anchor clear of the hull to prevent damage if it start to swing about in the swell and if needs be lift the anchor shaft onto the roller.

It has been awhile since I have been out with Allan so he might have come up with a better method.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear I suspect.

I  have an extended bow roller and it works fine, I think its more the style of anchor than anything else.

With a bruce style anchor an a proper anchor swivel fitted once the stem hits the roller the heavier legs of

the bruce style rotate due to the gravity being either side and makes it difficult to orientate in any other way

other than claws down. Hope this helps Ben.

I  have an extended bow roller and it works fine, I think its more the style of anchor than anything else.
With a bruce style anchor an a proper anchor swivel fitted once the stem hits the roller the heavier legs of
the bruce style rotate due to the gravity being either side and makes it difficult to orientate in any other way
other than claws down. Hope this helps Ben.
The swivel won't work with a tripped anchor, that is the issue as far as I understand it.

R

11 hours ago, Rob said:

The swivel won't work with a tripped anchor, that is the issue as far as I understand it.

R

My swivel is fitted to the trip cable which is secured to the anchor eye with heavy cable tie.

The trip cable runs down the anchor shaft and is held with very thin cable ties and is secured to

the front trip eye with a steel shackle.

1 hour ago, SWELLBOY said:

My swivel is fitted to the trip cable which is secured to the anchor eye with heavy cable tie.

The trip cable runs down the anchor shaft and is held with very thin cable ties and is secured to

the front trip eye with a steel shackle.

Any chance of a picture of that set up ?

No pictures I am afraid as I am land locked and the boat is down in Dorset. To explain the trip cable has two

loops with the front one secured to the shackle  through the trip eye of the anchor. The cable is laid taught

along the anchor shaft and secured with small weak cable ties every few inches. The cable is secured tightly to 

the anchor eye with heavy cable tie 10mm wide and ends in a loop which is marginally longer than the anchor

to which a anchor swivel is secured. Under normal conditions the load on the anchor is along the axis of the

anchor shaft and is taken by the the shackle and the heavy cable tie in combination. Should the anchor foul

motor up towards it which breaks the heavy cable tie at the rear of the anchor together with the weak ties that

bind it to the shaft . You are now connected to the trip eye only and can pull it out. I might add my boat is only about

a ton so for heavier boats you may need more than one heavy cable ties at the rear of the anchor. What have you got 

to lose (a few cable ties). Hope this helps Richard

Hi All,

I tried to fit one similar on my Cap Camarat 

I could not get the screw undone so sent it back.

Turns out screws are locked in with a type of lock tight.

Made my own extension pieces and a Bow plate from 3mm 316 Stainless Steel.

Nylon rollers of varying widths and diameters are available from Sea screw 

I'll send some photos when I get down to the boat.

Mikey B

Edited by Maverick
Added live link

Hi All,

Photos of the modified bow roller for my Cap Camarat.

I made cardboard templates first to copy the profiles to the 316 stainless steel.

I used all the existing fixing holes in the original roller so I can remove it if I wish.

Rollers are 86mmx49mm for the large one at the front.

The other two are 68mmx49mm.

Front one moves up and down to allow the delta anchor to jam against the lower edge.

No anchor movement at all when at sea.

316 Stainless is very hard to work by had so it took a considerable time to cut and profile with a hacksaw and various files.

Bow plate was gain a cardboard template and all cut and polished by hand.

Polishing was with progressively finer wet and dry paper starting with 400 grit and finishing with 3000 grit.

This was by far the hardest to achieve the finish required and took hours.

I'm pleased with the end result and it stopped the anchor hitting the bow when its retrieved.

Mikey B

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

My Cap Camarat 6.5 CC the  Delta anchor is 7KG

I'm a fair weather fisherman and don't venture out too far now.

Not really serious fishing any more its more about going out with the family and enjoying the day out.

Not had an issue so far time will tell.

Mikey B