My first ever boat purchase.

Ohgreatone

Hi Guys

After getting some excellent advice from Colin-58, I have scaled down the size of boat I'm looking for to something more

manageable for launching. I've put a deposit on a boat pending sea trials and I would like to know what

questions I should be asking about the boat and it's engines etc.

Its 17ft and has a Honda BF75A outboard.

Year of manufacture is 2003 and comes on a Brenderup 2 wheel trailer, extras include a Honda auxiliary outboard engine and bracket, Garmin GPS, Garmin fishfinder, stainless steel rod holders, stainless steel hand rails and grab handles, pilot and co-pilot seats, swim ladder, double "V" berth, fenders with lines and more.

583729177_Trailerview.jpg.e809b9ced13fb77335bc0cb1a53aad70.jpg

706153953_frontview.jpg.2f3deb38777bc17464b485240979bdeb.jpg1639478827_aftview.jpg.3ec2d70347eb1cb55f97b524ce186c2b.jpg613686055_sternview.jpg.9bc12f7975e1f5d91aaa5ce6a4cc24a1.jpgoutboards.jpg.cd5d4ce6242686149f836d614ed4e5c9.jpg

cockpit view.jpg

Hi Adrian, congratulations on buying your first boat, its a very exciting feeling iam sure, well done . not sure when you will be able to launch it though, especially  if there is an extended lockin for 70 year olds, we have all got to hope and prey.   when we can launch at Baiter again i feel sure i will be down and could help you get your boat in the water , may be talk details nearer the time,  i  remember it being a scary feeling going out to sea for the first time,  i was helped by two expert fisherman in particular,   Allan Green (Fisheagle)  and     Frank Morris ( Happy Hookers )   Frank is an expert at launching at baiter , knows and understands all there is to know about the tides, probably worth giving Frank a P M , sure he will be pleased to help,  we often set out together, you may like to buddy along to gain some experience.       And yep, Rob and Richards comments are probably justified. Just have to play and see.                                                                       Well the exciting wait starts now!       Best Wishes Colin.      P  S.   I would consider asking Frank when you do a sea trial if i were you to assist and advise, franks boat is similar size.

Congratulations on your new purchase, looking at the pictures she looks a good friendly boat.

If you decide to go ahead with the purchase I would suggest to the yard that they get the boat off the trailer to allow you to carry out various checks and repairs to the trailer. It looks like that one of the mudguards is broken, this might be that the boat is sitting too low and resting on the mudguards. Whilst Rob is right that the brakes and bearings may well need servicing also check the winch and strap, this is essential to work correctly to make life easy, also all the rollers turn and if it has a rear swing pivot that this is all free to move, don't for get you will need a light board if it doesn't come with one as well as 3" tie down ratchet strap to make the boat secure on the trailer, you don't want it to fall off on the way home.

When going out for a test run check to see if the engine is warm before they try to  start it, if so ask why as sometimes people like to warm up an engine when selling so it appears an easy starter, also you will see if the battery is any good in holding a charge.

Do all the electronics, if it has any, all work? Have you got the handbooks? Is there a service history with the engine and when was it last serviced and what was done? Ask the similar questions you would do if buying a car regarding any mechanicals and electricals.

Is there an anchor and how long is the warp (rope)? Is there any damage to to hull and especially the keel?

Try not to let your heart rule your decision, most of us have done that at some time in our boating career.

Do go out with a buddy boat if you buy her as a safety precaution & don't forget your life jacket and wear it!

Good luck 😎

Dave

I see that the engine has doel fins added to it. This suggests that it was thought to be slow to plane by whoever had them fitted. Could be that the engine is undersized for the hull, or that the weight of the engine made the hull stern heavy. What is the max hp for this hull? It should say on the hull plate - take a look when you go for the sea trial.

Personally I've always though that doel fins are a bit of a bodge to fix undesirable characteristics that should have been engineered out properly, either by design or by fitting trim tabs/better weight distribution etc. I feel that if doel fins are truly worthwhile they would come fitted from the factory. Just my 2 pence worth though.

Hi Adrian,   Sound advise from Dave as ever,   Probably worth mentioning at this point though,   you are about to make a substantial investment, dont spoil the ship for the sake of a half-pennies worth of tar,   i refer to the battery, as an engineer i would say keep the one with the boat now as a spare, buy a new battery, and make sure it is rated at or above what you need, that is a fair engine to start.  in my opinion the most important thing going out to sea is not actually  the fishing,  it is the safe return back to base.   batteries and isolators are a subject of there own, Charlie put a post on here worth you reading, to avoid that happening to you.                                                                                                         Think    Safety   Safety   Safety then you should be  O   K                                                                                                                                                                                                     Colin

With regard to batteries, I will offer my experiences in recent years. With my boat not being used as often as some before I moved to Cobbs, I always seemed to be having problems using Numax leisure batteries, 110 amp hour, they frequently lost their charge, so much so that I always carried a jump starter in the boot of the car. I then decided to lash out and bought an Optima Blue Top battery which is designed for starting and delivers a 'bigger burst of power on starting. Since that time, 3 years ago, I have never had to charge it, the least it has gone down to is 12.8 volts which it was when I brought it home recently as it had been unused since the beginning of November. They are expensive but I can honestly say, this is the first time I have not had to cross my fingers on starting after a lay up.

Terry.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:46 PM, Rob said:

Nice good luck, hope she goes well!

I suspect the trailer will need to be braked and working to be legal. As over 750kg (hull 450/500kg, engine 170kg, trailer 150/200kg, fuel, ropes, anchor&chain, general stuff) well over.

Rob

Thanks Rob, not sure of the weight yet, I'll check, I think you may well be right

Adrian

A big thank you to Swellboy, Coddy, Colin58, Andy135 and Plaicemat for their comments and excellent advice.

I did see Charlie's post about "the effects of battery problems" and after reading Plaicemats reply was a little surprised at the type of battery required. What is so special about a "boat battery" 

If you have 2 batteries, 1 is a starter and the other leisure.

1st has high cranking amps and the leisure will be much more happy getting flattened by your electronics whilst at anchor. And separation is key, so the starter is kept full for the way home.

Boat / marine batteries i am sure are a branding, but, if you only have 1 battery. A Traction battery is what you want, good compromise between starter and leisure. I have twin now, but before relied on a Varta such as:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/varta/lfd75/

2 hours ago, Ohgreatone said:

After looking at Coddy's pdf link, I see what Colin-58 meant by batteries and isolators being a subject of their own.

I'll need an expert for this.

So much to learn..........and relishing it.

The Blue Sea Add-a-Battery kit makes the process simple. It was one of the first upgrades I did on my boat. Well worth it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Thanks for that advice Andy135

Concerning the doel fins from your previous comment I think it could be the size and weight of the engine, Swellboy said the engine's a bit of a lump" and might need trim plates to keep the back down (my oops that should be up thanks Andy)

Edited by Ohgreatone

The trim tabs would keep the back UP and the bow down, also you can use to trim the boat for varying weight

displacement such as fuel payload, passengers, twin batteries etc. A very worthwhile modification which is

well within the scope of a DIY project and will have a profound effect on the handling of the boat.

Regards and good luck Richard 

Hi Adrian , there is a good vid on Youtube by Danger Marine, how to install a second  battery on a boat , have a peep at that if you can, it is quite simple to follow i think you will find         Cheers    Colin

Hi Adrian,

Does the boat come with an anchor? It just looks like rope overhanging the bow to me.

It seems to have an anchor locker but no visible means of securing the anchor rode e.g sampson post or cleats.

Also there is no bow roller fitted which doesn't help with lifting and securing the anchor .

Don't forget you also need a length of substantial chain between the anchor and rode. This will ALL need to store in your anchor locker.

if you select an appropriate bow roller the anchor could be retained on it .

All above just means more expense I'm afraid.Better to be aware up front

Hi Gaffa it does come with an anchor, but you're right there's no roller or anything so will need to investigate, along with lots of other issues.

On top of 3verything else there are chartd, power boat courses etc so it seems to be true that boat stands for "break out another thousand"

• 1 month later...

Update

The broker contacted me last week, they had put the boat in the water to prep it for the sea trial, and found that it had a lateral crack that was letting in water, and the engine oil was emulsified.

They gave me the option of letting them fix it, or refund my deposit.

Engines can be fixed but a lateral crack is a bit scary so I'm taking the refund.

😢😢😢

So it's back to the drawing board.

After reading the fishy tales with dodgy weather and slipways I'm having a rethink about launch and retrieve (at my tender age) so are there any members on a swing mooring. What are the disadvantages and benefits, I'm guessing security for one.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Good to hear you got sorted on that one! You don't need a shocker to begin with. Not sure if it is up your street but I have an old sweetheart for sale soon. An absolute bullet proof missile - but for a discussion  off this thread. Good look.