Bass Comp 2019

jerry.shutter

Well, JV headed south and rendezvoused with Silver Spray on a mark for mackerel, we ran out almost alongside with SS heading slightly more east.

With baits in the tank, hopes were high.

We had many drifts over the days on the same set of banks, and at least a fish a drift. We couldn't restock the bait tank quickly enough. The macs were like bass sweets.

Many a triple hook up was had and what a cracking day.

We must have had 40+ fish. Nothing of any size, Ian can confirm but his biggest might have been 4lb 6oz.

We seems to have hit a year class as most of them were like peas in a pod, around 2.5lb.

Smaller than last time we visited but more prolific.

Silver Spay paid us a visit for the last drift (over 3.knts), not sure what day they had and whether they had been searching around for fish or just big fish.

Great day, bass and macs for dinner, great lunch (thanks Ian) and super company.

Rob

I decided to stick inshore for the bass comp; mackerel and scad were few and far between and mostly the ones caught were too big for bait, a herring did also show up, first of the year for me. The biggest of the scad weighed exactly a 1lb. It took well over 2 hours before there were a few decent baits in the live well. When I finally started for bass they were having it but there was a lot of weed around which made it frustrating and I soon ran out of decent bait, not helped by a few dying when the live well filter got blocked with eel grass, that's the second week running that's happened, grrr.  Tried a live pollock of probably just under a 1lb and had a couple of takes on that from bass with eyes bigger than their belly, I saw them but they dropped off before I could net them.

The biggest of the bass went 6lb 5oz weighted back at the marina for accuracy, I returned it. Others were mostly around 4lb with a couple at 2lb or so taken while fishing for bait.

92608848_Bass6-53Aug2019.jpg.bdad9934760a80933e96b6f0cbe1b1fd.jpg

Lovely healthy looking fish Steve.

Well done for returning it.

Been a few years since I had a Bass so I'd be eating it so I take my hat off to you for putting it back ! 

Jim

I do take some to eat Jim, we just have enough fish at home at the moment so back it went.

The livebait tank that came with the boat is great (aside from eel grass blocking) it allows a couple of big bass to stay alive so decisions about which ones to keep can be made late in the day which saves catch a 3 pounder keep or return dilemma.

Loobie1V headed west with Kev and Jacob as crew. Live bait no problem but the Bass were!!

Kev falling asleep, the Fastnet race and first Sunfish for a couple of years were the highlights of our day!!

Well done all those who caught in an Easterly, my excuse🙄🙄

8CED03A7-B7A4-40BC-BA8E-09BF9F576EED.jpeg

23EC513E-C707-4023-8B03-679F537EF131.jpeg

Tarlach Too never made it

Went to the pub at island harbour and had lunch and beer instead

Little one tripped in the “soft” playground and head butted a horizontal metal bar !!

He’s fine, just now sporting a manly cut to his hair line !!! dc853bf92ed71f6d5fbe2e533cde4be0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Oli said:

Sweet Chariot went east but time constraints meant we could only get out for the morning flood. A bit lumpier out on the banks than expected but still an enjoyable day with plenty of fish, best bass at 5lb6oz. 

Someone tried to add me on the catch reporter for this fish. To be clear that was the best fish on SC but Duncan (non club member) caught it not me (even with my arms stretched out as far as possible that unfortunately wasn’t big enough!). Don't want to be wrongly claiming a podium spot!