Alderney method

etian

Our boat lacks a windlass, and pulling up the anchor can prove to be extremely difficult in some cases. In what situation is it safe and appropriate to use the alderney method? I have tried it a few times with varying levels of success, and wouldn't mind some tips.

I always use an Alderney ring system for retrieval, it is not that difficult if you know the rules. Example is generally the best form of instruction so I would advise going out with another member who will show you how. I'm sure you will get plenty of offers.

Terry.

• 10 months later...

I realise this thread is quite a few months old, but in case future members find this thread I thought I'd share my learnings for what it's worth...

Plus points:

No need to go up front to drop or recover the anchor - can be done from the safety and comfort of the deck area.

Done right, it can be a very easy way to retrieve.

Negative points:

Needs a bit of room to manoeuvre back uptide when retrieving. No good if you have a boat lying uptide of you as you'll need to navigate around/past them whilst trailing your anchor, line and buoy. Not recommended.

I found that to begin with I was being too gentle on the throttle and the chain wasn't pulling all the way through the ring, so don't be afraid to use more revs. You'll know when the anchor is fully engaged in the ring as you'll see the buoy disappear under a wall of white water and you'll feel the boat speed slow marginally as it drags the buoy properly.

Don't forget to stow your line and chain safely - don't leave it lying in a heap on deck! I retrieve my line into a builders bucket and coil it as I go, ending with the chain, anchor and buoy on the top of the line.

As others have said, the best way to learn is to watch others demonstrate the technique, but failing that, find an empty patch of sea, shallower the better (within reason!) and have a gentle practice. Once you've done it a couple of times it'll start to click and your confidence will build.

If you practice this method make sure you have at kleast 25 ft of water or you will not pull the chain through the ring and you will end up polishing your anchor if you are doing this in the bay. Persosnal experience of trying to demonstrate this on a rough windy evening.

Tony