WiFi expert wanted.

lofty

I have super fast virgin broadband but poor coverage across my house. I’ve used extenders to limited success

I’m after a tech expert to supply and install a solution to cover my house. I’ve been told that using a BT home hub with the virgin cable is a good workaround, but I’m out of my depth so want to chuck some money at it.

Do we have any recommendations for Wifi wizards?

Cheers

Mesh is the tech you want, a system that allows a device move from location to location seamlessly. You don't get this with a 'normal' extender.

These are good, but will nee you to put the virgin media hub in "modem mode" - they take care of everything:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-e4/

I fancy the disc ones and would ceiling mount, need to pull carpet up on the landing though for power!!!

R

I have the tplink deco m4. 

If you need to plug in any devices via an Ethernet cable I'd get the m4, which is only a little bit more than the e4.

The setup is easy and straight forward, hot all of 10 mins if I remember right.

The coverage is great, can't fault it at all. 

I got my treble pact for a penny under 100, keep an eye on hotdealsuk as they have deals from time to time.

I like this bit:

"        You might be tempted to believe that an AC3200 router provides a wireless network that works at 3200 Mbps. That would be amazing, but, unfortunately, it is false. The truth is that this naming convention is not useful for making a purchasing decision. It is just a marketing tactic that tries to make you believe that a router is faster than it really is.    "

Cheeky devils ! :P

19 hours ago, lofty said:

I have super fast virgin broadband but poor coverage across my house. I’ve used extenders to limited success

I’m after a tech expert to supply and install a solution to cover my house. I’ve been told that using a BT home hub with the virgin cable is a good workaround, but I’m out of my depth so want to chuck some money at it.

Do we have any recommendations for Wifi wizards?

Cheers

The bt extenders worked for us just recently, the house is covered now.

I had the same problem with Virgin and would often lose wifi signal across the lounge about 8 feet away.

Despite requests for assistance and wifi extenders there was no successful solution

I managed to solve this by signing up with sky who did a great job installing routers and extenders across the house

I have not had a problem since. Always wifi anywhere in the house.

Worth a try for the same money

Tony

The bt extenders worked for us just recently, the house is covered now.

We’ve got BT extenders but they are a bit hit and miss. I’ve got a pretty big house with steels and i’m sure they interrupt WiFi?
The BT discs don’t get good online reviews, many talk of dropping out, and that’s what i’m trying to avoid. There is a mesh system that also mixes the extender technology so maybe best of both worlds.???

5 minutes ago, lofty said:

We’ve got BT extenders but they are a bit hit and miss. I’ve got a pretty big house with steels and i’m sure they interrupt WiFi?
The BT discs don’t get good online reviews, many talk of dropping out, and that’s what i’m trying to avoid. There is a mesh system that also mixes the extender technology so maybe best of both worlds.???

We had a guy come around to measure the signal and the dead areas, the coverage has improved. 

I like this bit:
"        You might be tempted to believe that an AC3200 router provides a wireless network that works at 3200 Mbps. That would be amazing, but, unfortunately, it is false. The truth is that this naming convention is not useful for making a purchasing decision. It is just a marketing tactic that tries to make you believe that a router is faster than it really is.    "

Cheeky devils ! 
Quite right Jim, it is "theoretical" speed of transfer.

3200Mbps, be lucky to have anything that can receive / transmit that sort of speed.

Like our broadband, oh, 100Mbps is the slowest (and cheapest) I can get from Virgin, they tried to say I needed more! Got to be joking!

99.9% of the time, if I am downloading something, the source (say Microsoft for updates) won't let me pull updates down faster that 50Mpbs so others stand a chance. So what is the point of 100!

Plus, there is something call contention, you share your "speed" with you neighbours. Yes you can get 100Mpbs now, but not if they all start using the internet heavily too, this is why we see slowdowns.

If you want un-contended connection, then Pay £200 a month not £20!

Contentions ratios use to be 50:1, the I think 20:1, not sure what they are now, but they will be. (20 'houses' share the theoretical 50/70/100 Mbps that your provider say you have at your fingertips).

So, a 4K (ultra HD) film from Amazon online recommends a 15Mbps connection.

Easy test for broadband speed is to use https://speedtest.net

Best to get the results from a wired device / computer or laptops. Be ok on a modern mobile with their app on 5Ghz WiFi close to your router .

R