Passing the time

Brian

Luckily I got MegaByte home before lockdown.

I've been busy with the pressure washer, cleaned the inside using Flash with bleach to get rid of the little black mould that had formed over the winter.

Then I cleaned it top to bottom and inside with Cif, next step was T'Cut followed by a good wax polish.

It now looks as it did when I collected it from the factory.

Today I serviced the engine, just the antifoul left to do, then I'll have to find some other way of passing the time. Although Diane might have sorted that, she's ordered some paint from Homebase !!! 

What I want to know is how do you retired types ever cope with the volume of work?  Since lock down  I have been everyday in the garden doing jobs.  When I started there was just a few jobs on my list, after a week slaving away my list has got longer how does that happen?  When I finally finish the garden/exterior list (if ever) I dread to think what the house jobs list will look like .

Can't wait to get back to work for an easy life :grin:

Martin,

You need to make sure the jobs given take much longer than expected so visits to the boat, PSA ,  can be fitted in between Travis Perkins or B+Q.

Complaining about tiredness or overwork to gain a day or 3 off a week needs to be added to go fishing. 

Or of course man up and say your off fishing🤣🤣🤣 (then run)

I have done lots of “jobs outstanding” hung an owl box yesterday after 6 months, tied some sole rigs this morning. 

Well done Brian, great to have your boat at home to get up to speed.👍

I was always jealous of people "working from home"

But after less than a week I am now not convinced it is easy at all.

Made less so by being one of a handful working, while most of the other staff are all on Furlough

still also decorating and gardening

Not even started tidying the garage and store room

Not going to get bored , that's for sure.

22 hours ago, Maverick said:

What I want to know is how do you retired types ever cope with the volume of work?  Since lock down  I have been everyday in the garden doing jobs.  When I started there was just a few jobs on my list, after a week slaving away my list has got longer how does that happen?  When I finally finish the garden/exterior list (if ever) I dread to think what the house jobs list will look like .

Can't wait to get back to work for an easy life :grin:

Exactly ! :)

I was always jealous of people "working from home"
But after less than a week I am now not convinced it is easy at all.

Made less so by being one of a handful working, while most of the other staff are all on Furlough

still also decorating and gardening
Not even started tidying the garage and store room

Not going to get bored , that's for sure.
Charlie, I think it depends on your working environment. I'm a desk jockey so can do all my work from anywhere and have worked 2 to 3 days a week from home for 9 years.

It does require a certain amount of displine, but the key is not just for yourself but those who are at home when you are working.

Good luck to all, stay safe and I'm hoping my work level drops to a level representing before lockdown, as since then it has gone mad! (We deploy most IT systems including for people to work remotely and "colaborate" (puke) online!

R

I too work from home - have been full time WFH for the last seven years - and it's not at all like people seem to think. I work with colleagues all over the world so quite often I'm still at my desk late into the night, or very early in the morning so that I can talk to the people I need to talk with to keep our projects moving. I couldn't give that level of focus or "round the clock" attention to the role if I also had to commute to and from the office - our HQ is in London, which is a 90 min commute each way.

On balance I wouldn't have it any other way though - I get to see my kids a lot more than if I was stuck in an office, and I usually find 20 mins to walk the dog between meetings, so for me the benefits definitely outweigh the down-sides... 👍

I've worked from home for 22 years, I go to the office in Basingstoke 1 or 2 days a week, I run the company with another director.

Like Andy I can be up early and also working late as most of our business is international. When I'm working I'm very much working so Diane often complains she doesn't see me much even though I'm in the same house!

I quickly found that if working at home all the time it gets depressing, problems seem worse,  there is no banter, phone calls and video calls help but there is nothing like going into the office regularly. If I lived near the office I would work there almost all the time but as it stands it's 1 hour each way so that 2 hours less work done a day.

Some people are unsuited to home working, they get distracted too easily.

When I was on the freelancer treadmill I used to hate the commuting to large open plan offices sometimes having to commute hundreds of miles a day with overnight stays common during the week.

I was lucky in that I was very much more productive and concentrated on tasks in hand when working from home. in fact I generally had more and better technical resources at home than at the clients premises and certain clients allowed maybe 3 days a week at home.

Pre -freelancing I used to enjoy the banter and interaction of project colleagues in dedicated project member office setups of say 6 desks per enclosed office.It was a very efficient way of working.

Open Plan office working ruined that and when hot desk-ing and paperless working  came in efficiency went down the tubes as did accuracy.How can you check electrical /control wiring drawings sometimes in excess of 350 sheets per set with each sheet having maybe 80 separate cross referencing labels without paper copies.Some clients even removed storage facilities so files had nowhere to live.

Glad I decided to eventually retire..Don't miss the rat race one little bit.

Hopefully this countrywide lock down will instill  more trust in the working from home employer employee relationship.

RANT OVER  off the bed soon😆