New Member Adrian

Ohgreatone

Hi Guys

I joined in January and have been lurking around for a while now.

Retired down to Dorset and have been doing alterations etc to our bungalow in Wool, most of which should be completed by August.

The plan is to buy a boat and go fishing........ so much to learn.....

I'm not a total noob (but almost), been out on numerous charters from Poole and Weymouth and over the years done some shore fishing whenever I got the chance.

So I'm after advice....lots of it.

I'm looking for something launchable not too small but not too big and unmanageable, preferably with a pilot or wheelhouse, probably 17 to 20ft.

Be prepared for lots of questions😁

Hi Adrian

Welcome to the club and I look forward to reading your questions and if I can, responding with suitable advice.

There is so much expertise within the club that I'm sure if you ask the right questions the membership can help you purchase the right boat and equipment that's needed. 

Ready and waiting

Martin

Hi Adrian , Welcome to the club,      ref a boat have you got a budget in mind ?  That rules in or out some conversations                                                                                                          Best wishes Colin

11 hours ago, Colin-58 said:

Hi Adrian , Welcome to the club,      ref a boat have you got a budget in mind ?  That rules in or out some conversations                                                                                                          Best wishes Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for the welcome, budget about £10000

I've looked at warriors seahogs, raiders, etc open to anything really.

Preference would be a small Arvor AS, or an Ocqueteau as they have shaft drive versions, but as per usual probably just out of my price range. Isn't that always the case

Adrian

My response would be, having been down the same road as most on here, is to don't spend all your money on the first boat you see.

Try to crew for as many members as possible, most look for willing helpers from time to time, to see how you feel about the boat you are on. Talk to the owners and see what the querks are on a particular model.

Decide if you want to moor or trail the boat, cost on this point can make a difference to your budget!

Most owners get their first boat then often quickly upgrade to something else more suitable for their needs so as I say don't be in too much of a hurry.

When buying a boat take someone with you who knows about boats/engines

Don't let your heart rule your wallet, good luck :smileys-fish-777679:

Thanks Cody, sound advice.

I'm looking to launch, and my first question is.......

Does size matter😁

Of course smaller boats are easier to manage, and low profiles easier on windy days, but what should I go for.

I have family and grandchildren but too many for one trip. 

I've just seen a Bayliner trophy walkaround 20 ft I like, is that too big, should I go for something smaller

Hi 

I had a 16’ Orkney to start with the problem with it I had was it could be a great day but when you come to take it out often the tide can be very strong and it’s then you can have your hands full getting it back on the trailer so ended up with mooring good luck and welcome to the club 

graham

19 minutes ago, gjb said:

Hi 

I had a 16’ Orkney to start with the problem with it I had was it could be a great day but when you come to take it out often the tide can be very strong and it’s then you can have your hands full getting it back on the trailer so ended up with mooring good luck and welcome to the club 

graham

Where were you launching from, I was thinking of Baiter, is tide an issue there?

Adrian, I had a Warrior 195 (not made any more) with a 150hp outboard which we trailed.  They were 19'10" and weighed over 1400lb without the engine, fuel batteries etc so came in at around 1900lb all up.  2 of us could launch and retrieve at baiter on a full multi roller trailer easily at high water but half way down the slip was very hard work,  at low water forget even trying to retrieve here.  Due to the steepish ramp at Cobbs I could launch there single handed but you obviously pay a premium for launching there.

The trophy boats are imo very good although the older ones "Bayliner" were near the budget end and so was the quality but they are still very useable.  The newer "Trophy" boats are of good quality.  The biggest thing to be careful of is the engine as this can give grief and should you make the wrong choice be very costly.

Hi 

I was going mainly from baiter but also west bay , maybe just me but I found all the in and out and towing took the edge off the day but the other side is I miss going to different places so maybe it’s a compromise no easy answer 

graham