Where to keep my boat?

Dunc

Hi - my first post so go easy on me!

I currently keep my boat on a trailer in a secure compound at the top of a 24hr access slipway near Portsmouth.  However, we are soon to move to Southbourne and so I'm starting to look at options for where I might keep my boat nearer to our new home - anywhere between Mudeford and Poole would do.  At present, I pay less than £400 pa and I realise it will be more expensive should I move my boat & so it may be that I leave the boat where it is and travel - facilities at the club are great and fishing is normally good east of the island.

I'd therefore welcome any suggestions that anyone may have for a good place to keep my boat should I decide to move it.  Factors to consider include:

- I'd be looking for 24hr access - to wherever the boat is and to the water

- I'm currently out of the UK Apr-Jun and Sep-Nov so the boat could be stored ashore, possibly on my drive, during my time away

- Boat is a Warrior 165

- somewhere with a strong angling community would be ideal.

All suggestions will be gratefully received and I'd also welcome any pricing information that you may have.

Many thanks

Duncan

£400 is remarkably good value compared to Poole area. Christchurch might be an option but I think security is an issue there. The alternative would be dry stack in Poole which is absolutely brilliant and what I have chosen having got bored with trailering, however, you would not get any change out of £2000.00. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Terry.

I keep mine on a trailer at Rockley boat park, you also have the option to dry stack it there.

To keep it on a trailer in the yard which is secure and has slipway access around £1500 per year.

You can ring security to get to your boat out of hours as long as you have made arrangements beforehand.

However there is over night berthing on the water for those early morning get a way's and late coming back.

Driving between Southbourne and Portsmouth and vice versa will be soul destroying at certain times during the year  due to horrendous traffic tail backs although you can overcome these most of the time by timing your journey at silly o clock hours.

My boat is on drystack in Poole but I live in Eastleigh . Due to numerous crappy journeys I have basically vetoed driving  there on weekends and now only go out during the week days outside of rush hour traffic obviously

I live in Salisbury at one time I had a orkney 520 great boat but towing it was a real problem for me I couldn't get anyone to help and have a good day out but it's a lot more easier on a mooring yes I have a bigger boat now but so much easier to use and used much more under normal times when not layed up with a broken hip so as I say the mooring fee becomes less the more that you use it if that makes sense 

Graham 

If you're happy with the fishing where you are then i would save the £1600 for a year and see how the drive is. You may find that at 7 am on a Saturday or Sunday morning the roads are fairly quiet. We regularly travel to hayling from Oxfordshire and the motorways are normally clear in the morning but a bit busier at 5 in the evening 

20 minutes ago, dicky said:

If you're happy with the fishing where you are then i would save the £1600 for a year and see how the drive is. You may find that at 7 am on a Saturday or Sunday morning the roads are fairly quiet. We regularly travel to hayling from Oxfordshire and the motorways are normally clear in the morning but a bit busier at 5 in the evening 

It's a good point.  I currently live north of Swindon and drive to Portsmouth.  The roads are typcially very quiet at 5am!  However, if I'm going to be living less than a mile from the sea, it seems a shame to then travel around 50 miles to get to my tub!

Based on your travel patterns, I think I might try something different.

I'd put in solid ground anchors at your new house, and secure your boat there for most of the year - your cheapest option.

I'd seek an easy-access option for just July and August while you're around, such as Cobbs dry stack/Rockley ashore or Cobb's Quay F pontoon on a monthly deal (if they'll play). That will give you the most leisure time afloat per day during that key period when using the boat, instead of dragging it around.

For the rest of the year, I'd either trail and self-launch at one of the slipways in the area (or multiple slipways to explore other areas), and accept the hassle with waders, day fees, hosing off and towing OR see if Rockley or Cobbs would use their dry storage equipment to lift your boat from the trailer, and launch/retrieve it for you, to save some of the hassles, but at a higher per-trip cost. If you used your boat a couple of times per month when you're around in these quieter times (and with wet/windy weather and shorter day length), it might give you a better boating experience for those days you choose to go out.

I have a neighbour with a very similar boat on his drive, and he doesn't use it much due to the hassle of trail/launch/clean, but wants to hang onto it in case the ideal day comes along when he's free....

Mike

19 hours ago, Coddy said:

As a compromise have you considered Lymington or Bucklers Hard ? 

I know Rockley are looking to enlarge their caravan site plus other work around the boat yard which might have an impact for access when it goes ahead.

Rockley had there planning persimmon refused by NE and are now trying to get people back in the yard after lots of people moving out.

They are developing main complex now.

14 hours ago, Mike Fox said:

Based on your travel patterns, I think I might try something different.

I'd put in solid ground anchors at your new house, and secure your boat there for most of the year - your cheapest option.

I'd seek an easy-access option for just July and August while you're around, such as Cobbs dry stack/Rockley ashore or Cobb's Quay F pontoon on a monthly deal (if they'll play). That will give you the most leisure time afloat per day during that key period when using the boat, instead of dragging it around.

For the rest of the year, I'd either trail and self-launch at one of the slipways in the area (or multiple slipways to explore other areas), and accept the hassle with waders, day fees, hosing off and towing OR see if Rockley or Cobbs would use their dry storage equipment to lift your boat from the trailer, and launch/retrieve it for you, to save some of the hassles, but at a higher per-trip cost. If you used your boat a couple of times per month when you're around in these quieter times (and with wet/windy weather and shorter day length), it might give you a better boating experience for those days you choose to go out.

I have a neighbour with a very similar boat on his drive, and he doesn't use it much due to the hassle of trail/launch/clean, but wants to hang onto it in case the ideal day comes along when he's free....

Mike

Mike - thanks very much for taking the time to construct such a detailed and well thought out post.  You've raised some really good ideas here that I will definitely investigate further.  

Key will be whether I can secure an 'easy access' solution for those summer months.  I would be interested to learn if anyone else on here had any success with similar arrangements?

I'll hopefully be based in the area from this December and so will pay a few visits then and see what, if anything, might be one offer.

Mike - thanks again for an excellent input.

Duncan