Diesel tank sludge

Tarlach.

Having purchased a lovely new to me boat, I’m still to get out and go fishing .
So far the vhf radio has packed up and been replaced. Engine has been serviced then developed an oil gasket leak. All the silicone in the deck has been cut out and removed as was leaking through in to the lazarettes .
Wednesday I finally managed to find a window to go have a short blast, took a couple of mates and headed off. It was quite choppy so just ended up going for lunch in ocean village instead of cowes.
All good on the way there but, half way home the engine dropped revs from 3200 to 2500 then down to 2200 with a WOT speed of just 10knotts .
Oh flip I thought!!
Turns out the choppy conditions had stirred up a load of sludge from the bottom of the tanks and blocked the filters. Glad it wasn’t anything more terminal but now I need to add having the tanks drained, cleaned and fuel polished to my expanding list of things to do!!

Have not been fishing since mid December , really starting to become an annoyance.
On the other hand the weather has not been brilliant and I’ve got a tan from holiday !! Thinking that this season is going to be a complete right off !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you've cleaned it out Neil you might want to put some diesel treatment in the tank as it sounds like it may have had the bug at some time.
I've always used " Fuel Set" on mine, had boat for 10 years now and touch wood never had sludge problem even after being in rough conditions.

Yes I will be doing just that , can well do without this problem again!!

Looking out of my office window there is a van in the boatyard cleaning one of our Members fuel tanks

Company name CP Fuel Polishing
07716 851901

If all else fails give them a call.

Thanks Charlie,
I have two companies coming next week to do full assessments and give quotes for the operation. Hopefully one of them will be acceptable but, I’ll hold on to that number just in case !
Neil

Neil the fuel polishing and filter cleaning will be just in time for nature doing it's own sea water filtering. The water has cleared and the fish should be coming on the feed after the breeding season is coming to a close and May rot filtering out.

Enjoyment will come after getting over some teething problems and a T H deal out of your system.👍

Neil the fuel polishing and filter cleaning will be just in time for nature doing it's own sea water filtering. The water has cleared and the fish should be coming on the feed after the breeding season is coming to a close and May rot filtering out.
Enjoyment will come after getting over some teething problems and a T H deal out of your system.

Cheers Mal, sound words. I am a little boosted by the fact that the weather has not been the best. What’s a TH deal btw?

Neil,

Just polish your wallet and filter your change and save for a couple of pints in Norway
My boat is kicking up lots of problems and snagging, your not alone

Trying to do just that Jerry, there is always something to do eh !!
Surprised your new boat is throwing you problems, nothing too severe I hope?

The listing is a worry, have you got a waste tank and a water tank?? Check the levels in those. Has the listing become worse since see has been sat in the water?
Did you say she is a double skin boat at the very begining.?

The list is not any worse no. She is supposed to be double skinned as in laid up in construction (as I understand it) like the rodmans. No waste tank and water tank is dead centre of the deck !

43 minutes ago, Tarlach. said:

You have experience of Trevor then Mal?

We spoke about him at the Club meet and I have seen his ads on FAFB. You told me about the dispute over the window and carriage.

We spoke about him at the Club meet and I have seen his ads on FAFB. You told me about the dispute over the window and carriage.

Oh yes that’s right, sorry, senior moment

Just spoken with Stuart white at sales@swukmarine.co.uk. They are the Starfisher maindealer / agent with contacts to the manufacturers in Spain. He has never had any listing issues before. He was very helpful and offered assistance if you email him, he also offered a pdf manual if the boat does not have one. The boat is a single think skin boat with a heavy duty lay up.

Trust this is of some help in your quest to explain the list.

Just spoken with Stuart white at sales@swukmarine.co.uk. They are the Starfisher maindealer / agent with contacts to the manufacturers in Spain. He has never had any listing issues before. He was very helpful and offered assistance if you email him, he also offered a pdf manual if the boat does not have one. The boat is a single think skin boat with a heavy duty lay up.
Trust this is of some help in your quest to explain the list.

Hi Mal, thanks for that. I have already spoken to Stuart in the past and to be honest his words are lovely but his actions are the opposite. I managed to get a line drawing pdf from him but, after that he is not interested. I’ve emailed and called since and he NEVER returns calls or emails!! Only interested in selling new boats !!
I appreciate your efforts !
Neil

Hi Neil you are lucky getting the line drawling from Stuart I wanted one for my boat that I bought from him but never got one If you have a toilet you will have have a tank

I have the 790ob like your boat the tank is on the starboard side in the space next to the pilot seat ps you cant get to it I had to disconnect mine mine is a little bow heavy as I fitted a bow thruster how does it steer in the marina

mark

Hi Neil you are lucky getting the line drawling from Stuart I wanted one for my boat that I bought from him but never got one If you have a toilet you will have have a tank
I have the 790ob like your boat the tank is on the starboard side in the space next to the pilot seat ps you cant get to it I had to disconnect mine mine is a little bow heavy as I fitted a bow thruster how does it steer in the marina
mark

Mark, I defiantly do not have a tank mate. The pipe from the loo goes straight out through the hull sea cock fitting !!

Hi Neil, sounds quite few issues there, did you get a survey done before you handed over the money?

As there is no waste tank you should not use it unless well out at sea, that can be a pain. Could be worth investigating getting one fitted.

The list doesn't sound good at all, unless maybe you have just decanted your lead weights on one side....