Stern gland easy to repack yourself ?

Ben

Hi Ben, a few photos will help, and information on which type of stern gland it is. My comments below assume an inboard diesel and straight shaft.

If it's a traditional stern gland with greased flat string and a separate grease "gun" then it's straightforward but messy.

If the stern gland is dripping a tiny bit of water now, you can nip it up afloat until it just stops, then re-pack the grease "gun".

If the gland has no adjustment left and is dripping quite a bit of water, it will need re-packing. If you're lucky, it's just a matter of slackening off everything ashore, fishing out the old packing with an appropiate hooked tool, and replacing it. Always cut the flat string on the diagonal to reduce ridges, and insert it slowly whilst winding it on the shaft. Make a diagonal cut for the last bit too, so it lies neatly, and compresses uniformly (but not too tightly) as you tighten everything up, and you can then apply as much grease as you can before re-packing the "gun" as it easiest ashore.

If you have the black rubber Volvo shaft seal (or equivalent) these need a tube of grease with a metal nozzle that you insert between the two stern-facing flaps/seals on the gearbox end, and you squeeze the grease out (like toothpaste) as you rotate the shaft. These shaft seals last about 7 years, and eventually wear slightly asymmetrically causing a leak that grease won't stop. To replace them, you need to remove the shaft from the gearbox (which might be difficult without proper pullers) and slide it aft, dismantle and remove the old seal, and carefully install the new one, using the insert tool provided to make the two rubber flaps point aft as you insert the shaft. If you have rope cutters installed on your prop, these might have to be loosened or removed to drop the shaft. Oh, and keep the fitting tool in your spares box onboard, I once had a seal "invert" on launching and needed the tool to push it into the correct position.

Hope this helps,

Mike

If you have the volvo type seal Ben,

You will have to " burp" the seal when back in water so a little trickle of water comes in, this gets rid of air.

As Mike says, you would need to put in grease, I do mine through a plastic drinking straw.

MIKE WILLS at cobbs sells the grease.