On 5/24/2019 at 7:30 PM, Hooky said:

Doombar IS going out but full crew.

Bass hunting on the entrance

Leaving about 6; 30 , Lure chucking and hoping for some fresh bait for Sunday 

No idea on time back , looks like it's just one boat only 🏁

Come on Hooky, the suspense is killing me!!:grin:

On 26 May 2019 at 11:36 AM, great white said:

How did it go ??

Errrrrr , the social evening , ? Well that was very nice .

@Mike Hall @Gummage

Driving down from Swindon ( he does indeed get up at 4' 30 ish for work) and meeting up at Hookys mansion for 6.30 in the evening must take some serious dedication for a few hours on the water .

I was also very tired at the end of a very busy Saturday so a fair few hours got spent moored by the custom house steps eating some VERY good fish & chips ( Hartleys) while listening to a live band in the evening sunshine .

I did a few shouts on channel 6 but no replys off to the edges of Hook sands with lures .

Very small tides and blankets of weed made it impossible !

Tucked up inside Old Harry for a couple of hours into darkness , 2 X dogfish and that was that .

Such a beautiful evening under the stars with superb company , discussing important political issues & who is the most fantastic woman on the TV ( the vote was won on the third re- count to Dr Alice Roberts ) .

My thought is ending a very busy week on a boat is important to my own needs , selfish ???  Maybe but again it still goes back to many of us work virtually every day including weekends so this is the only way we can get out for a few hours in the evenings .

If you can't get crew for your own boat please consider going out with someone else , we would ( of course ) like to be out and skippering our own craft , those logistics may mean it just won't happen.

Im just a club member, I have a nice safe boat , I'm a pretty decent skipper that will make sure you will come back having enjoyed a few hours out ( for free) .

You may not catch anything ,, You may not enjoy the endless drivel and banter , ( we love to be very social on Doombar ) .

From that perspective our evening was a success , 

Glad you got out and enjoyed yourselves

Some of those evening trips are great.

Last year Wendy and I did a few, leaving from work within minutes of me clocking off at 5

Usual plan was I took all the tackle with me and got the boat ready at lunch time. Wendy sorts out provisions in a cooler and picks up bait on her way down.

Leave Marina at about 1710 coming back just before dark 3.5 hrs later

We have had plenty of fish in some places , a nice picnic and cups of tea and enjoyable relaxing time.

If other Members join me instead of Wendy,  the return is usually delayed until after dark and the fishing taken more seriously a bit further out of the harbour. easiest way is to get them to pick up fish and chips on route

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday evening (June 22nd)

Doombar , leaving F pontoon @ Cobbs.

Crew @Mike Hall

6pm ish until 11 ish

Venue , off the piers .

Bring your squid jigs 😉

Targeting Sole, Plaice etc

One place going for full club members ( pm me please ) 

I believe Frank and Yan are coming to play 

So a evening report 

Met up with Megabite by Aunt Betty, Good advise given, it's not very nice out there !

So off we go , found it rather bumpy on the way out , that bloody slamming :cry: so we found Happy Hooker , very kindly let us have a few Mackerel for bait ( sorry about the wee ding ) 

40 odd ft of water about half mile SE off the pier , nothing really happening but was joined by Boy Colin & Megabite .

A few of them had been out for most of the day , tales of a fantastic days catch (come on Colin) the VHF was very lively !

A decision was made to move inshore just as it got dark , Three Sole first drop on Happy Hooker , errrr we must b doing it wrong 😂

So so tonight's tally was all small fish ( Plaice, Gurnard, Bream Pouting Doggies Smoothhound ) but once again these evening trips are geared towards social gathering .

I have also had a brilliant evening on my first "" Pen Rod Challenge """"" Truly great fun can be had with a lively Smoothhound ( I will think on this for further evenings ) 

It all went very well , roll on those summer evenings , it's so good to fish in company , thanks chaps.