Rnli Safety advice and video links

Mal Thomas

As your safety officer I try not to teach old sea dogs new tricks and new members get most of the attention at meetings and using the website however these are a few links to video's and pictures that we should all watch from time to time as a reminder of how risky our leisure choice can be.

https://www.rnlivideolibrary.org.uk/play/MJOazGlW

https://www.rnlivideolibrary.org.uk/play/GkHBtH3S

https://www.rnlivideolibrary.org.uk/play/xotzY45R

calling-for-help-handheldvhf-1500x844-96dpi.png

44797-sea-safety-andrew-parish-16x9.jpg

Your right Jerry, it is the situations that occur during the anchoring and retrieving process when I think we put ourselves at most risk. Usually because something has gone wrong with the equipment on the bow where we are not as safe as when we are in the deck area.

I think out judgement becomes clouded by the issue, cool calm thinking saves the day, may be our lives or an injury.

Our experienced skippers have this skill, our less experienced skippers might be flustered by the problem. I know I was when I lost my first Anchor on the ledge.

A quick risk assessment and take a minute to let the heart rate slow down is always a good policy. Can you wait till the slack tide? things are much easier when the water is not rushing by at 2 knots, do not do anything in haste.

When a ton of pressure is on the rope and tangled in the gypsy do not be tempted to get your fingers in their till the rope is tied off to the Anchor.

Always have an alternative, can your raise the Anchor with an Alderney ring. I always keep my Alderney ring and a large buoy ready for use if the winch breaks down.

If anybody reading this wants some reassurances of their procedures, just add a comment and we will sort out a useful reply. 

last autumn when i was anchoured by Portland Bill, the tide built and chaters moved off. When we went to leave, i haev not seen so much pressue on the anchor rope\rode, wow! to normally pop in to reverse to lift to rope and see the buoy. The amout of welly need to get the rope slightly up was serious, then proceeded with the usual wide arch off to port. The rope stayed so deep for such a long time, i had my crew holding on as if that had stuck fast we would have got the stadard pull round of the bow. which can be aggressive, and with 3.5\4knts of tide, doing 8knts suddenly across the tide would have easily caught someone not holding on out. Thankfully all was well and the anchor lifted nicely, but the tide was impressive!!! No wonder the charters had departed already. They do know thier stuff around there!

I am not even sure longer \ more rope would have helped - i was at 90\100m holdins in about 35m.

R