Is my boat safe to fish out of the harbour

James498

Hi I am fairly new to boating I have a 17ft Shetland 498 with a 40hp honda 4stroke outboard on it, I was just wondering if my boat would be suitable to fish off of out of the harbour and I was recommended that this would definitely be the place to ask such a question many thanks 

Hi James, welcome

Yes it would be but you need to be aware of the sea conditions, in general you should be ok up to a F2-F3. Assuming you are fairly inexperienced being on a boat at sea there are are lots of factors to take into account, wind direction, swell size, tide.

Then there's the safety side of things, I'm sure Mal will be able to advise on that.

Very similar handling to a Microplus I used to own, eminently suitable in the bay, if you are. If you are unsure of your capabilities, the Club has an arrangement whereby you can take your RYA 2 certificate which will give you valuable knowledge and, perhaps, the confidence to venture farther. As Steve said, Mal will have the details.

Terry.

Hi James,

Welcome to the club.

You don't say how much boating or Poole harbour or Poole bay experience you have.

If you're very inexperienced the RYA level 2 as Terry said is very important.

Also see if others are going out and see if you can " tag along "

Or

See if there are crew spaces on other boats just to get the " feel " of things.

You've joined a fantastic club. We all aim to help each other enjoy our sport as safely as we can.

Jim

Hi James as fellow members have said there are many aspects to safe boating.

The best way to learn is time on a boat with good skippers and Rya training.We can help with training if your interested. VHF radio certificates and boat handling.

There are many pre trip checks that can help to avoid a dangerous or risky trip with good planning

There are Rya booklets available listing all the safety equipment you should carry and well worth purchasing. Obviously life jackets should always be worn.

The weather provides lots of challenges, the least experienced should avoid choppy days. Teach yourself in calm conditions to keep things as simple as possible.

Anchoring is one of our risky tasks and has many hazards, again learn over Sandy areas with little tide, start shallow and move deeper gradually. You will probably need to learn a technique using an Alderney ring unless you have an electric windlass.

Please don’t hold back ask as much as you want I am pleased to help. 

In answer to your original question your boat should be capable of an inshore trip on a calm day but please make sure you do all your Pre trip checks. Your engine should be well maintained and reliable, Carry a mobile and tell people your trip plan so your family know where your going and how long your trip will be.

Hi James

Can I suggest you join the Club.

Lots of experience and knowledge that members are willing to share. We can arrange various training courses (RYA Level 2, VHF Radio etc).

There's always the opportunity to fish in company with other club boats. 

Hi guys sorry for the late reply thank you all very much for all your wise words you have all been very helpful I think I will probably join but I might wait until my boats sorted and on the water, how much is the vhf coarse and how much is powerboat level 2, many thanks