Diesel tank sludge

Tarlach.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, Tarlach. said:

The list is not any worse no. She is supposed to be double skinned as in laid up in construction (as I understand it) like the rodmans. No waste tank and water tank is dead centre of the deck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most boats will have a slight list which in some may not show until underway.  This can be caused by numerous reasons a few of which are: weight distribution, batteries can add a lot of weight to one side, distribution of crew, when underway prop torque in single engined boats can be a big factor, wind and tides can cause listing.  I have this problem on my boat which is weather dependant.  Answer can be as simple as using trim tabs which is all I do with wind/tide induced listing.

Re Rodman's having double skin, mine doesn't not sure about other models though.

Good luck with sorting your issues, it will be worth it in the end

Hi Neil, sounds quite few issues there, did you get a survey done before you handed over the money?

As there is no waste tank you should not use it unless well out at sea, that can be a pain. Could be worth investigating getting one fitted.

The list doesn't sound good at all, unless maybe you have just decanted your lead weights on one side....

Yeah I’ve tried moving my 1lb leads about but, to no avail !!
I’m hoping that the balancing pipe between the two fuel tanks is blocked, hence maybe the starboard tank not emptying and causing the list !!!!
I’ve done rough science this morning and I’m about 80kg heavy on the starboard side. If the starboard tank (200lt) is still full then that could well be it ?? Here hoping that the tanks assessment goes well and once cleaned and both working in conjunction with each other the problem rights itself .
I did get a survey done yes but, it was not picked up. Neither was the lack of continuity on the prop, or the fact that the raw water cooling pipe is not up to current iso standards etc etc etc . Surveyor yet to get his money !!

Hi Neil, you might not actually have a balance pipe, worth checking!

My boat has twin 200l tanks with separate fuel lines and primary filters.

I have to change tanks when down to about 25 percent, to avoid the risk of air getting into a pickup pipe when heeling.

I have change over levers for fuel supply and return feed, that goes to a single secondary filter.

The two tanks are deliberately separate to avoid cross-contamination.

You might just have a full tank that side.

Mike

Hi Neil, you might not actually have a balance pipe, worth checking!
My boat has twin 200l tanks with separate fuel lines and primary filters.
I have to change tanks when down to about 25 percent, to avoid the risk of air getting into a pickup pipe when heeling.
I have change over levers for fuel supply and return feed, that goes to a single secondary filter.
The two tanks are deliberately separate to avoid cross-contamination.
You might just have a full tank that side.
Mike

Hi Mike
I’m led to believe that my tanks are balanced. I have two separate tanks each has it’s own filler cap. They are linked by a horizontal pipe which has a quarter turn lever valve mid way along the run. There is only one float gauge though which I find weird. Both tanks flow through just one fuel filter !! Does that sound like a balanced tank set up ??

Neil

Neil is there any way you could dip each tank to find out if they are filled equal?

Hi Martin
I could possibly squeeze myself in and remove the filler hose from the top of the tank but, seeing as I need them cleaned out anyway I’m going to wait til this is done (booked for end of this week) and then see if there is any difference in the list.
If not then it’s back to the drawing board !!

Neil

As you have two fillers 

It would be easy to add fuel to one side until full and then see if you can add any to the other. If balanced they should level off as you fill.

but you may need to allow a little time to run through the balance pipe and settle. 

If not balanced you would find that plenty of fuel would still go into the second tank.

I would start with the tank on the high side to see if the list improves.

Of course I would not do this prior to polishing the system as it just add more fluid to have cleaned.

As you have two fillers 

It would be easy to add fuel to one side until full and then see if you can add any to the other. If balanced they should level off as you fill.
but you may need to allow a little time to run through the balance pipe and settle. 

If not balanced you would find that plenty of fuel would still go into the second tank.

I would start with the tank on the high side to see if the list improves.

Of course I would not do this prior to polishing the system as it just add more fluid to have cleaned.

Yes , but I’m hoping that once the tanks are cleaned there will be no need for any of that and the balance will be restored
I’m down here now and have just knocked on the tanks. The starboard tank does have a deeper sound to it than the port tank, hopefully indicating that it is all full on that side !!

This is the twin filter setup on JV. Only single tank, but if one gets clogged, it can be switched across in seconds with the red valve handles.

R1fdcc930867290474693ff5b35aae800.jpg

Nice set up rob , definitely one to aspire to in the future. Think I’ll get the tanks and full electronics suite sorted first though!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice set up rob , definitely one to aspire to in the future. Think I’ll get the tanks and full electronics suite sorted first though!!

Ok, so a quick follow up on this subject.
Last week I had the tanks on Tarlach Too cleaned out and the fuel polished. Balance pipe tested as clear. 3 access hatches were required to be cut in on each tank . Not loads of sludge but by far enough to cause problems. In line separator fuel filter replaced and also primary engine filter replaced (all by my own fair hands I’ll add)!!
Manufacturers Max revs not achieved again thank god !

So now into the electronics suite !!
I’ve just ordered........

Garmin

GPSmap 8410 X 2
AIS 800
GT40
LVS12
GMS10

I have managed a 35% discount off of RRP. Still a whole lot of money but, hopefully it will last many many many years ...!!

All building up to Alderney 2020 I hope !!!

Now I need to rest my wallet and hide the receipts

On a serious note was balance restored? and in your last post did you mean manufacturer's full revs achieved?

Balance pretty much sorted Martin, I’m still listing to starboard but only by 20mm over 3.5m. As Ive said, when under way she is level so it’s only when on the pontoon ! I’m putting this down to a manufacture defect as there is no reason for it.
Engine is Revving at max manufacturers stated rpm yes !!

Slightly related:

JV needed and new fuel sender and the old one was messing about. All tests suggested sender so, one was ordered.

Whilst on this job with tank pulled forward, it was planned to put a small hatch in the hatch!

The main hatch has 30/40 bolts and is for getting in to clean etc, what was planned was an easy access option that doesn't ruin the gasket, take an hour or mean the tank has to be empty enough to pull forward.

So a had SureWeld behind Castlepoint cut the hole, drill the bolt holes and they welded nuts on the back to make them captive. Great job, great price.

Also, large enough to eyeball the tank with a torch and get your hand in if you so desire.

Tested out today, and seems to help catch bass somehow!

R80334705ecef38b91ab60973a1c4b07d.jpg4c69172e1fc391a6c796829e06ff7a62.jpg153c50a29225eefe2942d92b7b460444.jpg