Hydraulic auto pilot pump replacement - Advice needed

Steve S

The auto pilot pump on Tigerfish has worn out (auto pilot errors and pump drops out) I've bought a replacement but I'm not sure how best to drain down the hydraulic fluid to a level where I can change the pump without lots of fluid running out the pipes as I replace them. I would like to do the job with the boat still in the water.

Boat spec: Twin Volvo D4s with outdrives, cabin and flybridge helm, hydraulic steering. Auto pilot pump fitted in the engine bay.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Hi Steve when I did mine I used a clap on the pipes I only used one sheet of kitchen paper to clean up clamp I used is for gas pipes but you can get different types have you tried recommissioning the computer unit mine did this the pump would only move the motor by an inch then back mark

Clamps over the pipes, great idea, thanks.

The motor is defo knackered, the ACU puts up a drive voltage across the motor to make a course connection but the motor does not always respond by powering up to effect the steering change. It might be brushes inside the motor but they are not changeable.