Wareham Channel pub

Oli

I've never made it to the pub on the Wareham Channel before but it's on the list of things to do. I believe it's the Old Granary?

Does anyone have any advice? Loads of questions

- How long does it take to get there from the harbour?

- Is it fairly easy to get a spot to moor

- Is it ok for a stern drive boat like SC depth-wise?

- OK on springs as well as neaps?

- Or is it just going to be a load of grief I don't need!

etc!

Thanks in advance

Hi Oli

It can be a lovely trip up there, I went a few weeks ago on a Saturday. It does get busy and there is a lot going on in a very small area. There was two Greenslades ferries there when we arrived, they went not long after with some very skilful boat-handling.

They are running a couple of steam ferries at the moment from the quayside.

There is also the Priory there where you can moor up against if pre booked and going for a meal, very nice.

I would avoid springs unless you are only staying over high water.

If you keep to speed limits it will take nearly an hour to get there from Stakes but plenty to see, seals are about some times around river entrance.

Lovely winter trip out too, nice and quiet, lunch and a pint. 

Worth giving it a go, everything is slow on the river so watch people’s faces if you leave a wash!!

Thanks a lot for this Chris, really helpful. Definitely sounds like one we should do, but not on this weekend's tides! We have friends staying and thought it would be fun but I think I'll wait for neaps.

Any idea if there's anywhere else with water/moorings in the harbour that offers a decent lunch? Is the cobbs restaurant any good? Or are there any visitors berths on Poole Quay even?

We only ever use the boat for fishing so this is all new to me having to plan for something social!

Lake yard has visitor berths and the food is good.

Cobbs Quay yacht club the food is mediocre and hit and miss, upside is the beer is good.

Poole boat haven has visitor berths with several eateries in and around the quay.

Shell Bay Restaurant has a pontoon in the adjacent boatyard (owned by same peeps) but I believe it dries out at low water.  When Veronica and I went earlier this summer (by foot) I asked if we could use the pontoon and the waitress said no probs.  The food here is good and worth a visit.

7 hours ago, Kingfisher 126 said:

Hi Oli

It can be a lovely trip up there, I went a few weeks ago on a Saturday. It does get busy and there is a lot going on in a very small area. There was two Greenslades ferries there when we arrived, they went not long after with some very skilful boat-handling.

They are running a couple of steam ferries at the moment from the quayside.

There is also the Priory there where you can moor up against if pre booked and going for a meal, very nice.

I would avoid springs unless you are only staying over high water.

If you keep to speed limits it will take nearly an hour to get there from Stakes but plenty to see, seals are about some times around river entrance.

Lovely winter trip out too, nice and quiet, lunch and a pint. 

Worth giving it a go, everything is slow on the river so watch people’s faces if you leave a wash!!

The Priory is always good for a mooring and a meal. They do like advance booking and are not children friendly. However food is good with relevant price tag. Tony