Dorset fishing industry article

Stuie

While we are on a bass ban, or just allowed one fish

Excuse me if I do not cry over the fact the commercials cannot make money out of taking all they can catch.

As for the oyster farmers, the things will still be there on their strings when this is over and the market reopens

Just my brief thoughts

Likewise Charlie, well they are lucky they are out working, if not enough money is being made then furlough everyone. I have furloughed all my staff, only the 2 directors are working on a very minimal salary, we have applied for a bank loan. I'm not asking for sympathy, that's the way it is I'm just getting on with it as best I can.

I'm pretty sure that many restaurants will not survive this and if that means there are less commercials around I for one will be glad, it's overfishing that pushed up the price of fish in the first place and if this reduces the pressure on the fish, good.

I'm very uncomfortable with people losing their livelihoods, however it's economic Darwinism, natural selection, survival of the fittest etc. If you are unfortunate to have a business badly effected by the lockdown it's really tough, conversely if you make face masks you're very lucky. The important thing is all pull together.

Stay safe