Evening sole trip.

Leicester Fisheagle

Hoping to do a sole trip on the evening of Friday 23rd. August along the piers with Coddy and Dave L. I already have tracks on the plotter and these will be checked for nets etc.on the way down around 7 pm.

Returning to Cobbs around 22. 30 pm.when there is a Bridge which most boats won't need as the Town Bridge clearance should be over 3 meters.

Any boats interested in joining us, please post or PM. Obviously, all subject to the current weather forecast holding.

Allan.

I'll be at the boat tomorrow reinstalling the VHF Aerial which I have now hopefully repaired.

If it works I will of course have to re-christen it with whatever shows up to my mackerel feathers.

I have a few maintenance jobs that also need sorting so won't be able to linger too long though and don't expect to bump into you Sole hunters.

Hope you all have a productive evening:wink:

Tiddler managed to get out with Jacqui & Myself with a view to feathering some Mackerel.

We drifted off the end of B/Mouth pier for a while both close in and out further. Not a sniff Plus a couple of " sports boats " whizzing around so we moved off.

We tried around Boscombe pier with no success.

We tried further out and I found some small Bream on my mini feathers.

I kept one to try for bait with a view to putting slices on a ledger to drift along for something.

Stingray & Fisheagle were heard on the radio saying they'd had a quite few Plaice so I called Allan to ask where they were. I have a hand held radio so not too sure what he said as we were only just in range.

Terry called me and said where he was. I could just make out a tiny white dot and headed over. The water was quite flat but lumpy enough to keep us to 17 / 18 knots so didn't take long. Terry, being a true gent asked if we had any bait ( which we didn't ) so he gave us some. Thanks Terry.;)

I got some nice film of Stingray Terry. Do you want me to put on a disk, Post on Youtube or both ?

We only got 1 small plaice,  2 small Bream & a Gurnard.  No sign of any Mackerel at all :( 

20190823_170357.jpg

On our way back home we saw a Warrior further inshore. Then heard Megabyte &
Fisheagle on the radio.
We called Megabyte and went over to say hello. I took some pictures ( I'll put them
on a disk and bring to next meeting )
Can I ask all members?  ( when you see a members' boat get your camera out and snap
& video away ) It's so hard to get photos of our boats on the water. There may be
loads of not so good ones but there MAY be that great shot that you want to frame.
So remember " Jim says GET YOUR CAMERA OUT ":lol:
We had to go as we wanted to be home in daylight.
Jacqui & Myself had a very enjoyable afternoon. Some eatable fish would have been a
bonus but we enjoyed it anyway.

Jim

20190823_194631.jpg

20190823_194629.jpg

Had a nice evening, left Cobbs at about 18:30, saw Stingray heading in as we were heading out.

Didn’t go as far east as Allan, as didn’t on being out too long, so drifted off Canford Cliffs. Had a chat with Allan on the radio, then a call from Jim on Tiddler who then came alongside for a quick chat, didn’t think to take a photo of the rare sight!!  Sorry Jim.

One Granddaughter (Tamzin) had Smoothhound, Ballan Wrasse and Dogfish.

Other granddaughter (Kate) had something good on but lost it.  Son-in-law and me didn’t even get a nibble.

I must change my tactics, Tamzin put in the least effort of anyone, I baited for her, she just sat and held the rod, didn’t move off the seat all evening.

Back on the berth by 22:30.

The sole didn't come out to play, the area was heavily netted, very little tide, people swimming and of course the fireworks. Message to self, choose a quieter night and perhaps try the harbour. We returned home at 10pm. just after the fireworks. I was amazed at the total lack of lights on a number of small crafts, especially, a very small rib with 4 men on board spotted near the Castle

We left Cobbs on the 12. 30 pm bridge and headed into Swanage where Mike Hall and I had a few nice rays. Mackerel were scarce and small bream a nuisance. A bonus 5 lbs. Bass to me was very welcome. Conditions were calm and the warm sun was extreemly pleasant.

After a couple of hours, a move was called for and we drifted along the shore and past the piers. Again, lots of nets. Plaice were sizeable, but generally small under 12ozs. and all were returned. One around 2lbs. was kept.

We were hoping for a bonus red mullet or trigger, but to no avail. Interestingly, the end of Bournmouth Pier, which fished well last week seemed devoid of anything.

We spoke to several Club boats on the radio. I always feel it is reassuring to know when other Club Members are out there and to make contact at least once.

Overall, the weather made the day, a bonus bass and a few new species for Mike plus lessons learnt on the sole front.

Allan.

Well, I had a great day! Met Pete (gaffa) and Stuie on the pontoon at departure, always good to meet up with members, loaded up and was down at the Christchurch end by about 10'ish after checking out a couple of spots for mackerel. Alun and brother Ian were already in attendance and had made a slow start with the plaice but, fortunately, they switched on a bit with my arrival and the flooding tide getting moving, albeit at a sedate ½ knot! I stuck with it until about 14.00 when things quietened down so toddled off to get some mackerel and try for a bass, unfortunately, not a mackerel to be had and having forgotten about the back up of small pollack, gave up after about an hour. I decided to have a last hour after the plaice again and, miraculously, they had seriously switched on.I was getting double shots of sizeable fish with very few small ones which kept my attention until about 18.00 when I decided to head back to treat Stingray to a good clean down with my newly acquired expanding hose, which worked perfectly and only £12 for 15 mtrs. As he has said, Jim came down to join in the fun but timed it with the switch being toned down a bit so, coupled with a loss of gear and having to re-fettle his rod, cut down his fishing time. Nice to see you caught something though, Jim. 

I returned to Poole well inshore where I had to keep a good lookout for long distance swimmers, canoes and paddle boarders, but, despite keeping a good watch, didn't spot Fisheagle anywhere, did I miss you or were you hiding? I have to say, with all that activity, it would have been difficult to find somewhere to quietly fish for sole, I think Barton might have been a better option.

I shall be off to Denmark next week visiting friends and salmon fishing but will be back down upon my return to give it another go, possibly with a later start and giving the sole a go.

Terry.

Well what a lovely day it was yesterday!

Started of at the secret ray mark on the ebb, plagued by small bream stripping the baits there, no rays but one solitary smoothhound.

Moved to southbourne having a couple of scad on the way but as others have said no mackerel about for me either.

Small plaice in abundance, tub gurnards and 1 grey gurnard and baby smoothounds.

Was on the phone and drifted  inside the yellow buoys , had a bite and up comes a sole , now that was a nice surprise !!:glasses:   Got a picture too !

Ran out of bait and came in about 3pm for good clean up......cracking day out.

Lazy start with son Glen. Went to Durley and drifted for plaice, with assorted extras too. Stayed in ther Durtley Bournemouth pier area all day picking up plenty of plaice, a few small ones but plenty of keepers upto 2lb. Glen had a clonking ballan and I spawned a red mullet. On a rig I managed three at various locations on True Blue last Tuesday. Glen also managed a goldsinny for the boat too. Countlress small bream at times. Great to see plenty of club boats out in the fine weather too.

As an aside we both had lazy lines out at various times and eventually glen's came up trumps - with a sizeable plaice....

38 minutes ago, sparky said:

Was on the phone and drifted  inside the yellow buoys , had a bite and up comes a sole , now that was a nice surprise !!:glasses:   Got a picture too !

Good skill with the sole, a plan is emerging. 😉

Terry.

Well I didn't get out at all 😒

My maintenance tasks varied from completed no problems  to almighty hassle.:grimace:

VHF aerial repair seems to work but could not prove its range as although tried calling Hengisbury Head NCI and Stingray got no reply .Cobbs Marina replied loud and clear it was only 100m away.😉

Main task was to repair my sliding cockpit door which was a lot more involved than first thought.Needless to say boat ended up being put back on rack minus door at the end of the morning and I took the offending parts back home to repair broken guide  rollers and drill out snapped screws and to buy a rivet gun and appropriate rivets (some fixings had been riveted for security).😣

Anyway yesterday afternoon and evenings repairs went well and I turned up at the marina early this morning to refit the repaired  door.Good job I had the early start I had one of the last car park spaces at 07.45 and from then on the place became more and more manic:grimace:

Got everything sorted by about 10.30 and made the decision to get back home rather than take the boat out to miss the bank holiday boat and car traffic .

Had a great trip home as traveling against the traffic which was virtually stopped all the way from Wimborne roundabout A31 to M3 Winchester.

Door slide and locking operate  a treat with new fixings very pleased with my handiwork:grin:

Tomorrows task is to modify my sons kitchen units to fit the new oven and fridge freezer he is about to buy....who says retirement is boring😕

Peteg

29 minutes ago, gaffa said:

Well I didn't get out at all 😒

Tomorrows task is to modify my sons kitchen units to fit the new oven and fridge freezer he is about to buy....who says retirement is boring😕

Peteg

Work is definitely the curse of the retired classes, always far too much to do, I don't know how these young fellas manage to do a job as well. 😁 Good to hear you got it all sorted, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...