Lowrance Active Imaging sidescan images

Andy135

I thought I'd post up here my experience of the Lowrance Active Imaging sidescan transducer in case it helps anyone in the market for a new FF.

I was out on a group of four wrecks off the SW corner of the IoW back in the summer, and I wanted to test out the new HDS Live 9 and Active Imaging transducer side scan capabilities. Below is a screen shot of the bow of the Kurland (details here: https://map.forgottenwrecks.org/uploads/documents/FWFWW_Site report_Kurland.pdf) compared with the Marine Archaeology Trust's professional sidescan view from the Forgotten Wrecks report.

HDS Live Active Imaging side scan

rDCAmzA.png

Marine Archaeology Trust side scan
vgderFu.jpg

Pretty good correlation between the two I think, and decent resolution. The HDS side scan was taken at 455khz for the wider cone angle. Next time I'm there I'll try the same drift using 800khz so that I can get a better resolution image.

Incidentally, the Forgotten Wrecks Map https://map.forgottenwrecks.org/ is a great resource for wreck hunting on the south coast . Well worth a browse for the history too.

Hi Andy, Well done for posting such an  interesting topic, there is a lot to study with any of the newer finders, i have three sorts, iam still very much a novice at this stage but i set time aside some days iam out to forward my knowledge as to how to get the best out of them.          it then seems to pay off when i go out to fish with experienced fisherman.  Wreck fishing is high  on my list to aim for this summer "weather permitting"  so hopefully some of the "old hands" will be able to aim us in the right direction as to what wrecks have been successful in the last year or two for them. feel sure they will.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Good luck     Colin

Hi Colin, good luck with your wrecking.

In case it helps, here's a tip for you. I find it helpful to plot the bow and stern of the wreck onto the plotter beforehand, so I know how the wreck lies in relation to the drift. It also means I can drift each part of the wreck from bow to stern to find where the fish are congregating.

The DORIS site is good for noting the bow and stern co-ords of each wreck. If you only have a single set of numbers for a wreck it's worth spending time drifting it to plot the bow and stern so it becomes easier to drift each bit of it next time.

Thanks Andy, good sound advise,  i understand some people drop a marker bouy near to the wreck as well to help relocate after a drift as well, and with a smaller second  marker bouy as well can help predict the wind/tide pull if anchoring was prefered.                                                                                                                                 Thanks        Colin.

11 hours ago, Colin-58 said:

Thanks Andy, good sound advise,  i understand some people drop a marker bouy near to the wreck as well to help relocate after a drift as well, and with a smaller second  marker bouy as well can help predict the wind/tide pull if anchoring was prefered.                                                                                                                                 Thanks        Colin.

Hi Colin,

As Maverick says, no need for buoys these days. To see the likely drift line I cut the motor somewhere near to but not over the wreck, and I turn on the Track function on my plotter. This traces the path of my boat onto the map; it looks like there's a line coming out of my boat showing where I've drifted. I use this to show me the drift angle that my boat will take when I'm over the wreck. Once I know the drift angle I can use this knowledge to position myself uptide of the wreck and start the first proper drift.

When you get a drift right, you can use the track line to simply motor back to the start of that drift track on your plotter and repeat.